Windows 10: How to effectively kill "search" permanently from running background?

Discus and support How to effectively kill "search" permanently from running background? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. Does anyone know how to do that? I've tried all that I could and looked in many places but nothing so far worked for me, I cant manage to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by saresu, Nov 26, 2016.

1. saresu Win User

How to effectively kill "search" permanently from running background?

Hello.

Does anyone know how to do that?

I've tried all that I could and looked in many places but nothing so far worked for me, I cant manage to definitely kill "search" permanently.

My build is 1607 (OS build 14393.447) if that helps with anything.

Thanks

:)

saresu, Nov 26, 2016
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Nov 26, 2016
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Nov 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Why do you wish to do that? If it's working, search uses no resources when not indexing.
    Only initial indexing takes a few minutes- after that it's 'on-the fly'.

I can only think you'd want to do that for some sort of privacy reason, or it's simply not working properly.

When indexing, it backs off (stops) as soon as you use your PC.
    Searching settings is quick if search indexing is enabled. And of course searching the start menu.

Anyway, try:

Turn off windows 10 search indexing service (customize, disable)?

or

How to effectively kill "search" permanently from running background? [​IMG]

perhaps

or
    in Indexing options, untick all searched locations.

dalchina, Nov 26, 2016
  5. If you are talking about "SearchUI.exe", then run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

Code: takeown /f "%WINDIR%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" /a /r /d y icacls "%WINDIR%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" /inheritance:r /grant:r AdministratorsHow to effectively kill "search" permanently from running background? :(OI)(CI)F /t /c taskkill /im SearchUI.exe /f rd "%WINDIR%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" /s /q[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Nov 26, 2016
  6. saresu Win User
    [/quote] Thank U so much TairikuOkami! I believe it worked!
    But when I start Win and connect to the internet with WIFI I see a process called "@cortana..." hanging there for a while, then it goes away. What exactly is that?

saresu, Nov 27, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Cortana is the built in search function of Windows 10. Without SearchUI, which took the place of Index and Search, you have broken Cortona from trying to help you find files, by using Microsoft's bing servers. The best thing to do is just build a firewall rule to block the UDP/TCP requests for the ports that Cortana uses to send metrics out to Bing and Microsoft.

bro67, Nov 27, 2016
  8. saresu Win User

Hi bro67,

What are the UDP and TCP ports cortana uses? I created 2 outbound rules to block: %windir%\systemapps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy, one TCP and the other UDP but it didnt work... *Sad

saresu, Nov 27, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Nov 27, 2016
  10. saresu Win User
    Just got back to my PC today and saw ur reply. Thats very nice of you to share the link bro67. I'll be working this and see if I can make it.

Just in case... if I cant make it to block, leaving Cortana process opening for a few minutes and disappearing wont do any harm, right?

saresu, Nov 28, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to effectively kill "search" permanently from running background? - Similar Threads - effectively kill search

2. How to stop snipping tool from running in the background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop snipping tool from running in the background: When I start my computer windows 11 ver 22h2 the snipping tool starts and the screen turns dark. I hit the esc key and in comes up normally. When I try to type anything the snipping tool comes back on.* Moved from Community Center...
  3. How to stop snipping tool from running in the background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop snipping tool from running in the background: When I start my computer windows 11 ver 22h2 the snipping tool starts and the screen turns dark. I hit the esc key and in comes up normally. When I try to type anything the snipping tool comes back on.* Moved from Community Center...
  4. how does one permanently disable 'search'?

how does one permanently disable 'search'?: look i dont need a hot pile of so called 'useful' edge or bing based garbage. if i wanted to look things up id do it in my browser. if im looking it up in the search bar it means im changing settings or looking for files, not 14000 people searching the same thing and ending...
  5. Background processes can't be killed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Background processes can't be killed.: I updated from Windows 10 to 11 almost 2 months ago. All the applications I use regularly are updated as is WIndows. When I start an application, whether it is a Microsoft application or other applications such as Adobe, Autodesk, Spotify, and so on. If the application starts...
  6. Background processes can't be killed.

Background processes can't be killed.: I updated from Windows 10 to 11 almost 2 months ago. All the applications I use regularly are updated as is WIndows. When I start an application, whether it is a Microsoft application or other applications such as Adobe, Autodesk, Spotify, and so on. If the application starts...
  7. How to avoid permanent search in a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to avoid permanent search in a folder: Hello,I observe a rather annoying activity in a folder, containing video files: when the contents of this folder change, a search engine kicks in, blocking access to the files.How to stop it ?Thanks....
  8. Show background effects not available in teams

Show background effects not available in teams: I have some users reporting that the Show background effects feature is not available. Other users with the same device specifications have it. I have tried the following: - Clicking on the profile and looking for updates -Sign out and Sign back in Teams - Uninstalled...
  9. Weird Sound Effect playing in the Background from time to time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird Sound Effect playing in the Background from time to time: Weird Sound Effect playing in the Background from time to time, Whenever I play a game or watch Netflix from time to time, I start to hear this weird sound effect sorta of like sci fi sound effect playing in the background (headset) and it hasn't happened before. I...
  10. How To PERMANENTLY Kill flawed UPDATE ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How To PERMANENTLY Kill flawed UPDATE ?: anyone know the answer? what I do know is that the method that worked with windows 7 causes problems with windows 10. I have a device driver that does not work. lenovo et al will need some better device driver programmmers to take charge but 'till then I need it dead and...