Windows 10: How to edit file in Windowsapps

Discus and support How to edit file in Windowsapps in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello. I want to edit a simple .json file in Windowsapps directory and I am not able to do so far. So far I have tried: 1) Setting ownership to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HeavyGlassCannon, Jan 31, 2021.

1. How to edit file in Windowsapps

Hello.

I want to edit a simple .json file in Windowsapps directory and I am not able to do so far.
    So far I have tried:

1) Setting ownership to myself and editing the file: Result: after setting ownership to myself I still get error: "You need permission to perform this action"
    2) Copying the file in another directory and editing there. However the edited file couldn't be copied back with the same error: "You need permission to perform this action"
    3) Switching to Ubuntu and editing the file there. Result: program in Windowsapps won't load the .json file.
    4) Editing the file with nSudo as System or as an TrustedInstaller gave same "You need permission to perform this action".

There seems to be some layer of protection that I am not able get trough. How to circumvent this? Does it have something to do with AppxBlockMap.xml, AppxManifest.xml and AppxSignature.p7x files?

Thanks in advance for any help.

submitted by /u/HeavyGlassCannon
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HeavyGlassCannon, Jan 31, 2021

2. WINDOWSAPPS FILE

Hi,

For us to provide you an accurate resolution regarding your WindowsApps folder issue, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any updates made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • Send us a screenshot of your WindowsApps and WindowsAppsOld folders so that we can double check the issue.
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve this?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jan 31, 2021
  3. S.cloris Win User
    WindowsApps folder says permissions are corrupted and need to be deleted, is this normal or critical?

According to your description, I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Navigate to the location C:\Program Files.
    2. Right-click on the WindowsApps folder, and select Properties.
    3. Turn to Security tab and click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Change and then type Users in Enter the object name to select area.
    5. Click on OK, then click Apply > OK. You can also add the TrustedInstaller to the users list and check if it takes effect.

However, you might be still not able to access the files. The workaround is to go inside the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, and repeat the same way with the Microsoft.WindowsStore* folders.

S.cloris, Jan 31, 2021
  4. Eagle51 Win User

How to edit file in Windowsapps

Getting full access to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

Hey x509,
    IIRC ... it's not actually a corrupt entry, but a special permission/condition (Exists:WIN://SYSAPPID) for Users(Pc-Name\Users) and shouldn't be removed. If you must change permissions on the WindowsApps folder and/or sub folders/files .... I suggest you get familiar with ICACLS first and save the current WindowsApps Folder / Sub Folders / File permissions to a acl.txt file, so you can restore them in case you break something (which is very likely when messing with permissions)

ICACLS - iCacls - Modify Access Control List - Windows CMD - SS64.com

Eagle51, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

How to edit file in Windowsapps

1. How to edit file in Windowsapps - Similar Threads - edit file Windowsapps

2. I cant edit WindowsApp

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I cant edit WindowsApp: i need to edit this folder to play this game which is giving me very low fps and a fps cap ive tried everything i gave myself ownership but i still cant edit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-edit-windowsapp/d7c2a42e-774b-498a-9a87-12902eabd48f
  3. I cant edit WindowsApp

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant edit WindowsApp: i need to edit this folder to play this game which is giving me very low fps and a fps cap ive tried everything i gave myself ownership but i still cant edit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-edit-windowsapp/d7c2a42e-774b-498a-9a87-12902eabd48f
  4. I cant edit WindowsApp

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to paste files in WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to paste files in WindowsApps: I have been trying to add custom capes on Minecraft by watching a video and it showed me to paste "persona" file in "Skin Packs" but it is saying I need permission to perform this action , i tried everything but it keeps reverting to read only....
  6. Can't edit anything in WindowsApps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't edit anything in WindowsApps?: I've tried everything that I can, safe mode, change permissions, but it just won't let me edit anything in there, even if I'm just doing a settings adjustment for Fallout 4...
  7. Editing/Creating files in WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Editing/Creating files in WindowsApps: Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with a not the folder WindowsApps folder: every time I try to copy and paste files from a folder in WindowsApps to another it tells me that I don't have the permissions to perform this action, even being an administrator. In the WindowsApps...
  8. How to move files to Windowsapps folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move files to Windowsapps folder?: My friend gave his hard drive where is alot of xbox game pass games. my internet is so bad it takes days to download 1 decent game. when i try to move a folder to my windowsapps, it gives "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here". Why did microsoft have...
  9. How to remove files in WindowsApps folder?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How to remove files in WindowsApps folder?: I bought a pc like 8 months ago and I bought xbox game pass for pc and downloaded few games. Then I had to reboot my pc, and all my GAMES were gone but the windowsapps folders didn't go anywhere. For example I downloaded Wolfenstein 2, I don't have the game anymore but I have...
  10. Editing WindowsApps Contents?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Editing WindowsApps Contents?: So, I recently downloaded World of Tanks Blitz, and I've been looking forward to modding it, however, the files, contained in the WindowsApps folder present a 'access denied' warning whenever I try to edit them (even when trying as an admin). I have heard of a method using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to edit files in windows apps folder