Windows 10: How to disable web search in Start Menu?

Discus and support How to disable web search in Start Menu? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I have Windows 10 version 1909 and I want to disable stupid web search that open useless Edge browser if I type file name wrongly and then I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Qiasm, Jul 24, 2020.

1. /u/Qiasm Win User

How to disable web search in Start Menu?

Hello,

I have Windows 10 version 1909 and I want to disable stupid web search that open useless Edge browser if I type file name wrongly and then I click enter and browser opens how to disable that?

submitted by /u/Qiasm
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Qiasm, Jul 24, 2020

2. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      How to disable web search in Start Menu? a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Jul 26, 2020
  3. Carlo Fer Win User
    Disable Store and Web search in Start Menu

Hello
    SystemSupport346,

Since the steps above did not work for you, we suggest that you disable web search by navigating the settings of Cortana itself. Please follow the steps below:

• Open the search box in the taskbar.
    • Click the Notebook icon.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • On the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Turn off the Search online and include web results. See screenshot below:

How to disable web search in Start Menu? 4b6583c8-efc0-4f9f-a9a0-4ce531f271db?upload=true.png

Hope this information helps you. Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Carlo Fer, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

How to disable search the web option in Search/Cortana?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable search the web in Search/Cortana. The option to disable this feature was available in the older build version of Windows, however, this option has been removed in the latest version of Windows. This seems to be
    a useful option, hence, I would suggest you to post a feedback in the Microsoft
    Feedback Hub
    so that our developing team can review it and check if they can provide the option back in a newer build of Windows.

However, you may try to modify the Group Policy settings and check if that works. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
    4. On the right pane, double click on Don’t search the web or display web results in Search
      and select Enabled.
    5. Click on OK. Restart the computer.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

1. How to disable web search in Start Menu? - Similar Threads - disable web search

2. How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?: I dont want the web search in the windows start menu. How to disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-web-search-in-the-windows-start/482128ff-7b6f-4847-bde9-7d97ca79c1af
  3. How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable web search in the Windows start menu?: I dont want the web search in the windows start menu. How to disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-web-search-in-the-windows-start/482128ff-7b6f-4847-bde9-7d97ca79c1af
  4. Disable web search in the windows 11 Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable web search in the windows 11 Start menu: this is annoying when i use search in the start menu i want it to search applications and local files i do not want it using Bing and lunching edge I use Searx and Firefox and if i want to search the net I know how to open a browser and searchis there a way to force the...
  5. Disable web search in the windows 11 Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable web search in the windows 11 Start menu: this is annoying when i use search in the start menu i want it to search applications and local files i do not want it using Bing and lunching edge I use Searx and Firefox and if i want to search the net I know how to open a browser and searchis there a way to force the...
  6. How can I disable web results from the start menu search?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I disable web results from the start menu search?: The update from last night added web results to my start menu search. I do not want web results in my start menu searches. If I want to search the web, I will open Chrome or Firefox and google it.I already looked in search settings, but nothing allows me to disable web...
  7. Disable Start Menu Web Search?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Start Menu Web Search?: What's the current way to disable the web search? Preferably without editing the registry submitted by /u/HeyLittleMonkey [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8ptap/disable_start_menu_web_search/
  8. Disable 'Search the web' on Start Menu Search May 2020 update

in Cortana
    Disable 'Search the web' on Start Menu Search May 2020 update: Windows 10 Pro 2020 Update Hi Folks, How do I disable the 'Search the web' option on the start menu under build 2004 when searching? For example when I click start and type BBC the option is shown [ATTACH] I have disabled the 'Cloud content search' options under...
  9. disable web search start menu 1909

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    disable web search start menu 1909: Does anyone know how to disable the start menu sending everything you type in there to microsoft? I tried the tricks from previous builds ( reg entries forAllowSearchToUseLocation,BingSearchEnabled and CortanaConsent ) but in 1909 it continues to send whatever I search for...
  10. Disable web searches in Start menu

in Cortana
    Disable web searches in Start menu: I need to be able to disable web searches in the Start menu. We have several Windows 10 laptops that we use to administer exams, and obviously we cannot have students able to search the internet during their exams. Having no way to disable this feature makes these laptops...