Windows 10: How to enable gpedit.msc (Group Policy) on Windows 10 Home devices

Discus and support How to enable gpedit.msc (Group Policy) on Windows 10 Home devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc is only available in Professional and Enterprise editions of the Windows 10 operating systems. The editor is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jan 7, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to enable gpedit.msc (Group Policy) on Windows 10 Home devices

The Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc is only available in Professional and Enterprise editions of the Windows 10 operating systems.

The editor is not included in Windows 10 Home; while it is possible to make many changes in the Registry directly, using the Group Policy Editor is often more comfortable, especially when it comes to the discovery of new settings or making multiple changes.

Some tutorials on the Internet provide Group Policy Editor instructions only. Home users have to search for Registry keys linked to policies in those cases to make those changes to PCs running Windows 10 Home.

Windows 10 Home users could install third-party programs like Policy Plus in the past to integrate Group Policy support in Home editions of Windows.

Enable the Group Policy Editor on Windows 10 Home

How to enable gpedit.msc (Group Policy) on Windows 10 Home devices gpedit-windows-10-home-batch.png

A Reddit user published a batch script today on the Windows 10 board on the site that enables the Group Policy Editor directly on Windows 10 Home systems.

Note that it requires elevated privileges to run since it uses DISM.

Here is the script:

@echo off
    pushd "%~dp0"

dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~3*.mum >List.txt
    dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~3*.mum >>List.txt

for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . List.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i"
    pause

I have created the file and zipped it. You can download it with a click on the following link: windows-10-home-group-policy.zip

How to enable gpedit.msc (Group Policy) on Windows 10 Home devices windows-10-home-group-policy-editor.png

All you have to do is the following to enable gpedit.msc on Windows 10 Home.

1. Make sure you create a backup of the system before you make the change. I have tested this on multiple Windows 10 Home PCs and virtual machines and it worked each time without issues. You want to be on the safe side of things, however, so back up before you run the batch file.
    2. Extract the archive on your system using the built-in zip extractor or a free third-party program like Bandizip or 7-Zip.
    3. Right-click on the batch file, gpedit-windows-10-home.bat is the name if you downloaded the archive version, and select "run as administrator" from the context menu.
    4. Wait until the commands run their course.
    5. Press any button on the keyboard when asked to do so to exit the command prompt window. The Group Policy Editor should be available now.
    6. Open Start, type gpedit.msc and see if it pops up as a result.

Now You: do you use the Group Policy Editor?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to enable gpedit.msc (Group Policy) on Windows 10 Home devices appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jan 7, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Jan 7, 2019
  3. erocker Win User
    Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Any Windows update breaks my Creative sound drivers. Best way for me is to disable it via group policy:

• Go to Run –> gpedit.msc
    • In the Group Policy Editor, go to Computer Configuration –> Administrative Templates –> System –> Device Installation –> Device Installation Restrictions
    • In the right hand pane, select “Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings” and set it to Enabled.
    Once that's done, uninstall the driver Windows put in there and install the correct one.

erocker, Jan 7, 2019
  4. How to enable gpedit.msc (Group Policy) on Windows 10 Home devices

DavidBaileyyz, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

How to enable gpedit.msc (Group Policy) on Windows 10 Home devices

1. How to enable gpedit.msc (Group Policy) on Windows 10 Home devices - Similar Threads - enable gpedit msc

2. Enable Group Policy Editor-Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable Group Policy Editor-Windows 11 Home: How do I enable gpedit.msc in Windows 11 Home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-group-policy-editor-windows-11-home/de701dd3-bf69-4dbb-a5e2-eb17940ff92f
  3. Gpedit Google Group Policy Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gpedit Google Group Policy Question: I am just a regular home user and I am a tech novice. I know nothing about the computer. And I am using an regular windows 10 pro. I don't know what domain-joined or MDM-managed computers are. And I do not want to know either. So plz don't tell me anything about them. All I...
  4. Gpedit Google Group Policy Question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Gpedit Google Group Policy Question: I am just a regular home user and I am a tech novice. I know nothing about the computer. And I am using an regular windows 10 pro. I don't know what domain-joined or MDM-managed computers are. And I do not want to know either. So plz don't tell me anything about them. All I...
  5. Gpedit Google Group Policy Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. How to enable the Group Policy Editor on Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable the Group Policy Editor on Windows 11 Home: Microsoft ships a useful tool called the Group Policy Editor, commonly known as Gpedit.msc or just GPEDIT, with the Pro version of its Windows operating system. It is handy for enabling or disabling functions of various elements in the OS, by changing Registry values, but in...
  7. Change Microsoft Edge Policy in GPEdit (Group Policy)

in Browsers and Email
    Change Microsoft Edge Policy in GPEdit (Group Policy): Hi forum I want to disable two Edge policies below, but I can't find anything in GPEdit (Group Policy)! Any help? (Current Edge version : 91.0.864.37 Stable x64) Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation | Microsoft Docs Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation |...
  8. Enabling Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Enabling Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) in Windows 10 Home: Needed to tweak background bandwidth and.... No Group Policy Editor. So, researched a bit and found this link. The second method with the powershell, the Batch File (gpedit-enabler.bat), worked for me Enable Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 home ..... Windows 10 home ver...
  9. enable group policy on Windows 10 Home Edition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    enable group policy on Windows 10 Home Edition: I was wondering if there is any way for me to enable the edit group policy application (gpedit.msc) on Windows 10 Home edition. I found an article [https://pureinfotech.com/add-group-policy-editor-gpeditmsc-windows-10-home/ ] that claims it is possible to enable it by...
  10. Enable Group Policy in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Enable Group Policy in Windows 10: Have just read the the 'Local Group Policy Editor' is not included in Windows 10 home edition. 1. If true how to get it ? 2. What is it used for ? 62122
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 home gpedit

2. enable gpedit.msc windows 10 home

3. windows 10 home gp edit

4. cant open gpedit,
  5. GPEDIT DONT WORKS on windows 10 home,
  6. gpedit recover 1909,
  7. gpedit.msc,
  8. [https://pureinfotech.com/add-group-policy-editor-gpeditmsc-windows-10-home/,
  9. gpedit enabler windows 10 home edition,
  10. windwos 10 home gpedit,
  11. log on as a batch not enabled in gpedit.msc,
  12. unable to make changes in gpedit.msc,
  13. gpedit windows 10 enable