Windows 10: How to dismiss Windows 10 volume overlay if it doesn’t go away

Discus and support How to dismiss Windows 10 volume overlay if it doesn’t go away in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In Windows 10, a volume slider or media overlay appear in the top-left corner of your screen when you change the volume. The feature is handy,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jul 14, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

How to dismiss Windows 10 volume overlay if it doesn’t go away

In Windows 10, a volume slider or media overlay appear in the top-left corner of your screen when you change the volume. The feature is handy, especially when you have to change the track of your Spotify playlist or pause a YouTube content in new Microsoft Edge.

Windows 10’s media overlay shows up only when you adjust volume and apps such as Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Spotify are opened. The volume overlay would automatically dismiss after a few seconds without your intervention. Unfortunately, sometimes the volume dialog takes a bit too long to disappear on its own and the delay is increased if you accidentally hover over the overlay.

If you are experiencing this and it infuriates you, there’s a simple trick to dismiss the media overlay.

How to dismiss Windows 10 volume overlay

To dismiss Windows 10 volume dialog that appears on the left side of the screen, you have to click on the app name or the artist photo.

How to dismiss Windows 10 volume overlay if it doesn’t go away Chrome-media-overlay.jpg

For instance, if you want to dismiss the volume overlay when no media content is playing in Chrome, simply click anywhere near Chrome.exe.

How to dismiss Windows 10 volume overlay if it doesn’t go away Edge-media-overlay.jpg

For Chromium-based Microsoft Edge and Spotify, you have to click on the artist photo or name when a media content is playing.

Media overlay

It’s worth noting that the media overlay was added to Windows with Windows 8 and the same interface is used in Windows 10. While it is useful, it takes up a pretty big chunk of the screen and UI is also dated.

The feature is still in its early day for Google Chrome and it doesn’t work properly. Unlike Chromium-based Edge, Google Chrome cannot display YouTube thumbnail or associated information on its media overlay.

Fortunately, you can disable the media controls overlay in Chrome from the flags menu:

• Open Chrome://flags.
    • Search ‘Hardware Media Key Handling’.
      How to dismiss Windows 10 volume overlay if it doesn’t go away Hardware-media-key-handling.jpg
    • Click the drop-down menu and switch it to disabled.
    • Restart the browser.

The post How to dismiss Windows 10 volume overlay if it doesn’t go away appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jul 14, 2019
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

How to dismiss Windows 10 volume overlay if it doesn’t go away [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Jul 14, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Radeon Overlay not displaying all options

Ok, I got a question. The options to hide the overlay are confusing. What are the steps to turn on the overlay in-game? Not interested in logging much at the moment. Is Alt-R part of turning it on/off?

Sasqui, Jul 14, 2019
  4. CyrrusV Win User

hd6950 to hd 6970

ok
    i ve tried everything:with atiflash from dos,winflash.step by step with bios powercolor hd 6970 from the database.
    nothing,doesn´t work.any suggestion????

CyrrusV, Jul 14, 2019
Thema:

1. How to dismiss Windows 10 volume overlay if it doesn’t go away - Similar Threads - dismiss volume overlay

2. Volume Slider Appearing and Won't Go Away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Slider Appearing and Won't Go Away: Hello, I am having an issue with Windows 11. The volume slider popup at the bottom of my screen will randomly appear, and I don't know how to get rid of it. This also comes with a few effects including my cursor disappearing when it's still, videos playing for a fraction of a...
  3. Volume Slider Appearing and Won't Go Away

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume Slider Appearing and Won't Go Away: Hello, I am having an issue with Windows 11. The volume slider popup at the bottom of my screen will randomly appear, and I don't know how to get rid of it. This also comes with a few effects including my cursor disappearing when it's still, videos playing for a fraction of a...
  4. How do I make volume bar go away?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make volume bar go away?: This new volume bar with a massive pause and prev/next show up in groove music and I want to disable it it's so ****ing annoying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-volume-bar-go-away/b7c73f98-2c73-445e-8875-f8bc1f1a8963
  5. How do I make volume bar go away?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make volume bar go away?: This new volume bar with a massive pause and prev/next show up in groove music and I want to disable it it's so ****ing annoying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-volume-bar-go-away/b7c73f98-2c73-445e-8875-f8bc1f1a8963
  6. How do I make volume bar go away?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Volume pop up doesn’t go away on it’s own, there are 2 cursors and one always stays there...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Volume pop up doesn’t go away on it’s own, there are 2 cursors and one always stays there...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ForeseeObstacles [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v6dozs/volume_pop_up_doesnt_go_away_on_its_own_there_are/
  8. Volume media overlay is displaying this and it won't go away...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Volume media overlay is displaying this and it won't go away...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MatthewTheManiac [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jjal9f/volume_media_overlay_is_displaying_this_and_it/
  9. the volume bar does not go away

the volume bar does not go away: so this has benn like this sice the beggining i think but i just noticed it now [ATTACH] and i it does not go away https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-volume-bar-does-not-go-away/070c5aa1-152c-4c83-acf1-6905f845c923
  10. Stupid Compression Overlay Arrows Won't Go Away

Stupid Compression Overlay Arrows Won't Go Away: I tried the method of dealing with this problem @ (Topic), but, it doesn't work. I also tried another method on a different site that used the wrong name for the key (and it didn't make my shortcut overlays vanish, either—which would have been actually undesirable, had it...