Windows 10: How to display all cached DNS entries on Windows

Discus and support How to display all cached DNS entries on Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Windows operating system uses a cache for DNS entries. DNS (Domain Name System) is a core technology of the Internet that is being used for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 7, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to display all cached DNS entries on Windows

The Windows operating system uses a cache for DNS entries. DNS (Domain Name System) is a core technology of the Internet that is being used for communication. In particular, it is used to lookup IP addresses of domain names.

How to display all cached DNS entries on Windows dns-cache.png

When users type a domain name in the browser, one of the first tasks that is executed when the site is loaded is to look up its IP address. The process requires access to DNS servers. Often, DNS servers of the Internet Service Provider are used automatically, but administrators may switch to other DNS servers, as these may be faster or offer better privacy.

Switching DNS providers may also help bypass Internet censorship, if DNS is used to block access to certain sites.

Windows uses the DNS resolver cache to speed up lookups. Each DNS lookup is added to the cache to speed up consecutive visits to the domains. Sometimes, entries may become old and may point to the wrong IP address. Our guide on fixing resolving host issues in browsers is still valid up to this day. Flushing the cache may help with that, as it removes all cached items to start from scratch.

Tip: you may use the free software DNSLookupView to log all DNS activity on Windows.

Display all cached DNS entries

How to display all cached DNS entries on Windows ipconfig-dns.png

The list of cached entries can be useful for a number of purposes. Webmasters and developers may check if the correct IP address is assigned to a property, and users may be interested in seeing all entries, e.g., to find out which domains have been accessed during a session.

1. Open the run box with the shortcut Windows-R.
    2. Type cmd.exe and hit the Enter-key.
    3. Type ipconfig /displayDNS to run the command.

Windows returns all cached DNS entries in a long list. You may also redirect the output to a plain text file by running the command ipconfig /displayDNS > %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\dns.txt. This saves the output to the file dns.txt on the desktop.

The very same command can also be run using PowerShell:

1. Open Start, type PowerShell and select the result. If you have Terminal installed, type Terminal instead and select that result.
    2. Run the command powershell "Get-DnsClientCache | Format-Table -AutoSize".

The output uses better formatting. You may redirect the output to a text file as well using the command powershell "Get-DnsClientCache | Format-Table -AutoSize" >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\DNS.txt.

To flush the DNS cache, run the command ipconfig /flushdns. Check out this guide if you are getting the error Could not flush the DNS Resolver.

Now You: which DNS provider do you use? (via Eleven Forum)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to display all cached DNS entries on Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 7, 2022

2. DNS Cache Suspicious Entries

Thank you very much for your quick help, I was able to locate it and modify the 'Hosts' file and flushed the DNS cache and it was no longer present. I will heed your advice and leave that entry as it was.

Cheers!

Gaurav2020, May 7, 2022
  3. LeonLaude Win User
    DNS SERVER NOT RESONDING

Hi Rita French,

This issue often occurs when the DNS settings are incorrect. I suggest you to perform the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1:

I would recommend you to change the Preferred DNS server and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run window, type
      ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
    • Right-click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click
      Properties.
    • In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the Preferred DNS server to
    • Click OK twice to complete the modification.

Note: If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

Method 2:

If that does not help, try to flush the DNS. Follow these steps below.

• From Start screen, type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
    • Type: ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Note: The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well
    as, any other dynamically added entries.

Hope any of these methods help!

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, May 7, 2022
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows

Good one, Shawn.

404 errors are a good reason to take a look-see at the DNS. In addition, rogue sites and malware could inject a re-direct of say BANANAS.COM to ROTTENEGGS.COM. If a query to a site is obviously going somewhere else, one of the reasons may be this, along with things like infected hosts file and a hijacked site. If things look strange, the sister tutorial for flushing the DNS should be used. A little explanation about the TTL. The DNS is never automatically erased/flushed. Each entry remains for the duration of it's Time to Live (TTL).

Default max is 1 day (86400 secs), unless specified in the DNS record. Bad responses are kept for a default of 5 minutes. That can explained what some experience...."It wasn't working yesterday, but today it's fine!".

http://windowsitpro.com/networking/h...tive-responses

windows 7 - How often does the DNS cache clear? - Super User

f14tomcat, May 7, 2022
Thema:

1. How to display all cached DNS entries on Windows - Similar Threads - display cached DNS

2. DNS Entry Information

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Entry Information: Where can I find DNS information similar to the information I can get from ipconfig /displaydns? Are they stored in a file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-entry-information/9324db66-26da-484e-acf0-ec07491301cd
  3. Flush DNS Cache

Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  4. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Support
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  5. Suspicious entries in dns cache

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspicious entries in dns cache: I've spotted some suspicious entries in the dns cache. The domains seem to be of chinese origin and they have been reported by some as malware. I've run anti-malware programs, flushed the dns cache, changed the preferred dns, restarted my computer and so on, but they are...
  6. Suspicious entries in dns cache

Suspicious entries in dns cache: I've spotted some suspicious entries in the dns cache. The domains seem to be of chinese origin and they have been reported by some as malware. I've run anti-malware programs, flushed the dns cache, changed the preferred dns, restarted my computer and so on, but they are...
  7. DNS Cache Suspicious Entries

DNS Cache Suspicious Entries: Hello, I have a DNS entry which never goes away even after flushing it multiple times and restarting the machine. I would like to know if there is a way to identify which program/application is constantly trying to access the network so that I can remove this suspicious...
  8. DNS Cache

DNS Cache: I have a site that was pointed to shopify, and then closed the store. Now when I try to load the new site, it always directs to the closed shopify site. If I do a dns reset using ipconfig /flushdns it will work for a while, but then always reverts back. So I have to reset...
  9. DNS Cache Users

DNS Cache Users: Do Google Chrome, MS Edge, & IE all use the same DNS Cache? And is there any wisdom to periodically flushing the cache just as a normal maintenance routine? 80766
  10. Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows: How to: Display DNS Resolver Cache in Windows How to Display Your DNS Resolver Cache in Windows A DNS (Domain Name System) resolver cache is a temporary database, maintained by Windows, that contains records of all your recent visits and attempted visits to websites and...