Windows 10: How to enable automatic Registry backup in Windows 10

Discus and support How to enable automatic Registry backup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft used to perform backups of the registry automatically, but the feature has been quietly disabled in Windows 10. If you want to regularly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jul 1, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

How to enable automatic Registry backup in Windows 10

Microsoft used to perform backups of the registry automatically, but the feature has been quietly disabled in Windows 10. If you want to regularly backup registry to RegBack folder, you’ll have to manually enable Registry backup feature in Windows 10.

Windows 10 version 1803, version 1809 and the latest version 1903 do not back up the registry automatically. The lack of registry backups in Windows 10 isn’t a bug and it has been introduced to reduce the overall disk space footprint of the OS.

At the moment, the RegBack folder is either empty or contains multiple registry hive without any content. The Redmond giant recommends Windows 10 owners to use system restore point instead of the traditional registry backup system, but you can still force the system to utilize traditional registry backup functionality.

In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to automatically backup Registry to RegBack folder (Windows\System32\config\RegBack).

To enable automatic Registry backup in Windows 10:

1. Open Start menu.
    2. Search ‘Registry Editor’.
    3. Browse to the following path:
      HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Configuration Manager\
    4. Right-click in the right-pane.
    5. Select > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    6. Set ‘EnablePeriodicBackup’ as name.
      How to enable automatic Registry backup in Windows 10 Automatic-registry-backup.jpg
    7. Double-click EnablePeriodicBackup entry.
    8. Change the value to 1.
    9. Click ‘OK’.

After editing Windows Registry, reboot the system to apply the changes.

It’s important to maintain registry backup as mistakes when editing the registry can cause crashes and other issues. If you often edit the Registry on your Windows PC, you should also maintain a system restore point.

Changes to Windows Registry

As mentioned, Microsoft has confirmed that the lack of registry backups is intentional to reduce the overall disk space footprint of Windows.

Instead of legacy backup, Microsoft recommends users to maintain Windows 10’s system restore points and use it to revert Registry changes.

A damaged Windows registry can also cause boot failures and other critical problems. In such a scenario, a system restore point would be more reliable than the traditional backup feature.

The post How to enable automatic Registry backup in Windows 10 appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jul 1, 2019
  2. Sean8 Win User

Automatic backup

I'm trying to setup automatic backup. In windows 7 I have it setup but it doesn't backup everything in that folder it backs up only stuff that was edited which causes confusion. Is there any easier way to automatically backup everything in a single folder to my external hd

Sean8, Jul 1, 2019
  3. Jerry8AB Win User
    Registry Backup - Question

Registry Backup

I am reading a book, Windows 10 Anniversary Update. It makes these two statements.

• File History also keeps a copy of your Registry.
    • Every time you start your computer, it makes a backup copy of that Registry.
    Where and how do I find these copies?

Thanks,

Jerry

5/29/17

Jerry8AB, Jul 1, 2019
  4. DLB26 Win User

Windows 10 automatic backup error 0x80070015

I've had the same problem as everyone else in this thread. I found this suggestion (proposed by Sachin Venkatesh, MS, back in 2015) worked for me:

Follow the steps to check if the backup service is started.

• Press Windows + R keys, type services.msc.
    • search Volume Shadow Copy and double click on it.
    • Set the Startup type to Automatic.
    • Click on Start in Service status and check.
    Source: Backup Error code 0x80070015

Mine was set to Manual... I changed it to Automatic and the backup immediately started running.

DLB26, Jul 1, 2019
Thema:

1. How to enable automatic Registry backup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - enable automatic Registry

2. Registry Backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Registry Backups: Based on a lot of Googling and information from this forum I created the below batch file to backup my Windows 10 registry from an elevated cmd prompt. Everything is working perfectly but I have a question on what I'm backing up. Are there other registry hives/locations that...
  3. Windows 10 Registry BackUp / Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Registry BackUp / Security: Over the last few releases of Windows 10, I have become very disenchanted using 'Restore Points' as a backup for my PC's registry; although having sufficient reserved space for them they inevitably get deleted a few - inconsistent - days leaving without workable registry...
  4. How to Re-Enable Windows 10 Automatic Registry Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Re-Enable Windows 10 Automatic Registry Backup: How to Re-Enable Windows 10 Automatic Registry Backup I want to re enable my registry backup in windows 10. Microsoft sayed they disabled the automatically registry backup for windows 10. My computer always crashes. if my registry will corrupt i can restore the registry...
  5. Enable Automatic Backs up of System Registry

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Enable Automatic Backs up of System Registry: This batch script enables automatic backs up of system registry to C:\Windows\System32\Config\RegBack folder on Windows 10. Restart your computer to make changes take affect. Code: :: Enable Automatic Backs up of System Registry to C:\Windows\System32\Config\RegBack Folder...
  6. Enable Automatic Backs up of System Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Enable Automatic Backs up of System Registry: This batch script enables automatic backs up of system registry to C:\Windows\System32\Config\RegBack folder on Windows 10. Restart your computer to make changes take affect. Code: :: Enable Automatic Backs up of System Registry to C:\Windows\System32\Config\RegBack Folder...
  7. Make Windows 10 automatically backup Registry to RegBack folder

in Windows 10 News
    Make Windows 10 automatically backup Registry to RegBack folder: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]A Registry Hive is a part of the Windows Registry which stores all necessary configuration of Windows OS. Its a sensitive part of Windows 10 which should always be handled carefully. While not many users make changes, if you planned [...] This post Make...
  8. Microsoft makes changes to automatic Registry backup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft makes changes to automatic Registry backup in Windows 10: Windows Registry holds tweaks for almost everything. You can use it to customize your Windows experience and unlock hidden features like Windows 10 Immersive search. While Registry is a handy tool, mistakes when editing it can cause a lot of issues, including booting and...
  9. Enable Automatic Backup of System Registry when Restart in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Automatic Backup of System Registry when Restart in Windows 10: How to: Enable Automatic Backup of System Registry when Restart in Windows 10 How to Enable Automatic Backup of System Registry to RegBack folder when Computer Restarts in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 backs up the registry to the RegBack folder when the computer...
  10. How to backup and restore the Windows Registry

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to backup and restore the Windows Registry: Quick Jump What is the registry? Why backup the registry? Wait, can’t I just copy all the files as I would usually do to backup files? Method 1: Backing up and restoring the registry using the Registry Editor (not recommended) Method 2: Backing up the registry using System...