Windows 10: How to download and install an earlier version of Windows 10

Discus and support How to download and install an earlier version of Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft maintains support for several versions of its Windows 10 operating system for Home users and even more versions for Enterprise customers.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 15, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to download and install an earlier version of Windows 10

Microsoft maintains support for several versions of its Windows 10 operating system for Home users and even more versions for Enterprise customers.

While it is often a good idea to upgrade or install the latest version that Microsoft released, e.g. Windows 10 version 1903 at the time of writing, there may be times where you may want to install an earlier version.

One situation where this may be desirable is if major issues in the latest version make you want to sit it out or upgrade to it at a later point in time.

The downside to installing an earlier version of Windows 10 is that it is not supported for as long as the current version of the operating system. Home editions of Windows 10 are supported for 18 months in total whereas Enterprise September releases for 30 months.

The guide provides guidance on downloading and installing earlier versions of Windows 10 or using the download to upgrade to an older version of Windows 10.

Part 1: the download

How to download and install an earlier version of Windows 10 download-old-version-windows-10.png

Many users use Windows Update or the Microsoft Update Assistant tool to upgrade; the options are not available in this situation as the latest version of Windows is offered when these services are used.

One of the easiest options available is to use the free tool Rufus to download the ISO image. Download the portable version of Rufus and run it after the download finishes. Note that you need to allow the program to check for updates as you won't get the download option otherwise.

How to download and install an earlier version of Windows 10 rufus-download-windows.png

You should see an arrow next to Select in the interface. Click on the arrow and select Download to enable the download options.

Click on the boot selection menu afterwards and select Disc or Iso image (please select) from the items that are presented to you. A click on the download button downloads a small script and displays the download ISO image dialog to you.

Select Windows 10 as the version, click continue, and under Release the version of Windows that you want to download. You will notice that all previous versions of Windows are offered in the menu even those that are no longer supported. Select continue after you have made the selection and select the Edition in the next step and the desired language as well as the architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) in the two final steps.

How to download and install an earlier version of Windows 10 download-windows-10-iso-image.png

You may select to download using a browser to run the download in the system's default browser. The Windows 10 ISO image should get downloaded to the local system once you have made the final selection.

Installing the upgrade

You may use Rufus to copy the Windows 10 ISO image to an USB device for installation or burn the ISO to DVD.

It is just a matter of booting the DVD or USB device to start the installation or upgrade process.

You can check out our guide on upgrading Windows 10 for detailed instructions.

Closing Words

Home users may use the method described above to upgrade to earlier supported versions of Windows 10 or install an earlier version of the operating system from scratch. Currently, that would mean upgrade from Windows 10 version 1803 to 1809, and in the future to 1903 when 1909 gets installed or to 1909 when 20H1 gets installed.

Now You: Which version of Windows 10 do you run and what is your experience with that version?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks/). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to download and install an earlier version of Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 15, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 15, 2019
  3. m4gicfour Win User
    Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Sep 15, 2019
  4. How to download and install an earlier version of Windows 10

Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

How to download and install an earlier version of Windows 10

1. How to download and install an earlier version of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - download install earlier

2. Updating from Windows 10, version 1909 or an earlier version to 21H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating from Windows 10, version 1909 or an earlier version to 21H2: Hello Team,There are still few machines running on Windows 10, version 1909 or an earlier version and I need to upgrade them to 21H2 ASAP without impacting their data/software. I am unable to find any relevant plan mentioned. It will be a great help if someone can suggest me...
  3. Revert to earlier version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Revert to earlier version: I did a clean install of 20h2 with a Win 10 flash dirve that I purchased. After numerous issues black screen, blue screen, freezes I figured out that the new Win 10 20H2 does not like my EVGA nVidia GTX 1060 6Gb graphics card. It actually hates it. If I install the card, the...
  4. How i can install An earlier version Xbox game bar windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How i can install An earlier version Xbox game bar windows 10?: I updated Xbox game bar windows 10 but I don't like this update and is not works good how I can download xbox game bar Previous version, like version 1 month ago, please I really need help...
  5. How to download and install windows 10 version 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to download and install windows 10 version 2004: Hello friends, this might be a very amateur question but I want to avoid losing all files and more time so here goes: I need windows version 2004 for a certain program to work. I just upgraded to 20H2 and realized that is the wrong one. On the microsoft website I didn't get...
  6. Install an Earlier Version as Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Install an Earlier Version as Update: Is there a way to roll back W10 as an update after Go back to an earlier build is not available anymore? Without having to reinstall and setup everything again. Thank you. submitted by /u/antonioat8 [link] [comments]...
  7. this app can't run.... but software installs on earlier WIndows 10 version.

in Windows 10 Customization
    this app can't run.... but software installs on earlier WIndows 10 version.: This is a problem that started with updates or maybe just new builds of Windows 10. I have a number of programs that are SUCESSFULLY installed on an earlier build of Windows 10 on another machine. Specifically a Windows Surface. But before a version of the latest Windows...
  8. Reverting to an earlier version?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverting to an earlier version?: Hello, I just (last night) "upgraded" win 7 64bit to win 10. Seeing that the 1903 version is already out, it is what it loaded. Problem is, it is already causing conflicts with some programs. I need to be on the 1803/09 version. If i try to revert to previous versions,...
  9. Earlier versions of Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Earlier versions of Windows: I have a laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise, Build 17134. I have a software program that is only tested to Build 1709. Can I have both (or either) running on the new laptop, as it will only be used for running the software....
  10. Can Cortana be installed on a version of Win earlier than 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Cortana be installed on a version of Win earlier than 10?: I know there's an app for phones, but is there one for desktops that can be installed on Win 7? 96486

Users found this page by searching for:

1. download earlier version of windows 10