Windows 10: How to do a clean install after upgrade from 7 to 10 problems

Discus and support How to do a clean install after upgrade from 7 to 10 problems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded from Win 7 pro about a month ago hoping that would cure some problems I had with Win 7. It did not and Win 10 is working poorly too. I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CharlieH, Jan 30, 2016.

1. CharlieH Win User

How to do a clean install after upgrade from 7 to 10 problems

I upgraded from Win 7 pro about a month ago hoping that would cure some problems I had with Win 7. It did not and Win 10 is working poorly too. I would like to do a clean install of Win 10 but not sure if I can get the correct Win 10 install file just from my Win 7 pro product key. Is there a download source for that since I have already upgraded to Win 10?

:)

CharlieH, Jan 30, 2016
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Jan 30, 2016
  3. NickSteel Win User
    Query on Clean installation of Windows 10 Pro on Windows 7 Pro PC.

Original Title: Windows 7 Pro (from MS upgrade key) to Windows 10 Pro - Clean Install

My Gateway NV7923U X64 came with Windows 7 Home installed.

I purchased an upgrade key from MS and upgraded to Windows 7 Pro.

I need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and then do a clean install.

• Will my existing upgraded Windows 7 Pro now upgrade to Windows 10 Pro automatically, or do I need to perform additional steps?
    • Will I be able to do a clean install and have Windows 10 Pro after upgrading?

NickSteel, Jan 30, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Welcome to TenForums, CharlieH.

Your question is much like another poster's over here: https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...tml#post552111

My post was -
    You can, of course, ask your own follow up questions in this thread of your own.*Smile

Word Man, Jan 30, 2016
  5. SonicBlue Win User
    There are various ways to go. First would be download either ShowKeyPlus or Keyfinder and record your Win 10 existing key. Then Download the Win 10 ISO with the Media Creation Tool. In the end if you Wipe your drive first and install 10 you may need to download your display drivers if 10 can not find the proper drivers during install from your pc manufacturers site.
    The Good thing about the iso is if you need to reinstall Windows again later, It will reinstall without wiping your exiting programs like the recovery does. *Smile

SonicBlue, Jan 30, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    His Windows 10 product key will be:
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

It's the same product key everyone gets when upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. It would be a good idea to run showkeyplus from this forum and record the Windows 7 product it shows that the upgrade came from - if the OP doesn't have it recorded already.

Also, the third party hardware specific drivers can be exported from Windows 10 for future use by making a folder on a removable storage device such as a USB memory stick or SD card, for example call it DriversW10. Then from an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:

dism /online /export-driver /destination:e:\DriversW10

The part in red would be the patch to the folder created on the removable storage device.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2016
  7. CharlieH Win User
    Thanks very much for your help. I will give that a try.

CharlieH, Jan 31, 2016
  8. Word Man Win User

OK, Charlie. Do you have provision to make a full disk image to an external drive before proceeding? I should have noted that as highly recommended in my first post.

Word Man, Jan 31, 2016
  9. Tankachoo Win User
    Some of these tutorials need to be updated and not re-posted each time this question is asked.
    I don't understand why everyone always suggests a huge long process when all you need to do is:
    1. Go to: Windows 10
    2. Click the "Upgrade Now" button.
    DONE!

Tankachoo, Jan 31, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Because by following some of the other tutorials all I have to do is boot from my USB flash drive, click Install Now and I am done, without having to wait for a 3 gb download and I can do it in a hotel room with next to no internet service, or do it while deployed on a ship with no internet connection to my personal PC.

NavyLCDR, Jan 31, 2016
  11. Tankachoo Win User
    When this question is asked I am sure they aren't at the point you start from so your comment isn't relevant to new people with this issue. Any other method then what I suggested would just take longer.

Tankachoo, Jan 31, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    And the OP wants to do a clean install of Windows 10, not an upgrade. Can you explain to us how a clean install is done from the "upgrade now" button?

NavyLCDR, Jan 31, 2016
  13. Word Man Win User

You can always contact Brink with suggestions if you think a particular tutorial is out of date - be part of the solution.

Some posters are willing to learn to fish, some demand to be fed the fish already gutted, skinned and filetted, some have no hands to fish with and have to be spoon fed - which are you?

OP asked a question and got answers starting very broadly and then progressively more specific. Until we know what OP doesn't know, how does one know the most appropriate answer? One person's "huge long process" could be another personn's rich learning experience. Get to know your audience.

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to do a clean install after upgrade from 7 to 10 problems - Similar Threads - clean install upgrade

2. How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?: I had downloaded Windows 10 but I still prefer Windows 7 and I have the Original USB installation stick to reload Windows 7. I'm not sure if I have to use a Command prompt and Format C: or if I can just use the BIOS and boot from USB. I just want it to work properly with no...
  3. How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I do a 'clean install' for Windows 7?: I had downloaded Windows 10 but I still prefer Windows 7 and I have the Original USB installation stick to reload Windows 7. I'm not sure if I have to use a Command prompt and Format C: or if I can just use the BIOS and boot from USB. I just want it to work properly with no...
  4. How to clean install Windows 10 with license from Windows 7 Enterprise upgrade?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to clean install Windows 10 with license from Windows 7 Enterprise upgrade?: I have a PC that was previously running Windows 7 Enterprise, and a few years ago it was upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise using the free upgrade program. Is there a way to do a clean install on this machine without having the Windows 10 Enterprise KMS or MAK key? I no longer...
  5. Clean install Windows 10 after upgraded from win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install Windows 10 after upgraded from win 7 to 10: My Dad said he wanted a fresh install of windows 10, he previously has upgraded from win 7 to 10. I have already prepared an installation media with the media creation tool but it was done on my old pc and I selected to upgrade for another pc / ISO creation rather than...
  6. Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7: Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit when Windows 10 launched, then a few months later, around New Year I decided to do a clean install. I made an installation disc with the program from Microsoft's website and did the procedure, skipping...
  7. How to do clean install without upgrading 7 / 8.1 first

How to do clean install without upgrading 7 / 8.1 first: I haven't tried it myself (as I upgraded THEN did a clean install before this article appeared) but assuming it works this can be a big time saver. How to clean install Windows 10 directly without upgrade - gHacks Tech News 20476
  8. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7: I had Win 7 home on my laptop (64bit), then received and installed the free upgrade to Win 10 in Autumn 2015. The laptop is now running quite erratically and very slow and I feel it is time to do a clean re-install. I do not wish to go back to Win 7, just have a clean...
  9. How to Do Clean Install After Problematical Win7 - Win 10 Upgrade?

How to Do Clean Install After Problematical Win7 - Win 10 Upgrade?: I think it best to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my computer because of previous problems with a Win XP to 7 upgrade and the problems with this Win 7 to Win10 upgrade. Blinking screen, no sound, "Critical Error" and Start Menu not working, on this Win7 > Win10 upgrade....
  10. Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro

Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro: Maybe someone can push me in the right direction to a fix ? Or should I buy a new computer? Today I decided to accept Microsoft's invitation to download and upgrade my windows 7 pro, unfortunately, it didn't go so smoothly as I had hoped it would! It downloaded ok and...