Windows 10: How to download a KB article

Discus and support How to download a KB article in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We have a use case where we want to install older KB articles on windows 2019 servers. In order to do this, we want to download a specific KB article... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by shashaa35, May 28, 2020.

1. shashaa35 Win User

How to download a KB article

We have a use case where we want to install older KB articles on windows 2019 servers. In order to do this, we want to download a specific KB article via automation. So, my question is : If we know the KB article , can we download it via automation without knowing the link?

Currently , I don't find any API for this purpose, KB articles do available on https://www.catalog.update.microsof...for+Windows+Server+2019+for+x64-based+Systems but I am looking for some automation.

:)

shashaa35, May 28, 2020
  2. Nate W.H. Win User

Windows Phone OS7.10.8112.7 (Step 6)

Hi XemnessLive,

You can find many solutions for update issues listed on the following page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484484

The suggestions listed for the errors of the phone being stuck in download mode and stuck at OEM splash screen may be helpful along with the general steps listed at the beginning of the article.

Please let me know if these suggestions are able to help you update.

Regards,

Nate W.H., May 28, 2020
  3. Failing to update these KB 3135782, KB 890830 and KB 3135173

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

From your issue description, I understand that you are facing issue in updating windows updates. Not to worry, I am here to help you with this issue.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Windows Update troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Click on search bar next to Start Menu.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Windows Update

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter. Restart the PC and check.

If the above steps doesn't work, try the below automatic Windows troubleshooter
    and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-10

If the above steps doesn't work try the below.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to manually reset the Windows update components and check if it helps.

Reset Windows update components.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates. Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components manually:

• Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
    • Stop the BITS, Cryptographic,
      MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
      • net stop wuauserv
      • net stop cryptSvc
      • net stop bits
      • net stop msiserver
    • Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and
      Catroot2
      folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
      • ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
      • ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    • Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic,
      MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the
      ENTER key after you type each command.
      • net start wuauserv
      • net start cryptSvc
      • net start bits
      • net start msiserver
    5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

Now you may try running the Windows Updates and check if the above steps resolve the issue.

For reference: Windows Update - Additional resources - Windows Deployment

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
    incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry,
    click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, May 28, 2020
  4. How to download a KB article

Downloading the most recent KB

I am doing this because I am still trying to find why my last Windows Updates are failing, and because I am not ready for an In-Place Upgrade.

I am referring to the instructions given on this MS page:

support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

It says:

• Go to the Update history page.
    • Find the most recent update KB for the version of Windows 10 you have – it’s usually at the top of the list – and either write the KB number down or copy it
    • Go to the Microsoft Update site and search for the KB number.
    Under View Update history in Settings, I see only the latest attempts to install the 2018 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 V1803 for (KB4462919) and the failed Security Update (KB4462919).

That means I see two KB numbers. In the instructions under 3, which KB number are they talking about? Are they even talking about any one of the two listed KB numbers in Update History (failed updates), or are they talking about the KB number(s) of the last successful update. If the latter, I don't have them, because I cleared the Update History in Settings.

battlezone, May 28, 2020
Thema:

How to download a KB article

1. How to download a KB article - Similar Threads - download article

2. Windows 10 KB5035941 out with features (direct download)

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5035941 out with features (direct download): Windows 10 KB5035941 is now available as an optional update for everyone. It comes with several new features, including MSN on the lock screen. This patch is available via Windows Update, but Microsoft has published direct download links for the Windows 10 KB5035941 offline...
  3. Windows 11's Moment Update 5 is finally here: how to download

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11's Moment Update 5 is finally here: how to download: Microsoft released the fifth Moment Update for Windows 11 in February 2024. This release did not reach many user systems, as Microsoft limited its availability artificially. While Microsoft did state that the update was available to "seekers", users who check for updates...
  4. How do i stop windows 11 from changing a zip file to a text file when downloading the zip

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i stop windows 11 from changing a zip file to a text file when downloading the zip: When downloading zip files, Windows 11 is not saving them as a "compressed zipped folder" but instead saving them as a txt file. How do I resolve this?...
  5. How do i stop windows 11 from changing a zip file to a text file when downloading the zip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i stop windows 11 from changing a zip file to a text file when downloading the zip: When downloading zip files, Windows 11 is not saving them as a "compressed zipped folder" but instead saving them as a txt file. How do I resolve this?...
  6. There is no download option for the hotfix in the article stated below.Where can i download it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is no download option for the hotfix in the article stated below.Where can i download it?: FIX: A legacy HP printer driver may crash when you run a 32-bit application on a computer that is running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or of Windows Server 2008 R2 - Microsoft Support...
  7. There is no download option for the hotfix in the article stated below.Where can i download it?

There is no download option for the hotfix in the article stated below.Where can i download it?: FIX: A legacy HP printer driver may crash when you run a 32-bit application on a computer that is running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or of Windows Server 2008 R2 - Microsoft Support...
  8. article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge: I am using Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and the Microsoft Edge browserFor a long time I used the Firefox browser. I have since switched to Microsoft edge. When I go to use Microsoft print to PDF for an article from the web, it downloads as a Firefox document. How do I stop...
  9. article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge

article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge: I am using Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and the Microsoft Edge browserFor a long time I used the Firefox browser. I have since switched to Microsoft edge. When I go to use Microsoft print to PDF for an article from the web, it downloads as a Firefox document. How do I stop...
  10. article downloading as Firefox not Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing