Windows 10: How To Enable Expandable Folders

Discus and support How To Enable Expandable Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to enable expandable folders like in previous versions of windows. But can't find out how to do it. Here is a tutorial for Windows 7 to help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slue, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Slue Win User

How To Enable Expandable Folders

2. Ch-J Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane automatically expands/collapses folder tree

If I got it right this threat is about "automaticaly expanding" the folder tree in the left part of the Explorer, when clicking Folders in the right part of the Explorer. At least that was my issue when I started checking this. I missed it as well, and I
    found the solution here:
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/17027-how-enable-expandable-folders.html

The trick is to right-click a "free" area in the left side Explorer tree, to see this 3 Options:

How To Enable Expandable Folders [​IMG]

You Need the bottom Option, in english it is "expand to current Folder"

3. justaaasq Win User
    How to expand a folder on one click

I am currently on the newest Windows 10, and i have already checked the expand to current folder or expand to open folder under navigation pane tab. I still cannot get the function which you do one left click on This PC, the folder expand like the screenshot
    i uploaded. Not double click. how do i enable this setting?

justaaasq, Aug 16, 2015
  4. How To Enable Expandable Folders

Many things have been moved around but everything you is still someplace *Wink
    The best advice I can offer is to right click everywhere - you'll find lots of things. Your question is one of those things that were moved.

Right click an open area of the navigation pane
    Select Expand to current folder

Slartybart, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Slue Win User
    I tired that. But nothing changes.. No drop down arrows by the folders that show the sub folders.

6. You need to mouse over the navigation pane for the drop down arrows to show.

No mouse over:

Mouse over:

fracking4oil, Aug 16, 2015
  7. Try this, it might just work differently in Win10

With the Expand to current folder option selected, navigate to any folder in he main explorer window
    the sub folders of that folder should expand in the navigation pane.

Slartybart, Aug 16, 2015
  8. Slue Win User

I'm trying to that same thing. But with the folders on the right side. 1-Main & 2015. I want dropdown boxes for those subfolders

9. If what you want is a drop down arrow for folders in the right pane, I don't think that is an option.
    If you click on the folder 2015 in the right pane, the left pane should expand.

I think FrankingOil had the answer ... I missed it.

You might not the drop down arrows until you hover over a folder in the left pane - they're there just transparent until you need them.

Maybe I'm missing something, please post a screen shot of your File Explorer and the options you have set.

Hey, I just saw another option when I grabbed my example screen shot
    See if Expand to OPEN folder changes anything. It might just be a wording difference though (Expand to current vs Expand to open)

Anyway, let members see what you see and how File options are set - thanks.

Slartybart, Aug 16, 2015
  10. Slue Win User
    So from what I understand I can't expand the folders in the right pane ? But they will expand in the left pane ? Is that correct ?

11. You can open the folders in the right pane, but I don't think there ever was a tree view there. I just checked my Win7 box and nope, no tree view in the right pane.

Yes, the left (navigation) pane does expand with drop down arrows, or automatically if configured that way.

There are some 3rd party shells that do present a tree view - but as far as I know, the main navigation function in Windows Files Explorer is solely in the left pane.

You can see the tree in the left pane and navigate to any subfolder to see the contents. Play around with it - I think you'll become accustomed to the navigation method

There are TenForum tutorials for adding or removing different parts of the navigation pane
    TenForums search results for navigation pane
    On the results page, press the tutorials tab to see only tutorials.

Slartybart, Aug 17, 2015
  12. I just thought of something that might interest you.

Collapse the breadcrumbs in File explorer's address bar by pressing an open area of the address bar, then add a backslash '\' to the address. This gives you a a list of folders one level down.

If you select a folder from the list, you can add the backslash to that address and drill down the folder tree.

That's all I have.

Bill

Slartybart, Aug 17, 2015
  13. Slue Win User

Thanks for the help. Do you know the names of the " 3rd party shells that do present a tree view " ?

I had a look. But couldn't find any

Thanks
    Steve

14. Steve,

I'm sorry I don't know 3rd party shells at all. Other members do though.

Try searching for Windows Explorer replacement, Windows Treeview, or Windows Shell

The only names I can think of are Start10 and Classic Shell, but that's all I know about them.

Bill

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How To Enable Expandable Folders - Similar Threads - Enable Expandable Folders

2. How to fix explorer cannot expand folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix explorer cannot expand folders: Hello,New install of Win11 23H2 22631.2506, updated. I cannot expand folders in the treeview in Explorer. Instead of the folder expanding, i get the spinner icon. If i rename a folder in the file and folder list panel, it isn't reflected in the folder tree. Instead, nothing...
  3. How to fix explorer cannot expand folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix explorer cannot expand folders: Hello,New install of Win11 23H2 22631.2506, updated. I cannot expand folders in the treeview in Explorer. Instead of the folder expanding, i get the spinner icon. If i rename a folder in the file and folder list panel, it isn't reflected in the folder tree. Instead, nothing...
  4. How to re-enable the "Expand to Open Folder" option?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to re-enable the "Expand to Open Folder" option?: In the "File Explorer", "Expand to Open Folder" option is not working. This happend after updating "2023-09 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5030310".How to re-enable the "Expand to Open Folder" option?...
  5. How to re-enable the "Expand to Open Folder" option?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to re-enable the "Expand to Open Folder" option?: In the "File Explorer", "Expand to Open Folder" option is not working. This happend after updating "2023-09 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5030310".How to re-enable the "Expand to Open Folder" option?...
  6. how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover: In Windows 10. I keep copying files into the wrong folders due to the system expanding a folder at the instant I release a file copy into a folder in the navigation pane. This is NOT the 'Expand to current fodler' problem. This is when I have grabbed a file to move or copy it...
  7. Favorites Folder Not Expanding

in Windows 10 Customization
    Favorites Folder Not Expanding: [img] I got the favorites to show but it does have the ">" arrow but when I click it don't expand but goes to the folder, any ideas on how to make this thing expand? 148255
  8. How to enable start menu auto-expand?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to enable start menu auto-expand?: Does any one know how to enable the new start menu auto-expand side icons? link to feature article: https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/11/15/windows-10-19h1-to-change-start-menus-navigation-pane-behaviour/ thanx in advance!...
  9. How to expand folders in Windows Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to expand folders in Windows Explorer?: Windows Explorer (looking at some picture folders), grouped by something ( tags in this case). How can I expand all/collapse all? ***Modified title from: Windows Explorer expand all/collapse all button? ***...
  10. How to stop left pane folder from expanding?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop left pane folder from expanding?: This is driving me nuts, the left pane items auto expand randomly to show all the drivers in Computer for example. I then collapse them again, but after a while they expand again. How can I stop them from ever expanding? I'm not sure what's causing this as on a fresh...