Windows 10: How to drag and drop programs to desktop

Discus and support How to drag and drop programs to desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm liking 10 the more I use it. However there are a few problems Microsoft has to deal with. In 7 it was easy to copy a program to the desktop. In 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bgraae, Aug 11, 2015.

1. bgraae Win User

How to drag and drop programs to desktop

I'm liking 10 the more I use it. However there are a few problems Microsoft has to deal with. In 7 it was easy to copy a program to the desktop. In 10 I've tried for a few hours and I can't seem to copy a program to desktop. In fact when I find a program I want to save to desktop, I can't do it. Is there a pro that knows the method?

:)

bgraae, Aug 11, 2015

2. Drag and drop from File Explorer to other programs

Hey Pierre,

What programs are you trying to drag & drop files into? With that knowlegde I may be able to help you.

Regards,

Timo Slijkerman

TimoSlijkerman, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Drag and drop from File Explorer to other programs

Mainly it concerns Gemvision's Matrix and Rhinoceros (3d modeling programs)

Pierre d'Es, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

How to drag and drop programs to desktop [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 11, 2015
  5. bgraae Win User
    Can you explain the graphics to me? You don't show the program brought up and how to get it to the desktop? Let's say I find a program on Google I want to save to desktop, how do I do it? Windows 7 was so easy, RC and save to desktop. I followed your suggestion, you are dragging one from the settings, not an app on the desktop. I need to be able to bring an app up with Google and then get it to the desktop. Can't do it in 10?

bgraae, Aug 11, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
    If want to add a program already installed to the desktop, open the Start menu, click All Apps, place r mouse cursor over the name of the program, click down on the left mouse button and hold it, move the mouse onto the wallpaper, then let go.

If want to download a file to the desktop, the instructions depend on r browser, but for each browser, set them to ask where to save downloaded files instead of automatically saving to a folder.

Google Chrome - Prompt Where to Save Downloaded Files - Google Chrome
    Mozilla Firefox - Startup, home page, tabs, and download settings | Firefox Help

If want to add a program or file to the desktop that is not in the Start menu, right click it (e.g. myfile.txt or firefox.exe) and click Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).

7. bgraae Win User
    I'm using Edge. Isn't there a very simple way to get a program saved to the desktop? The program I'm trying to save isn't already saved, it's a new program brought up with Google. It isn't saying to a folder, it's quite simple, save to desktop.

bgraae, Aug 11, 2015
  8. OldAussie Win User

I don't use Edge, but I have read that it gives no option about where to save downloads - they are always saved into your Downloads folder. So it would be a two step process. (1) download it (2) drag and drop from Downloads to Desktop.

By the way, it's a good habit to always use the right mouse button for drag and drop. Then you can choose between move or copy or create shortcut.

OldAussie, Aug 11, 2015
  9. bgraae Win User
    I can RC and up comes copy link. I can DND to the desktop. When I open it up comes a blank screen, that's it. I've tried several times. OK, I copied the file to the download file. When I bring it out to desktop and open it, up comes a blank screen? I can't get it to open. I really hate going back to 7 but Microsoft has to give the ease we had with it to 10.

bgraae, Aug 11, 2015
  10. OldAussie Win User
    Trying to guess from your descriptions what actually happened, I see a few possibilities...

Firstly: "I can RC and up comes copy link" suggests maybe you don't have a program saved from a website into your Downloads folder. Instead you only have a link. That can happen with some websites. There are two types of icon that say "Download"...

- Type A is the program file itself, either an .exe or a .zip. You can either left click it and your browser knows to download that file type, or you can right click and pick "save" or maybe "save target as" and that will also work.

- Type B is not the actual program. It is either a scripted downloader or a link to another page with the actual downloads. If you left click it works fine, downloading the file you want. But if you right click and pick "save", it saves the interim target (the downloading gadget or page) not the final target you were wanting. So you end up with something useless in your Downloads folder.

Therefore I suggest you go back to that web page and do it all with left clicks to download the program. The thing that arrives in your Downloads should be either an exe file (usually an installer or less commonly the actual program) or a zip file containing the program or its installer. Then it will behave as expected when you copy or move it from Downloads to Desktop.

I am only guessing that could be what went wrong. Please try my suggestion and let us know the result.

OldAussie, Aug 11, 2015
  11. OldAussie Win User
    Most likely this has nothing to do with Windows 10. The same problem would have occurred if you were doing it all in Windows 7 or 8. For example it could be a corrupted download.

If my suggestion in the post above doesn't work for you, maybe you could give us a link to the webpage you downloaded from, and tell us what item on that page you were downloading.

OldAussie, Aug 11, 2015
  12. Antilope Win User
    To make a Desktop Icon
    - find the program executable (.exe file) in File Explorer.
    - Right Click on executable and select COPY
    - Place the mouse cursor over the Desktop and Right Click and select Paste Shortcut.
    - You have created a Program Icon shortcut on the Desktop.

Antilope, Aug 11, 2015
  13. bgraae Win User

Antilope,

I want to thank you and all the others for their kind help in this matter. You have given me the answer. This is what we need to tell all 7 users. Under 7 you merely RC copy and move to your desktop and LC paste. Not so with 10. Here you have to RC copy and on the desktop LC and paste shortcut. It works, thanks to all!

bgraae, Aug 12, 2015
  14. RHV
    RHV Win User
    You need to install VMWare tools, it fixes the issue.

Thema:

1. How to drag and drop programs to desktop - Similar Threads - drag drop programs

2. Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar: Hi, Does anyone have any idea why Microsoft removed the ability to drag and drop onto a program on the Taskbar in Win11? for example, a file onto an open email? That's a huge takeaway! Do they have plans to fix the problem?...
  3. Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar: Hi, Does anyone have any idea why Microsoft removed the ability to drag and drop onto a program on the Taskbar in Win11? for example, a file onto an open email? That's a huge takeaway! Do they have plans to fix the problem?...
  4. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  5. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  6. Can't drag and drop into certain programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag and drop into certain programs: [IMG] I can't drag any files into FL Studio, and it looks like the programs is 'locked' in some way There's this shield on my program icon, and it looks like it's related to the problem, since I've never had this issue, and this shield icon there before. As you can...
  7. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  8. Drag and Drop Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drag and Drop Desktop Icons: Trust this is posted in correct forum...……… I cannot drag and drop desktop icons (?) They always move back. I have researched and tried 1) ESC key option 2) Task Manger explorer.exe option 3) Registry EnableLUA option. None of this worked. I've run sfc /scannow with no...
  9. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324
  10. drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drag and drop: How do I fix the drag and drop function on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/4f64f2ff-0a7d-45c6-9c26-fc131a8fd7b6