Windows 10: How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update

Discus and support How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 October 2020 Update is now rolling out in phases. The rollout is expected to take several weeks, but if you’re feeling impatient, there are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 20, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update

Windows 10 October 2020 Update is now rolling out in phases. The rollout is expected to take several weeks, but if you’re feeling impatient, there are three ways to download and install the October 2020 Update right now.

Windows 10’s latest feature update is primarily designed to optimize your system for a better experience. It doesn’t come with a bunch of new features or major improvements, and industry sources believe this is deliberately low-key.

Windows 10 version 20H2 is currently rolling out to ‘seekers’ only. In particular, you’ll only receive the update if you manually click the “Check for Updates” and then select “Download and install now” option.

In this guide, we will show you steps to download and install the October 2020 Update (version 20H2) on your device.

How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update using Windows Update

If you haven’t received the upgrade notification yet, you can use the Settings app to download and install the October 2020 Update right now.

As we just noted, this update is available to those who proactively go download and install the bits on their own. It means that you simply have to open the Windows Update page, check for updates, and then click on the final installation button.

To upgrade to Windows 10 version 20H2 using the Settings app, follow these steps:

1. Open Start Menu.
    2. Click on the cog icon to launch Settings.
    3. Tap on the ‘Update & Security’ option.
    4. Select ‘Windows Update’.
    5. Click ‘Check for updates’ and let it look for updates.
      How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update Checking-for-updates.jpg
    6. Select ‘Download and install’ to begin the download.
    7. Once finished, you will receive a notification to restart the PC.
    8. Click on ‘Restart now’ button to complete the installation.

Remember that your computer is not ready for the update yet if you don’t see the message titled “Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2”. It could also mean that the update is not yet available in your region.

How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update using the Update Assistant

If you don’t see the option to install the update in the Settings app, don’t worry as Microsoft is offering an alternative path for those who are ready to install Windows 10 October 2020 Update.

To install Windows 10 version 20H2 using Update Assistant tool, follow these steps:

1. Visit Microsoft’s download page.
    2. Click on ‘Update now’ under ‘Windows 10 October 2020 Update now available’.
    3. Open ‘Windows10Upgrade’ executable file.
    4. In Update Assistant tool, click on ‘Update now’.
    5. Agree to terms & conditions when asked.
    6. Click ‘Next’.
    7. Allow Update Assistant to download the bits.
    8. Click on ‘Restart now’ button.

For those unaware, Update Assistant tool was originally published in 2015 and it’s a very small installer that weighs less than 1mb. When you open the Update Assistant tool, Microsoft says it runs a compatibility check and then begins the upgrade when your PC passes compatibility tests.

How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update Windows-Update-Assistant.jpg

You cannot begin the installation process if a compatibility issue is detected by Microsoft Update Assistant tool.

The Update Assistant is straightforward and it doesn’t require special technical expertise.

How to download the Windows 10 October 2020 Update Update using Media Creation Tool

You can download and upgrade to Windows 10 version 20H2 manually using Media Creation. This tool allows you to install the update directly to your PC or create installation media without losing files or apps.

To install Windows 10 version 20H2 using the Media Creation Tool, follow these steps:

1. In your choice of browser, open Microsoft’s website again.
    2. Click on ‘Download tool now’ option.
    3. Double-click the MediaCreationTool20H2.exe.
    4. Allow administrator privilege when asked.
    5. Read and agree to the terms & conditions.
    6. Select the first option ‘Upgrade this PC now’.
      How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update Media-Creation-Tool.jpg
    7. Click ‘Next’.
    8. By default, the first option ‘Keep personal files and apps’ will be selected.
    9. Click on ‘Next’ to continue.

Once done, Media Creation Tool assumes that you want to upgrade the existing machine without deleting your personal information.

Using the Media Creation Tool, you can also create bootable installation media directly and use it to upgrade multiple PCs without downloading the same bits again.

Remember that Media Creation Tool can sometimes fail when it’s unable to run the process due to a third-party program. When this happens, restart your system and run Media Creation Tool setup directly from the downloaded file.

As an alternative, we also recommend that you download an ISO file instead if these methods fail. The ISO file, also known as media image, can be opened directly in File Explorer as a CD-ROM.

You can unmount ISO file using File Explorer and run Setup.exe from within your current Windows installation to do an in-place upgrade. You can also use the media image to do the update later.

What you need to know about the October 2020 Update

On October 20, Microsoft said that users can download the update via the following channels:

• Windows Update (Settings > Update & Security).
    • Update Assistant (works if your PC is compatible).
    • Media Creation Tool (works if your PC is compatible).
    • Media images (works for everyone).

Unlike this year’s first feature update, the October 2020 Update is a minor affair and Microsoft says users should install the September 2020 Patch Tuesday updates or newer for smooth upgrade experience via enablement package.

Microsoft is also encouraging users to wait for the October 2020 Update to become available via Windows Update. In other words, advanced methods, such as Media Creation Tool, Update Assistant or media images, are not recommended unless you really want the upgrade.

The post How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 20, 2020
  2. m4gicfour Win User

Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Oct 20, 2020
  3. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Oct 20, 2020
  4. How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update

Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update

1. How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update - Similar Threads - download install October

2. Windows 10 October 2020 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 October 2020 update: Hey there ! Is windows 10 october update officially available? Where can I download the iso file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-october-2020-update/e3fa5a2a-1191-459d-9184-1cf8d421f835
  3. Windows Update October 2020

Windows Update October 2020: After I downloaded the update , I restarted my laptop and when I went to settings again it shows that attention needed and after going to update and security it just shows please wait and shows nothing The screen shot of the following is provided below :-[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  4. Windows 10 October 2020 Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 October 2020 Update: I have heard that Microsoft has released an October a.k.a 20H2 Update. I have checked for updates many times in Settings. But, it is showing that Windows is up to date. Please help... My latest build no. is 19041.572. So, is the update already installed ?...
  5. Download Windows 10 October 2020 Update ISO images

in Windows 10 News
    Download Windows 10 October 2020 Update ISO images: Windows 10 October 2020 Update ISO images are now available in 32-bit and 64-bit formats. This allows you to upgrade your existing PC instantly. On October 20, Microsoft began rolling out the update to select users only, but Microsoft is allowing users to download ISOs of...
  6. October 2020 update stuck on downloading

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    October 2020 update stuck on downloading: Since when the preview for the October 2020 update has arrived I am facing this issue. I couldn't install preview update so I ignored it. It was continuously failing to apply after downloading and installing 100%. Now that the cumulative update for October 2020 has arrived...
  7. Windows October 2020 Update

Windows October 2020 Update: Running this updated deleted files on my D drive. How can I get them back!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-october-2020-update/08ad7556-4456-4735-9c13-ae31942e24fd
  8. Windows 10 October 2020 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 October 2020 update: Hi Theres rumors saying that Microsoft could release the October 2020 update in the next few days. Is this true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-october-2020-update/021a779d-9d81-4cde-8170-d4ed6b1d9337
  9. Windows 10 October 2020 Update will install in matter of minutes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 October 2020 Update will install in matter of minutes: Windows 10’s next feature update (20H2) is now being finalized and Microsoft has christened it as the October 2020 Update. With this feature upgrade, Microsoft is hoping to improve the overall experience of Windows on consumers and businesses’ PC as part of their new...
  10. How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2018 Update

in Windows 10 News
    How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2018 Update: Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) has been re-released on November 13, and we have everything you need to know about how you can download Windows 10 October 2018 Update and install it right now. The October 2018 Update is a pretty big release with a bunch of new...