Windows 10: How to discover or know when a defined power plan turns off computer monitors?

Discus and support How to discover or know when a defined power plan turns off computer monitors? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How to monitor when power plan turns off computer monitor? There are events for locking and unlocking the system, events for when the screensaver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jibunnokage, Nov 6, 2020.

1. How to discover or know when a defined power plan turns off computer monitors?

How to monitor when power plan turns off computer monitor? There are events for locking and unlocking the system, events for when the screensaver activates and deactivates. Even events for when a given system crashes, shuts down gracefully, etc. But there appears to be no even logging in the Windows Application, Security or even System logs when the power plan turns off the monitors. Nor does powercfg.exe track this state, it only tracks when the system goes into sleep mode or hibernation mode for example, but not when the monitors are turned off. There is explicit difference between when the screen saver turns off the monitors versus when the power plan turns off monitors, I have tested and validated this is the case. I know with 100% validation, that the power plan, turning off, monitors is a completely separate process from screen saver, or lock screen functionality.

So, how can I track when the power plan turns off monitors? I need to do this via command line, VB Script. .NET, or PowerShell. I would prefer not to use a 3rd party executable, but if that is the only option, that would be ok as well. If I have to write my own application, that would be the least desired solution but is also a possibility if needed.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to track when the power plan turns off monitors? Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

:)

Jibunnokage, Nov 6, 2020
  2. John Fer Win User

Power plan?

Upon checking, it seems that there's nothing wrong with your system. It is usual that you have to double-click your mouse before your monitor wakes up.

For the meantime, we suggest changing the power plan by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type in Power Settings.
    • On the pop-up window, choose Additional power settings.
    • Select High performance.

After changing the power plan, we suggest that you monitor the changes made and check if that will work for you.

Get back to us if you need further help.

John Fer, Nov 6, 2020
  3. power plan

Hi Charles,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Try to run the following commands and check if it helps.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:
    WSReset.exe.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Run the Power Troubleshooter.

Power troubleshooter will automatically fix some common issues with Power Plans. Run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how
    long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Troubleshooting

• Select Troubleshooting and click on
      System and Security.

• Click on Power and follow the
      onscreen steps.
    Delete the current power plan and create it again. Refer to the following link to change the power plan to suit your needs.

Power plans: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/power-plans-faq Refer to the section:
    How to create and delete a power plan

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 6, 2020
  4. How to discover or know when a defined power plan turns off computer monitors?

Computer slow after resetting power plan...?

Hi Pixelsam,

Restart the computer and check. Also, check for Windows updates.

Try to run the following commands and check if it helps.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:
    WSReset.exe.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Run the Power Troubleshooter.

Power troubleshooter will automatically fix some common issues with Power Plans. Run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how
    long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Troubleshooting

• Select Troubleshooting and click on
      System and Security.

• Click on Power and follow the
      onscreen steps.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

How to discover or know when a defined power plan turns off computer monitors?

1. How to discover or know when a defined power plan turns off computer monitors? - Similar Threads - discover defined power

2. Computer shuts off when I turn off monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer shuts off when I turn off monitor: I have Win 11 on a KVM switch. When I disconnect the monitor the Win11 box shuts off. I need it to stay on so when I switch back to Win11 it's still running in the state I left it. I'm constantly switching between the Win11 box and some other computer through a KVM. This...
  3. Computer shuts off when I turn off monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer shuts off when I turn off monitor: I have Win 11 on a KVM switch. When I disconnect the monitor the Win11 box shuts off. I need it to stay on so when I switch back to Win11 it's still running in the state I left it. I'm constantly switching between the Win11 box and some other computer through a KVM. This...
  4. Computer will not suspend or turn off Monitor when Idle

Computer will not suspend or turn off Monitor when Idle: Hi allI have a surface laptop studio and for reasons that I will not bore you with, I just had to re-install the entire machine. The reinstall is complete but the one thing that I have noticed is that despite me setting the power settings the way I like it,, the system will...
  5. Monitor turns on immediately after power plan and can not keep being turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor turns on immediately after power plan and can not keep being turned off: I have pc running on windows 11 but the problem is not related to windows 11, because since the first day I assembled the pc, the problem have been existed. The details are as following: 1. The display is set to turn off after 2 minutes in power plan balanced mode and system...
  6. Monitor turns on immediately after power plan and can not keep being turned off

Monitor turns on immediately after power plan and can not keep being turned off: I have pc running on windows 11 but the problem is not related to windows 11, because since the first day I assembled the pc, the problem have been existed. The details are as following: 1. The display is set to turn off after 2 minutes in power plan balanced mode and system...
  7. Monitor powers on after computer turns it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor powers on after computer turns it off: Trying to find how to keep monitor off after I lock the PC. What I do: 1. Monitor powers off after 1 minute when PC is locked 2. In few seconds computer plays sound like it detects new hardware, monitors wakes up and shows "No Cable Connected". 3. Then monitor turns off....
  8. Windows ignores the time set in power plan options to turn off my monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows ignores the time set in power plan options to turn off my monitors: I set the time to turn off my monitors to 10min in windows power plan options and it doesn’t work. Also tried setting the power button to turn off the monitors but in vain, when I press the power button after setting it to turn off my monitors, the monitors go black for a...
  9. No sound through monitor speakers after monitor turns off by power plan setting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No sound through monitor speakers after monitor turns off by power plan setting: I had a one monitor setup with power plan setting to turn off monitor after 5 mins of inactivity. The monitor is a Iiyama G-Master Silver Crow GB2730QSU-B1 connected to my GPU via Display port. The sound would be going on to the monitor speakers via DP. GPU is a MSI Geforce...
  10. Monitor turns off when computer goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor turns off when computer goes to sleep: Hi everyone, This is a really small problem but I just want to get down to the cause of it. I am running windows 10 with dual monitors and every time the computer goes to sleep one of the monitors turns off and requires me to push the power button on the monitor to turn it...