Windows 10: How to enable ALT + SHIFT for changing keyboard layout?

Discus and support How to enable ALT + SHIFT for changing keyboard layout? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I'm having problems making ALT + SHIFT change my keyboard layout. According to numerous guides I'm supposed to be able to set the language bar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Simon Kunze, Oct 16, 2018.

1. How to enable ALT + SHIFT for changing keyboard layout?

Hi

I'm having problems making ALT + SHIFT change my keyboard layout.

According to numerous guides I'm supposed to be able to set the language bar hotkey somewhere in the control panel under Region/Language but that option no longer exists - at least not where it used to be, according to the numerous guides available online.

So where can I change it now?

I know that Winkey + Space will change the language but I want it to be ALT + SHIFT so it's in line with my other PCs not running Windows 10.

Thanks!

:)

Simon Kunze, Oct 16, 2018

2. Alt-Shift doesn't change language

In Windows 7

Go to Start

Type on search:

Region and Language

Click on Keyboard and Languages tab

Then, Click on Change keyboards...

Click on Advanced Key Settings tab

Then select: Between input languages and click on Change Key Sequence...

In you case you will see both Switch Input Language and Switch Keyboard Layout options are Not Assigned.

you have to change

Switch Input Language to: Left Alt + Shift

And

Switch Keyboard Layout to Ctrl + Shift

Then Click OK

Done.

regards,

Khalil Alasmi

KhalilAlasmi, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Changing keyboard layout

This is a long stretch for me. But I think that if you look into it you will see that you also have to make changes for the <CTL> combinations.

For example, say the "y" key is numbered "25" in the system. When you press the key at position 25 it originally converted that to "y". But now you have told it to change it to "z". Fine, but I think you'll find that the combination of <CTL> and Key25 has it's
    own mapping, of <CTL><Y>. So, you (probably) have to change that combination also.

This page tells how to customize keyboards using the tool:

http://littletinyfish.com/create-a-new-keyboard...

One of the things it says on that page is:

<snip>

The Keyboard Layout Creator lets you map keys to Ctrl, Ctrl+Shift, Ctrl+Alt, and Ctrl+Alt+Shift among a few other functions.

</snip>

If you look on the left side of the Keyboard Layout tool you'll see check boxes for the Modifier combinations. You would have to check the CTL box and change the current "y" definition also.

Rohn007, Oct 16, 2018
  4. How to enable ALT + SHIFT for changing keyboard layout?

How to change the default keyboard layout shortcut.

Hi,

I would like to inform you that presently you may change the default keyboard layout by pressing
    Windows key + space and I would like to inform you that it is not possible to change the keyboard shortcut for the keyboard layout.

• If you would like to create shortcut for the applications, please follow the below steps:
    • Right click on the application and select properties.
    • Enter a key combination in the Shortcut key field. The combination must be CTRL + ALT + a letter / number.

Hope the information helps. Please do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

How to enable ALT + SHIFT for changing keyboard layout?

1. How to enable ALT + SHIFT for changing keyboard layout? - Similar Threads - enable ALT SHIFT

2. Why the hell was SHIFT+ALT replaced by CTRL+SHIFT to change keyboard layouts with the last...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why the hell was SHIFT+ALT replaced by CTRL+SHIFT to change keyboard layouts with the last...: Hi,I use CTRL+SHIFT all the time in my work at home or for my job. this is way too common as a shortcut to use it to switch kbd layout.So, since I installed a variant for my keyboard to switch from azerty to querty, I keep correcting EVERYTHING I TYPE. it even took me a...
  3. Why the hell was SHIFT+ALT replaced by CTRL+SHIFT to change keyboard layouts with the last...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why the hell was SHIFT+ALT replaced by CTRL+SHIFT to change keyboard layouts with the last...: Hi,I use CTRL+SHIFT all the time in my work at home or for my job. this is way too common as a shortcut to use it to switch kbd layout.So, since I installed a variant for my keyboard to switch from azerty to querty, I keep correcting EVERYTHING I TYPE. it even took me a...
  4. Annoying Alt+Shift pop-up keyboard layouts remove?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Annoying Alt+Shift pop-up keyboard layouts remove?: Hey, I want to remove that list who appears when you click Alt+Shift or Win+Space, It's really annoying me to use the computer when I'm playing. there's any way to remove that? [ATTACH]...
  5. Ctrl+Shift+1 changed to Ctrl+Alt+1 in Windows explorer to change view layout

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ctrl+Shift+1 changed to Ctrl+Alt+1 in Windows explorer to change view layout: I commonly use Ctrl+Shift+1 or 2 or 3 etc to change the windows explorer view layout. Recently, I discovered that the keyboard shortcut no longer worked, and after some experimentation, you have to press Alt instead of Shift now. I don't know why this occurred. I am using a...
  6. Keyboard Layout changes.

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard Layout changes.: Hi. I think I must be catching a specific key combination as frequently my " and @ keys change place. The only way I can get it back is to go to settings / advanced keyboard settings and language bar settings / Advanced Key Settings. Then set a key combination to go back to...
  7. Shift+Alt change only part of the keyboard

Shift+Alt change only part of the keyboard: Hi, For the last 20 years I use two input languages on my Windows10 latptop: UK English; and Greek It is now a couple of weeks that I noticed the following: When switching from Greek to English, only the letter keys are switched and for the character keys like @ I have...
  8. How to Change the Order of Keyboard Layouts

How to Change the Order of Keyboard Layouts: I have three keyboards layouts on my latest Windows 10 OS: English, Ukrainian and Chinese. Initially the order was such: English > Ukrainian > Chinese and then back to English. Some time ago, for some reason, this order changed and it is English > Chinese > Ukrainian now....
  9. How do I disable Alt + Shift to change the keyboard layout? Language options are still...

How do I disable Alt + Shift to change the keyboard layout? Language options are still...: Good Day, I want to disable alt + shift combination to change the keyboard layout. After googling it for a while I realized that I needed to do it on Control Panel and under language options. But there are no language options in the Control Panel?! It's missing. I've read...
  10. keyboard layout change

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard layout change: My keyboard has again defaulted to a layout which doesn't match the keys - probably after a windows 10 update - how to correct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/keyboard-layout-change/ba24ec7b-e85c-41ac-9179-366f2542e38c