Windows 10: How to dual boot Windows 10 and 7 on separate HDDs

Discus and support How to dual boot Windows 10 and 7 on separate HDDs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I added a second HDD containing Win10 to Win7 machine with the intent of using EasyBCD to accomplish a dual boot setup. I'm not sure how but Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LumbarRaptor127, Dec 13, 2019.

1. How to dual boot Windows 10 and 7 on separate HDDs

I added a second HDD containing Win10 to Win7 machine with the intent of using EasyBCD to accomplish a dual boot setup. I'm not sure how but Win10 performed a repair on the Win7 drive making it unbootable. I removed the Win7 drive and Win10 boots fine. Therefore, if it is possible, can someone point me to instructions on setting up this type of dual boot?

:)

LumbarRaptor127, Dec 13, 2019
  2. Melvis Win User

What is the best way to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 and 10 after a fresh install of Windows 10

Windows 7 and 10 hate each other, I had dual boot W7/10 and they just want to repair each other all the time which ends up screwing the install and then refuses to boot. You have to install W7 first I think then Windows 10, you cant do it the other way around. This was on 2 separate HDDs

Melvis, Dec 13, 2019
  3. Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 by cloning Windows 7 to new HDD

Old title: Dual boot Win 10 and Win 7

Have Win 10 on SSD C:\ and a failing HDD with Win 7 and some programs I don't want to lose. I have a new HDD to use to create a dual boot. Media for Win 7 is no longer available. How do I clone the failing disk into a bootable partition on the new HDD?

DavidSchott263, Dec 13, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

How to dual boot Windows 10 and 7 on separate HDDs

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

How to dual boot Windows 10 and 7 on separate HDDs

1. How to dual boot Windows 10 and 7 on separate HDDs - Similar Threads - dual boot separate

2. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives: Hello and thanks for having me on the forum. Not too tech savvy and have a question. Windows 7 user on PC DELL 8700 XPS. I added another drive and and installed W10. All working well. I would like to set up dual boot. I can do it now by hitting F12 and choosing my OS....
  3. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  4. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  5. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  6. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  7. How to dual boot Windows 7 ON Windows 10

How to dual boot Windows 7 ON Windows 10: Here are the things that should be taken into consideration: Windows 10 currently installed UEFI (Legacy/BIOS is supported but I do not prefer using it as it may cause more problems in the future) 1 Hard Disk Drive Goals: Install Windows 7 on another partition Maintain...
  8. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  9. how to dual boot win 7 or 10

how to dual boot win 7 or 10: i was using easybcd setup in 7 but it has failed. select win10 leaves me with grub > prompt.*Sick so i selected win10 by using pc bios. am in 10 now. what can i use with win 10? stuff like this is worthless as it assumes both os are on same drive. mine are on seperate...
  10. Dual Boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu on Seperate HDDs

Dual Boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu on Seperate HDDs: I am looking to dual boot Windows 10 with Ubuntu. Windows is currently installed on a 256gb SSD while I have a 1TB HDD for general data storage which I don't really use since I have several external devices. Is it possible to dual boot this way since most methods I come...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual boot windows 10 and windows 7 separate hardrives

2. separate hdd dual boot

3. dual boot with separate HDDs

4. dual boot from seperate hdds with legacy bios