Windows 10: How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically

Discus and support How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; All files that you delete regularly on Windows are moved to the Recycle Bin first. Designed as a last resort to recover accidentally deleted files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 12, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically

All files that you delete regularly on Windows are moved to the Recycle Bin first. Designed as a last resort to recover accidentally deleted files, files that sit in the Recycle Bin may sit there for a long period. While that is not a huge problem most of the time, if disk space is scarce, it may be frustrating to empty the Recycle Bin manually regularly.

You could set a custom Recycle Bin size to avoid it occupying too much space on a drive, or, use automation to clear the Windows Recycle Bin regularly.

This guide offers a general solution to the Recycle Bin problem, and a specific solution that is only available on Windows 10 devices.

General Solution for all Windows versions

How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically powershell-delete-recycle-bin-files.png

The following method is compatible with all Windows versions and editions. It requires the creation of a batch file and running that batch file either using a policy or as a startup command.

1. Right-click on the desktop or another folder and select New > Text Document.
    2. Paste the following line of code into the document: PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -Command Clear-RecycleBin -Confirm:$false
    3. Save the document.
    4. Rename it to emptyrecyclebin.bat. Make sure the file has the .bat extension and not .bat.txt.
    5. Test the file once to make sure it works.

How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically empty-recycle-bin-shutdown.png

The next step depends on the Windows edition. If you run professional or Enterprise editions, do the following:

1. Open the Start Menu.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and select the result to load the Group Policy Editor.
    3. Go to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts > Shutdown
    4. Double-click on Shutdown to open its Properties.
    5. Select Add.
    6. Use the Browse option to pick the emptyrecyclebin.bat that you created previously.
    7. Select ok.

Windows will execute the script (to delete Recycle Bin content) when Windows shuts down automatically from that moment on.

You can use the same process to delete the script again if you don't want to use it anymore.

If you run Windows 10 Home, you may execute the script on startup by placing it in the startup folder:

1. Open Explorer.
    2. Type in the address bar shell:startup. This should open the startup folder.
    3. Drag and drop the script to the folder.

Windows will execute the script on startup automatically from that moment on. You can delete the script again if you don't want to use it anymore. (via Major Geeks)

Storage Sense on Windows 10

How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically empty-recycle-bin-windows-10-automatically.png

Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system comes with a new feature called Storage Sense; you may configure it to delete Recycle Bin content, and other temporary files, regularly and automatically.

1. Use the shortcut Windows-I to open the Settings application.
    2. Go to System > Storage.
    3. Select "Change how we free up space automatically" on the Storage page.
    4. Toggle Storage sense to "On".
    5. Set a desired period for the feature, e.g. every day, week, month, or on low disk space.
    6. Check "Delete temporary files that my apps aren't using".
    7. Set the desired period that deleted files need to sit in the Recycle Bin untouched before Windows deletes the files. The default period is 30 days, you may change that to 1, 14 or 60 days (or never).
    8. If you don't want files in the download folder to be deleted automatically, make sure that setting is set to "never".

Windows will from that moment on delete files in the Recycle Bin if the time they have been in the recycle bin untouched exceeds the selected period.

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 12, 2019
  2. Jan Del Win User

recycle bin

Hi George,

To prevent your files from being deleted from the Recycle Bin, we suggest increasing the maximum file size your Recycle Bin can keep by following the steps below:

• Right click on the Recycle Bin icon.
    • Under the Settings for selected location, select Custom size.
    • Fill up the box for your allotted maximum file size for your Recycle Bin.
    Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Apr 12, 2019
  3. Gino Des Win User
    RECYCLE BIN automatically closes & returns to Desktop

Hi,

You might be experiencing this issue because Recycle Bin is corrupted. If your Recycle Bin is corrupted, you can face various problems when using it such as this behavior. Let's repair Recycle Bin by

using the System File Checker tool
    . This tool scans for corruptions in Windows system files and restores corrupted files.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you manually delete the Recycle Bin folder on your computer. Each drive on Windows has a hidden and protected system folder named
    $Recycle.bin. When you delete files or folders, they are moved to the Recycle Bin folder for holding. If you delete the Recycle Bin folder, Windows will automatically create a new
    $Recycle.bin folder. However, all previous contents of Recycle Bin will be lost. Make sure to only do this step if you don't have any valuable data in Recycle Bin. Here are the steps:

• Click Start.
    • On the search bar, type Command Prompt, right-click Command Prompt from the results, and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Type rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin, and press Enter.
    • If you are using multiple drives or partition, you will have to do this for every partition on your hard disk by replacing C with the corresponding drive letter.
    • Restart your computer, and Windows will recreate a new Recycle Bin for you.

Keep us updated with the results, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Apr 12, 2019
  4. How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically

Lost Recycle Bin in Windows 10

Hello,

We highly suggest to follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button , type desktop icons into the search box, and then click Show or hide common icons on the desktop.
    • In the Desktop Icon Settings dialog box, do one of the following: To hide the Recycle Bin, clear the Recycle Bin check box. ...
    • Click OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Trixie Mop, Apr 12, 2019
Thema:

How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically

1. How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically - Similar Threads - empty Recycle Bin

2. Emptied recycle bin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Emptied recycle bin: Hello,I tried speaking to online help but was proptly ignored. My files were all moved to the recycle bin thinking they were still on my hard drive and not just on OneDrive, and then the recycle bin was emptied yesterday. Obviously having seen what happened, and the mistake...
  3. Empty Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty Recycle Bin: I have recently had a new Hard Drive installe. Having re-installed my software and apps I have a list of 42 files in recycle bin that will not delete https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/empty-recycle/6bacd00c-4699-478a-9de7-45cab25e6dd3
  4. Cant empty recycle bin

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cant empty recycle bin: Something is up with the recycle bin, i have different items in it mostly jpegs, Nef files and old documents etc, i can remove all files apart from the Nef files, anyone offer any help please on how i can remove these files please 157026
  5. recycle bin empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recycle bin empty: I am running win 10 and my recycle bin is always empty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-empty/d2651903-ae9d-4ed2-806a-e2a3adb4d751
  6. empty of recycle bin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    empty of recycle bin: hi everyone I tried to empty my recycle bin , but I couldn't recycle bin icon is off when I try to click it can you help me ��������...
  7. Recycle bin not emptying

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle bin not emptying: Hi I have had my new laptop with windows 10 for 2 weeks. When I go in and empty the recycle bin not all the items are deleted. When I right click on the items and hit delete they still don't delete. Please help. Howelm...
  8. Recycle bin will not empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle bin will not empty: I used a file synchronizer to get rid of a bunch of images and the program sent all the small files to the recycle bin. Anyway, there must be a thousand small file in my recycle bin that will not empty. The "empty recycle bin" begins the process by listing all the files, but...
  9. Empty Recycle Bin?

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty Recycle Bin?: Hi, New here . Lots of questions, but for now....How do I empty the recycle bin. I found how to access "Recycle Bin" on desktop but when I click on it a long list comes up and I have to delete each one individually and even that does not remove them. Where is the old reliable...
  10. After emptying the Recycle Bin: emptied bin is not shown as empty

in Windows 10 Support
    After emptying the Recycle Bin: emptied bin is not shown as empty: Hello, The title says it all, my desktop does not refresh automatically. Does this look familiar ? grtz, 101036

Users found this page by searching for:

1. empty recycle bin when windows closes