Windows 10: How to download and install Windows updates manually

Discus and support How to download and install Windows updates manually in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Most home devices that run a version of Microsoft's Windows operating system are updated using Windows Update. Windows Update is a comfortable solution... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 30, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to download and install Windows updates manually

Most home devices that run a version of Microsoft's Windows operating system are updated using Windows Update. Windows Update is a comfortable solution to install patches for the operating system with minimal effort; downside to using Windows Update is that administrators are no longer in full control when it comes to the installation of updates; selecting when to install updates and which is limited.

Some administrators prefer to use third-party solutions like Windows Update Minitool or Sledgehammer to install updates, others to download and install updates manually for full control.

The manual option gives administrators full control over the updating; downside to selecting the manual route is that it is necessary to monitor update releases -- e.g. by reading Ghacks -- to stay in the loop.

It is definitely more work to download and install Windows updates manually but the gain makes it worth it for some administrators.

Manually installing updates Pros and Cons

Pros:

• full control over updates
    • option to delay the installation of updates
    • option to install security-only updates on pre-Windows 10 systems.

Cons:

• Update information need to be obtained.
    • Research and updating requires more time.
    How to install Windows updates manually

How to download and install Windows updates manually download-windows-updates-manually.png

Microsoft publishes most updates that it releases on the Microsoft Update Catalog website. Think of the site as a searchable directory of updates released by Microsoft; you find all cumulative updates for Windows there as well as many other patches for Windows and other Microsoft products.

Search should start with a KB (Knowledgebase ID). You get those from support articles that Microsoft releases, blog posts on sites like Ghacks, or by using third-party tools to check for updates.

Just paste the KB ID in the search field and hit the Enter-key to run a search; you get multiple results returned often as updates are usually offered for multiple architectures.

One example: the KB4505903 search returns four items for ARM64, x64, x64 for Windows Server, and x86 architectures.

Tip: if you need to look up information about the PC to determine which update applies to it, run system information from the Start menu.

Hit the download button next to the update that you want to download to your system. One of the advantages of using the Microsoft Update Catalog is that you can download updates for other devices as well as you are not limited to download "matching" updates only. Windows Update blocks any updates that are not designed for the computer's hardware.

The Microsoft Update Catalog website opens a popup that lists all the files for that particular update. You may get multiple files there or just a single file.

How to download and install Windows updates manually microsoft-update-catalog-download.png

Use the browser to download all of them, e.g. by right-clicking on files and selecting the save as option. Updates are provided as MSU files usually.

All that is left to do then is to double-click on the downloaded MSU file to install the update. Most updates require a reboot.

One issue that you may run into while installing updates manually is that updates may have dependencies that you need to install prior to installing the update.

You can look up information by clicking on one of the items listed on the Microsoft Update Catalog website; this opens another popup with detailed patch information.

There you find listed the support url and package details. Package details display updates that get replaced by the new update, and updates the downloaded update has been replaced by.

Closing Words

Manually downloading updates and installing them gives administrators control over the updating process at the expense of spending time on research.

Now You: Do you update manually or automatically?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to download and install Windows updates manually appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 30, 2019
  2. m4gicfour Win User

Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Jul 30, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 30, 2019
  4. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

1. How to download and install Windows updates manually - Similar Threads - download install updates

2. Manually Downloading Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manually Downloading Windows Updates: I have an old desktop, custom-built for me in 2011, running Windows 7 64 Bit Professional, and I've run into an issue with DPC latency, which leads to stuttering audio. Specifically this started happening when I purchased a Scarlet 18I20 Third Generation USB audio interface....
  3. Manually Downloading Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Manually Downloading Windows Updates: I have an old desktop, custom-built for me in 2011, running Windows 7 64 Bit Professional, and I've run into an issue with DPC latency, which leads to stuttering audio. Specifically this started happening when I purchased a Scarlet 18I20 Third Generation USB audio interface....
  4. How to manual install updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to manual install updates?: My pc is locking into a perpetual update screen when restarting my pc. It will go through a couple rounds of listing a percentage, then almost like a circle of death, the load screen will show a spinning circle for over an hour with no percentage listed. I'm in my third round...
  5. Manually downloading/installing updates for win10?

Manually downloading/installing updates for win10?: I normally have updates set for manual: detect but advise only, pending manual execution (download and install). Years ago, on win7, I got bitten badly several times by doing the monthly patch update immediately. The bad patches were recalled by MS within a day or 2, but for...
  6. Manually download and install windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Manually download and install windows update: Is there a way to download the latest latest update of windows manually? Because my wifi in my pc randomly dont recognize any router i already tried everything i already reinstall windows but still wifi is still not working hoping the latest update fix this cause i heard this...
  7. How to manually download and install Windows 10 cumulative updates

in Windows 10 News
    How to manually download and install Windows 10 cumulative updates: Windows 10 as a service is updated frequently with improvements, fixes, and security patches. On every second Tuesday of the month, a compulsory Windows 10 update is released and optional updates are also shipped every month. Windows Updates are normally installed...
  8. How to install updates manually?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install updates manually?: I have started Windows 1809 update. But the internet connection was quite slow so I shutdown my system at 48% (downloaded). But when I have turned on my system to continue downloading, it says "You're up to date".[ATTACH] But when I checked the update history it shows...
  9. Windows 10 Updates Stucked..How To Download It Manually?

Windows 10 Updates Stucked..How To Download It Manually?: When I Started Downloading Windows Updates,they get stucked,or take too much time to start,and some time fails to update.So,How To get The URL lInks of the updates so i can download and install it manually. 27714
  10. Manually Download Update

Manually Download Update: I have a limited wifi issue. Toshiba states update KB3114149 may solve the issue. I can't determine if this update was included when I upgraded to 10586/1511 as it is not listed in Update History. Is there a way to manually download that update ? 32690