Windows 10: How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11

Discus and support How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Files that you delete on Windows 11 PCs are deleted without a delete confirmation prompt. The default configuration sends the selection of files to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 23, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11

Files that you delete on Windows 11 PCs are deleted without a delete confirmation prompt. The default configuration sends the selection of files to the Recycle Bin. Users may restore accidentally deleted files from the Recycle Bin, unless it is has been emptied already manually or automatically.

Windows 11 comes with options to enable delete confirmation dialogs. These are displayed whenever files or folders get deleted by the user, e.g. by right-clicking on files in File Explorer and selecting the delete option, or by using the Delete-key on the keyboard while files or folders are selected.

How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11 delete-confirmation.png

Some users may prefer these confirmation dialogs to avoid deleting files or folders accidentally. It is a second safeguard that can be enabled, with the Recycle Bin being the first.

Tip: some users prefer to disable the Recycle Bin completely, or use the Shift-Delete shortcut to bypass it manually.

Enable Delete Confirmations on Windows 11 using the Recycle Bin

The process of enabling confirmation prompts when files get deleted is identical to the process on previous versions of Windows, including Windows 10.

Step 1: Right-click on the Recycle Bin icon that is displayed on the desktop by default and select the Properties context menu option.

How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11 windows-11-recycle-bin.png

Step 2: The Recycle Bin Properties window displays all Recycle Bin locations and the available space on each. Locate and check the "Display delete confirmation dialog" option at the bottom of the window. Select Apply and then OK to complete the process. Note that the setting is a global setting, meaning that prompts will be displayed for all delete actions on all connected drives from that moment on.

How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11 enable-delete-confirmation.png

Step 3: Test the new functionality. Just open File Explorer and delete a file, e.g. by right-clicking on it and selecting the Delete icon or by using the Delete-key on the keyboard.

You may undo the change at any time by removing the checkmark from the preference again in the Recycle Bin properties.

Enable Delete Prompts on Windows 11 using the Group Policy Editor

The Group Policy Editor is only available on professional and Enterprise versions of Windows 11. Here is how you enable delete confirmation dialogs on systems for users.

Here is the description of the policy:

Allows you to have File Explorer display a confirmation dialog whenever a file is deleted or moved to the Recycle Bin.

If you enable this setting, a confirmation dialog is displayed when a file is deleted or moved to the Recycle Bin by the user.

If you disable or do not configure this setting, the default behavior of not displaying a confirmation dialog occurs.

Step 1: Open Start, type gpedit.msc and select open from the menu; this loads the Group Policy Editor on the system.

Step:2 Use the left sidebar tree to navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer.

How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11 policy-file-delete-confirmation.png

Step 3: Double-click on the policy "Display confirmation dialog when deleting files".

How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11 display-confirmation-dialog-when-deleting-files.png

Step 4. Set the state of the policy to Enabled. Select Apply and the OK to complete the process and close the policy window again.

The PC needs to be restarted before the change takes effect.

You may undo the change at any time by setting the policy to Disabled or Default.

Turn on delete prompts on Windows 11 using the Registry

If the Recycle Bin icon is not displayed on the desktop or if you prefer using the Registry or need to use it, e.g. on Home editions of the Windows 11 operating system.

Step 1: Select Start, type regedit.msc, and select the open options from the menu. Windows displays an UAC prompt that you need to accept. The Registry Editor is started afterwards.

Step 2: Paste the following path into the address field at the top: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11 confirmfiledelete.png

Step 3: Right-click on Explorer and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value from the context menu.

Step 4: Name the new Dword ConfirmFileDelete.

Step 5. Double-click on the new Dword and set its value to 1. A value of 1 means that file deletion prompts are displayed.

A restart is required before the change takes effect.

You may undo the change at any time by deleting the Dword Value in the Registry.

Now You: how do you handle this on your machines?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 23, 2021

2. Windows 10 - How to Enable Windows Explorer File Deletion Confirmation

Hi,

By default, Windows 10 doesn't show a delete confirmation dialog box. However, you can still get the same confirmation box using
    Shift + Delete hotkey. If you wish to enable the delete confirmation box, follow these steps:

• On your Windows 10 desktop, right-click on Recycle Bin, and then select
      Properties.
    • Under General tab, check the option named Display delete confirmation dialog.
    • Click on the Apply button before closing the dialog box.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Nov 23, 2021
  3. TRON1982x Win User
    Windows 10 - How to Enable Windows Explorer File Deletion Confirmation

Hi, ok well I figured it out but I don't know why it does this. When you delete something from OneDrive using Windows Explorer you do NOT get the delete confirmation box, but if you delete a file on your local C: you do. I wonder if there's a way to turn
    that option on for OneDrive?

TRON1982x, Nov 23, 2021
  4. TRON1982x Win User

Windows 10 - How to Enable Windows Explorer File Deletion Confirmation

Shoot...I was hoping that was going to work but I did what you told me and when I hit delete on a folder and an individual file they immediately went to the recycle bin. I then hit delete on a file on my desktop and I received the confirmation box.

TRON1982x, Nov 23, 2021
Thema:

1. How to enable file delete confirmations on Windows 11 - Similar Threads - enable file delete

2. Deleted windows 11 confirmation email with activation key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted windows 11 confirmation email with activation key: I bought windows 11 home a few months back but was unable to install it as my system did not meet the system requirements. I have since updated my pc so that it will now be able to use windows 11 but accidently deleted the email with the activation key when i was clearing out...
  3. Deleted windows 11 confirmation email with activation key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted windows 11 confirmation email with activation key: I bought windows 11 home a few months back but was unable to install it as my system did not meet the system requirements. I have since updated my pc so that it will now be able to use windows 11 but accidently deleted the email with the activation key when i was clearing out...
  4. Confirm File Delete Window When Deleting Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confirm File Delete Window When Deleting Folder: When I delete a whole folder of a program from Program Files x86 and it pops up a warning window of a system file that will be deleted, is it OK to confirm its deletion. It is a program I no longer use, for example an old printer that is no longer installed.Will deleting such...
  5. Confirm File Delete Window When Deleting Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confirm File Delete Window When Deleting Folder: When I delete a whole folder of a program from Program Files x86 and it pops up a warning window of a system file that will be deleted, is it OK to confirm its deletion. It is a program I no longer use, for example an old printer that is no longer installed.Will deleting such...
  6. Confirming "delete file" in WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Confirming "delete file" in WIndows 10: I clicked on clicked on a file name in File Explorer to delete it. It was deleted immediately. File Explorer used to ask for confirmation before a file is deleted. How can I restore that as a default?...
  7. How to disable or enable Delete confirmation dialog box for Photos app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable or enable Delete confirmation dialog box for Photos app in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you want to enable the Delete confirmation dialog for the Photos app in […] This article How to disable or enable Delete confirmation dialog box for Photos app in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. How to enable confirm delete in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to enable confirm delete in File Explorer: Version 1903 (OS build 18362.535) How do I enable "confirm delete" in File Explorer? I already have it enabled in the Recycle Bin, but prefer to have it enabled in File Explorer. Thanks. 147315
  9. Recycle confirmation or Display delete confirmation dialog

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle confirmation or Display delete confirmation dialog: The function is enabled but if I delete a file in file explorer, I don't get asked to confirm. It deletes straight away. Can anyone help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-confirmation-or-display-delete/a577009e-cb85-44d2-930c-880c46866f28"
  10. Disable Permanently Delete Files confirmation

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Permanently Delete Files confirmation: I want to disable the Permanently Delete Files confirmation How i Can do that? 16392