Windows 10: how to eject usb external hard drive

Discus and support how to eject usb external hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; how to eject usb external hard drive that keeps on working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KRJB, Sep 27, 2019.

1. KRJB Win User

how to eject usb external hard drive

how to eject usb external hard drive that keeps on working

:)

2. Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

When I want to eject a USB stick I can do it 2 different ways (a) by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device (b) in File Explorer by right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB stick and clicking the Eject option

When I want to eject a USB external drive I only have one option, by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device. In File Explorer if I right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB external drive, there is no Eject option in the list of options.

Since I am usually in File Explorer when I have either a USB stick or a USB external drive plugged in, it is most natural to me to want to eject from within File Explorer after I have finished with the USB device.

Is there any way to 'switch on' an 'Eject' option within File Explorer for a USB external drive ?

Ron

PS this is true for both Windows 10 Home 32 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ron Hewett, Sep 27, 2019
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Sep 27, 2019
  4. how to eject usb external hard drive

Can't eject external hard drive

Hi Emily,

To address the issue you're experiencing with ejecting your external hard drive, you can refer to
    Ajay K's answer found on this
    link

Let us know the result.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

how to eject usb external hard drive

1. how to eject usb external hard drive - Similar Threads - eject usb external

2. Unable to eject usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to eject usb hard drive: When trying to eject usb mass storage device it is showing that it is in use by other applications. But after disconnected from internet hard drive easily can be ejected. Is there any web related serious issue ?like Ransomware or anything?I have quickheal antivirus...
  3. USB-A hard drive not being ejected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB-A hard drive not being ejected: Almost every time I try to eject my hard drive, my PC prompts that the file is in use and can't be ejected. I've closed all the apps, browsers, bluetooth, wifi, connections, everything. It still says that the file is in use. What the heck is really going on?...
  4. USB-A hard drive not being ejected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB-A hard drive not being ejected: Almost every time I try to eject my hard drive, my PC prompts that the file is in use and can't be ejected. I've closed all the apps, browsers, bluetooth, wifi, connections, everything. It still says that the file is in use. What the heck is really going on?...
  5. Can not eject external hard drive

Can not eject external hard drive: I currently have an external hard drive attached to my computer through a front USB port. When I try to eject it with the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon, it says "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and...
  6. Can't eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't eject external hard drive: When I try to eject my external hard drive I get the message "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." There are no programs using the device in fact, I've restarted the computer 3 times since I got...
  7. How do I eject an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I eject an external hard drive?: When I go to eject the drive, the eject button is greyed out and I can't click on it. When I go to the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" to try and eject, it says that it cannot because it's still being used in a program. I ended up closing all my programs and windows...
  8. Unable to eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to eject external hard drive: My new computer came with a previous version of windows 10 home a couple weeks ago. I had to download the newer version of Windows 10 in order to use the newest versions of Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Not long after downloading this I started to notice that I was unable...
  9. Can't eject external hard drive!

Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  10. Can not eject external hard drive!

Can not eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...