Windows 10: How to disable Updates, Telemetry and more?

Discus and support How to disable Updates, Telemetry and more? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, im tired of windows downloading stuff in the background every 10 mins. How do i disable Updates and any kind of information windows can download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MrM0dZ, Dec 26, 2019.

1. /u/MrM0dZ Win User

How to disable Updates, Telemetry and more?

Hi, im tired of windows downloading stuff in the background every 10 mins.

How do i disable Updates and any kind of information windows can download in the background?

I have a 200kb/s connection and very limited, already set to metered connection but windows doesn't seem to care.

I want to manually install updates, not having them downloaded in the background.

I don't care if i might get any kind of infection via malware, ransomware or anything else, j just eant to use my connection smoothly without windows messing it up by downloading something in the background.

Already used: ShutUp10 Group Policies Regedit (update key) Disabled services Set metered connection

I know it's windows using my connection since everytime i kill the services it goes back to normal.

submitted by /u/MrM0dZ
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MrM0dZ, Dec 26, 2019

2. Disabling Windows Compatibility Telemetry - Windows 10

Hello,

Windows telemetry inform our decisions and focus our efforts in providing the most robust, most valuable platform for your business and the people who count on Windows to enable them to be as productive as possible. Telemetry gives users a voice in
    the operating system’s development. For more information regarding Windows telemetry, you may check this
    article.

If you don't want to participate in providing automatic feedback to improve the operating system, we can disable Windows Telemetry by following these steps:

• Run the Services desktop application.
    • Locate Diagnostics Tracking Service in the services list, and open its
      Property Sheet.
    • Stop the Diagnostics Tracking Service, and then change the Startup Type to
      Disabled.
    • Click OK.
    We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Antoneth Ber, Dec 26, 2019
  3. Disabling Windows Compatibility Telemetry - Windows 10

All your reply does, is show Microsoft's disconnect from reality. For one, there's no longer a Diagnostics Tracking Service. That's no coincidence, btw, as MS purposely keeps changing the compat telemetry stuff around (so people have a harder
    time disabling it). And/or keep re-enabling the compat telemetry in nearly every update. Read the thread. So, processblocker is the ONLY thing, so far, that truly, and persistently, blocks your compat telemetry now.

'Telemetry gives users a voice in the operating system’s development.' And, pray-tell, what is this?! Am I supposed to feel empowered now?! If you guys would REALLY listen to us, you wouldn't be constantly going out of your way to shove the compat telemetry
    in our faces to begin with.

But since this is the probably the closest we get to having your ear, please hear this: compatTelRunner is an incredibly invasive piece of software, which constantly keeps your disk(s) bogged down. For instance, I have some junctions on my SSD to my game
    disk. And no, I really don't want the combat telemetry malware to scan my entire game disk at every change made to my install. I really don't. And I really don't get why you people don't get that.

If you really want us to 'be as productive as possible', then stop trashing our hard disks!

meimeiriver2, Dec 26, 2019
  4. torre Win User

Win10 Telemetry

Good article from ZDNet.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...on-off-switch/

torre, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

1. How to disable Updates, Telemetry and more? - Similar Threads - disable Updates Telemetry

2. How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1?: How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1? Please note that it is Windows 8.1 eight point one and that "Task Scheduler" is not found after searching for it on Windows 8.1 so the previously posted "solution" does not work for me....
  3. How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1?: How to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on Windows 8.1? Please note that it is Windows 8.1 eight point one and that "Task Scheduler" is not found after searching for it on Windows 8.1 so the previously posted "solution" does not work for me....
  4. Disabling Telemetry no longer actually disables telemetry, even in Enterprise. Instead...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling Telemetry no longer actually disables telemetry, even in Enterprise. Instead...: Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/uQFu654.png Both the Group Policy setting (and its corresponding Registry Editor setting) are applied to the old "Disable Telemetry" option. (Setting the GPO also sets the Registry setting.) But look here, at least in Build 21H1, Option 0...
  5. Disabling Telemetry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling Telemetry: I purchased a Windows 10 Pro license and feel strongly that as a paying customer rather than someone that was "gifted" a copy of the Home edition when I bought my laptop, I should have a degree of control over the operating system. I've disabled telemetry every time W10 is...
  6. Recent guide to disabling telemetry/spying/auto-updates?

Recent guide to disabling telemetry/spying/auto-updates?: Hey all. I've been using Windows 7 still largely to avoid the online features of Windows 10. Recently I've hit a roadblock where I need W10 on a machine for driver compatibility but I still need this machine to operate in a stable unattended configuration without getting...
  7. Is there an updated guide for how to disable telemetry and remove bloat

Is there an updated guide for how to disable telemetry and remove bloat: The eol for win 7 finally made me get win 10 earlier this week. There was a lot of hullabaloo about privacy and the like when win 10 was new and my cursory searches turn up a lot of guides about messing with registry in various ways to improve upon the OS. Most of them are...
  8. Windows September 2019 Updates: more search woes and Telemetry

in Windows 10 News
    Windows September 2019 Updates: more search woes and Telemetry: Microsoft released security updates and regular updates for all versions of Windows on yesterday's September 2019 Patch Tuesday. It does not take long, usually, before an assessment can be made on the quality of the released updates. Microsoft fixed the high CPU usage issue...
  9. Registry setting to disable telemetry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Registry setting to disable telemetry: Is there a registry setting that would disable telemetry to Microsoft - - without creating "Some settings are managed by your organization" problem? 59236
  10. How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10: How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10 Windows 10 now comes with the telemetry feature enabled by default which collects all sorts of user activity and sends it to Microsoft. Unfortunately, Microsoft has provided no way to disable it completely using...