Windows 10: How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home without loosing data

Discus and support How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home without loosing data in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 is available in many editions in the market, and the demand varies according to the customer. The most common versions of Windows are the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sumit - Insider MVP, Oct 18, 2020.

1. How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home without loosing data

Windows 10 is available in many editions in the market, and the demand varies according to the customer. The most common versions of Windows are the following:

• Windows 10 Pro
    • Windows 10 Home
    • Windows 10 Home Single Language
    • Windows 10 Education

The following table highlights the official upgrade and downgrade paths between various editions of Windows 10.

How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home without loosing data 1cae04af-a129-4096-9f1e-49ae29fc6a8a?upload=true.png

As you can see Windows 10 Pro to Home, Enterprise to Education is labeled as "D"."D" is considered as a downgrade, which technically is not possible unless the user does a reinstall of Windows, which removes apps and settings. This article discusses how to downgrade in such scenarios while keeping everything.

Prerequisites:

• A Windows 10 ISO file of the same or higher release from the Media Creation tool
    • Some command-line experience.

How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Home without losing data

To downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Home, what you need to do is, change the registry entries so that Windows Setup assumes the existing edition of Windows is Windows 10 Home. When the Setup

Step 1: Change the Registry values

To change the Registry entry, follow the steps here:

• Right-click Start and choose Windows Powershelladmin
    • Paste the following command and press enter.

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" -Name EditionID -Type String -Value Core;Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" -Name ProductName -Value "Windows 10 Home";Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" -Name CompositionEditionID -Value "Core"

What this command does is, changes the Current version values in the registry from Pro to Home.

Step 2: Download the Windows 10 ISO file.

Download the ISO file from the Windows 10 Media Creation tool.

• Choose Create Installation Media for this PC.
    • Choose Windows 10 standard ISO file, and language accordingly.
    • Choose ISO File. Save the ISO.

Downloading the ISO file is covered in the detail here:

Step 3: Perform an InPlace Upgrade

• Open the ISO file and run Setup.exe.
    • Change the settings so that updates aren’t downloaded.
    • After Preparation, select Keep personal files and apps, if prompted.

How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home without loosing data ce59f7d3-9e17-4cbc-b023-8ffa4f248b1f?upload=true.jpg
    • You should see that there is a checkmark besides Windows 10 Home and Keep apps, files, and Settings.

How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home without loosing data cc32ee6c-f4b8-46a5-b082-31717b3dea0f?upload=true.jpg

Let the procedure finish which can take up to 90 minutes on a standard PC.

After installation, you should see Windows 10 Home together with updated to the latest version. If you had an existing license of Windows 10 Home, you would find Windows activated automatically, courtesy of a digital license.

Credits to FroggyPwns post from here.

:)

Sumit - Insider MVP, Oct 18, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows 10 Release Date Announced

Windows 10 Home will be $119, Pro $199.

Microsoft: Windows 10 Home costs $119, Pro costs $199

Which is good news actually, because Windows 8.1 is loads cheaper than previous versions (retail licensing at Windows 7 OEM prices). And it sort of puts a huge hole in the Windows subscription theory.

Frick, Oct 18, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home without loosing data

Is it time for Windows 10 already?

Again, for those that want the update reservation and you meet the requirements ---> Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

And, some info from the FAQ page:

Also, some interesting info from the Specifications page:

95Viper, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home without loosing data

1. How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home without loosing data - Similar Threads - downgrade Pro Home

2. Windows 10 Pro downgrade to Home without Home product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro downgrade to Home without Home product key?: I have a laptop which I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home. However, since the upgrade, I have not been able to connect to wireless hard disks, including a Seagate hard disk which a lot of important files are stored. How do I downgrade from Pro back to Home,...
  3. Windows 10 Pro downgrade to Windows 10 home

Windows 10 Pro downgrade to Windows 10 home: My windows 10 version automatically has upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. But my digital license was in Windows 10 Home. When I tried to downgrade the method that everybody is suggesting, which is changing the Registry and install using ISO image, I can't keep my personal files...
  4. Windows 10 pro to home downgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 pro to home downgrade: When i initially bought my laptop, it had windows 10 home installed and activated by a digital key(i had paid for it). But a few days earlier, my laptop got stuck in a kind of bootloop. To get it repaired i gave my laptop to the retailer who deleted the windows 10 home, and...
  5. Downgrade windows 10 pro to home

Downgrade windows 10 pro to home: I recently upgraded from windows 10 home to pro but now i want to revert it and before upgrade i made a system image so can it revert my changes and my old licence of home edition ?...
  6. How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home.

How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home.: Windows 10 Home comes with my Machine PC a year ago. I recently upgraded my Sata to SSD, and shop assistance installed Windows 10 Pro instead. How can i downgrade it as previosly my W10 Home is Licensed....
  7. Windows 10 Pro downgrade to Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Pro downgrade to Windows 10 Home: My PC was built by a friend however, recently, the windows activation has failed with error code: 0xC004F074 He installed Windows 10 Pro on it and I want to downgrade to windows 10 home. I have purchased a product key online from a licensed seller but when I try to activate...
  8. Windows 10 pro downgraded to home

Windows 10 pro downgraded to home: One of our laptops have a watermark for activating Windows. The troubleshooter told me I have to fill in a home license. Thats strange because it is a 10 pro laptop. He downgraded itself? On Google I found out it was a bug of Microsoft and it should be fixed. But not...
  9. How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro To Home Edition: So my Laptop came with the home edition and I decided to upgrade to pro and tried to activate windows, but it said my key was invalid, so now I want to go back to home edition. I tried clean installing by using the media cleaner tool but it keeps reverting back to pro. Please...
  10. How To Downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Home without losing Files

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Home without losing Files: Actually I had original windows 10 home [x64] which I receive from win 8.1 home ; today I tried to upgrade 10 home to pro via some online keys , it works and installs but at time to activate it fails and I forced to activate it via kmspico .... I tried but I didnt find any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home without losing data usb