Windows 10: How to enable an early version of the new Start Screen

Discus and support How to enable an early version of the new Start Screen in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; We recently discovered the beginnings of what appears to be the new Start Screen / Continuum mode in the most recent Windows Technical Preview. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Indianatone, Nov 14, 2014.

1. How to enable an early version of the new Start Screen

We recently discovered the beginnings of what appears to be the new Start Screen / Continuum mode in the most recent Windows Technical Preview. The Start Screen, being very early in development is very buggy and broken, however we understand that some of you wish to try it out.

Read the full article here:
    How to enable an early version of the new Start Screen in Windows 10 build 9879

:)

Indianatone, Nov 14, 2014
  2. ShayMeyer Win User

Assign a new version of an application to open a file

I have several versions of an application to handle a particular file-type (that is with a particular file-name-extension).

The versions of the application have the same file name, but are located in different folders.

When I use Control Panel in an attempt to associate the newest version of the application with the file-type there are problems.

1) Navigation through the various levels of menu did not change the version of the application called up to handle the file.

2) When I tried to assign a completely different application and then assign the new version of the application, Control Panel hung!

What is the correct procedure to achieve my aim?

ShayMeyer, Nov 14, 2014
  3. ShayMeyer Win User
    Assign a new version of an application to open a file

Hi Deepak_Krishnan R

Thank you for your reply.

The first method you suggest got me nowhere. The application that I require is not listed. It seems that only applications in the Program Files folder get to be listed. The application that I want is in Program Files (X86) in a sub-folder of
    a sub-folder. The lowest level has one sub-folder for each version of the application.

The second method that you suggest is essentially what I tried in the first place, except that I accessed it via Control Panel. As in my original query, it did not achieve the desired result.

ShayMeyer, Nov 14, 2014
  4. Tony K Win User

How to enable an early version of the new Start Screen

Thanks for the link, IT. *Smile

It looks interesting with the All Apps at the left if that's what it ends up that way. It's basically the 10's Start Menu full screen.

Not willing to try it as of yet since it's that buggy. You can try it on one of your test machines to let me know how it goes though. *Wink

Tony K, Nov 14, 2014
  5. I'll try it out on a VM in the morning so it won't be a loss as I can copy it beforehand. I'll take some screen shots and post them. I'll need help from those of you who use the 8 version.

6. Tony K Win User
    Ok. Cool. It'll be interesting. Thanks again! *Smile

Tony K, Nov 14, 2014
  7. Ztruker Win User
    I just tried it in a VM. This is what it looks like:

How to enable an early version of the new Start Screen [​IMG]

Ztruker, Nov 14, 2014
  8. Tony K Win User

That's interesting. There's a full screen button on the top. Does it?

Wondering what the numbers are in the tiles.

Thanks for this. *Smile

Tony K, Nov 14, 2014
  9. badrobot Win User
    Only clean install will fix that problem.

badrobot, Nov 14, 2014
  10. OK I tried it on a VM and got nothing. A tiny little window at the bottom of the screen I could not do anything with. Do not try this at home on your main system. It is not working very well if at all.

11. Tony K Win User
    Thanks IT. *Thumbs

Lol! "Do not try this at home". *Roflmao2

I'll continue to use and learn the new Start Menu then.

Tony K, Nov 14, 2014
  12. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Nov 21, 2014
  13. How to enable an early version of the new Start Screen

Thanks for that video showing it working, was tempted to try but didn't want to brick my install

Early days yet for this feature, but it doesn't look very touch friendly at the moment

paulsalter, Nov 22, 2014
  14. Tony K Win User
    Thanks, Edwin. *Smile

That's Continuum? *Huh That's the Start Menu. Howz that going to work with a human finger? MS must be out of their gourd if that's it!

Tony K, Nov 22, 2014
  15. waltc Win User
    From what I've read, the start menu (I removed all of the tiles from mine) is supposed to expand/contract according to user preference. This ideally would mean that the start menu (with/wo tiles) can either be a traditional start menu or it can be an 8.x-ish start page, complete with tiles, based purely upon user preference. We shall see...

waltc, Nov 22, 2014
Thema:

1. How to enable an early version of the new Start Screen - Similar Threads - enable early version

2. Enabling BitLocker early during SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling BitLocker early during SSD upgrade: I want to upgrade my Windows 11 Dell laptop from a 512GB SSD to a 1TB SSD.As the system partition is BitLocker-encrypted factory configuration, I can't go for a disk cloning approach, even with Samsung's excellent Data Migration tool that I've successfully in many HDD->SSD or...
  3. Enabling BitLocker early during SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling BitLocker early during SSD upgrade: I want to upgrade my Windows 11 Dell laptop from a 512GB SSD to a 1TB SSD.As the system partition is BitLocker-encrypted factory configuration, I can't go for a disk cloning approach, even with Samsung's excellent Data Migration tool that I've successfully in many HDD->SSD or...
  4. How can I roll back to a early version on windows???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I roll back to a early version on windows???: I have two Dell latitude computers won the camera is working fine the other one it is not. Only real difference is the version of windows. How do I roll back to an earlier version of windows. See below for specs of both laptops. NEW DELL LEGACY DELL Computer A- Device name...
  5. Trick to enable the new Start Menu on Windows 10 version 2004 now!

in Windows 10 News
    Trick to enable the new Start Menu on Windows 10 version 2004 now!: [ATTACH]Microsoft has started rolling out a new streamlined design of the Start menu on Windows 10 for version 2004 with update KB4568831. The new improved […] This article Trick to enable the new Start Menu on Windows 10 version 2004 now! first appeared on...
  6. how to enable new start menu on windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to enable new start menu on windows 10 2004: Install KB4568831 (you can opt into it via Windows Update). Open up Notepad. Paste the following text: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides\0\2093230218] "EnabledState"=dword:00000002...
  7. How do I enable the new Start Menu on Windows 10X?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I enable the new Start Menu on Windows 10X?: I want to know how to enable the new Start Menu that is going to appear on the soon-to-release Surface Neo as well as future PCs. How do I? Any tips?...
  8. Windows startup sound starts early on load screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows startup sound starts early on load screen: Hello community I have a little bit weird question, when I start my laptop windows startup sound begins when it is loading (lockscreen) and sometimes if it loads fast and shows the desktop that play sound suddenly interrupts, by default sound begins when windows shows the...
  9. To early to update to Version 1903?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    To early to update to Version 1903?: Those that have upgraded to Version 1903, is MS still coming out with download updates to that version quite frequently? Or, do you suggest waiting another month or 2? I waited 3 months to upgrade to 1809. This past May, I never saw so many updates to that...
  10. Early version of Windows 10 Cloud leaks

in Windows 10 News
    Early version of Windows 10 Cloud leaks: Microsoft is working on a new Cloud SKU for Windows 10 which is expected to be Redmond’s next take on Chromebooks. As it was recently reported by several publications, Windows 10 Cloud would be a lightweight version of Windows, possibly for Microsoft’s Windows 10 on ARM...