Windows 10: How to Enable HDR for Apps using ICC Profiles in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Enable HDR for Apps using ICC Profiles in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. You may have heard this term floating around somewhere, maybe in one of the commercials for a high-end television or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 2, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to Enable HDR for Apps using ICC Profiles in Windows 10

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. You may have heard this term floating around somewhere, maybe in one of the commercials for a high-end television or the newest smartphones. Without going into detailed specifications of what the term entails and taking a pinch from what its name indicates, it serves the purpose of enhancing images on a monitor.

In an Insider build, Microsoft has enabled the support of HDR for certain specific apps, apps that are a part of ICC (International Color Consortium). This HDR functionality will not be found to be automatically enabled on these select apps, users have to manually do so. Thus, today we will be showing you how to enable the HDR functionality on ICC-enabled apps in Windows 10 – which will be available in the stable versions soon.

What is HDR? Why you may need it?

How to Enable HDR for Apps using ICC Profiles in Windows 10 Enable-HDR-for-Apps-using-ICC-Profiles-in-Windows-10.jpg

As much gravitas as the term has in its name, HDR serves a very niche feature. It is important for you to know what that purpose is and figure out for yourself if you genuinely need it. Windows has enabled the HDR mode for some of the most commonly used creative apps like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom Classic, and CorelDraw.

The contrast in a media file gives an account of the dark and light-colored profiles. The dynamic range does the job of describing the difference between those two extremes and the details that can be displayed in between them. HDR works towards broadening the contrast in an image, and it does so by supporting and enhancing more vibrant colors. This new feature is going to let these apps get accurate colors and access to the complete color profiles of your display. Users should note that they will only be able to use the HDR mode on their computer provided they have HDR-compatible monitors.

Conventionally, there have been preset ranges and boundaries set to the details of a color profile. HDR seeks to expand that by giving information about brightness and color over a wider range. Displays that are compatible with HDR can show images composing colors wider than the standard gamut (or spectrum) of colors, which for the ICC enabled apps had till date been the sRGB color.

To brief it all down, HDR-enabled technologies can help you visualize brighter(or even darker), more colorful, and more detailed content, that is when it is put to use properly. Use it properly, and you can display both, objects that are too dark and are too light together, in fine quality.

So, if you are an individual who requires images that possess a great deal of precision and detail in terms of their color profiles (be it for your professional or personal purposes), or just someone who appreciates photos in a dynamic range, this feature may prove to be very useful for you. As mentioned earlier, Windows users do not have this feature pre-enabled even on the few apps that support it right now. We will now walk you through the steps you have to follow to enable HDR on ICC-enabled apps.

Read: Monitors showing different colors in dual monitor setup.

Enable HDR for Apps using ICC Profiles in Windows 10

How to Enable HDR for Apps using ICC Profiles in Windows 10 app-properties.png

The option to enable the HDR functionality is called Legacy Display ICC color management, and it is pretty easy to turn on:

1. Close the app in which you want to enable HDR (if you have it running in your background)
    2. Right-click on the app’s icon.
    3. From the list of options, select Properties.
    4. You will then see a couple of tabs on top. Select the Compatibility tab.
    5. Under the ‘Settings’ section, check the Use legacy display ICC color management option.
    6. Apply these settings and exit the window.

How to Enable HDR for Apps using ICC Profiles in Windows 10 enable-hdr.png
    Source: Windows Insider Blog

You can follow a similar trajectory and unfollow the HDR setting if they don’t find it to be useful. Open up the app properties as has been done above and uncheck the Use legacy display box that was checked before.

It is possible for some of the users to not be able to see the option to enable HDR. If that is the case, it may be because this feature does not support the Windows build that your computer is running on. The HDR functionality was introduced in computers running on Build 21382 and later versions. It is, however, expected that this feature will be made generally available for all Windows PCs in the 21H2 update.

Speaking of the 21H2 update, there are a couple more useful features that will be introduced thereon including Auto HDR for gaming on PCs. The Auto HDR features will take games sporting DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 SDR and kick them up a notch in terms of color and brightness to HDR. In their own words, this is going to offer users a new, unique gaming experience that will allow them to make complete use of their monitors’ capabilities.

How to Enable HDR for Apps using ICC Profiles in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    This article How to Enable HDR for Apps using ICC Profiles in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Jun 2, 2021
  2. skum-cat Win User

HDR mode and color profiles

Hello

I have a calibrated ICC profile for normal sRGB mode. When i switch to HDR mode, it still using the calibrated profile, and giving weird colors and white balance.

I have tried to add a Rec.2020 HDR profile to ICC-profile (Advance color) list in color management. But I can´t use it at standard colors in HDR mode. Nothing happens when i try to applied it.

So to be clear:

In normal mode I want to use calibrated icc profile for sRGB.

And in HDR mode, using the standard REC.2020 icc profile.

skum-cat, Jun 2, 2021
  3. Windows 10 v1909 ICC Profiles - Advanced Color

In the Windows 10 v1909 control panel Color Management app I load an ICC profile for an HP color laserjet printer. Two sections appear in the Color Management app - "ICC Profiles" and "ICC Profiles (Advanced Color)". What is difference between these
    two sections? In particular, what does "Advanced Color" mean?

Bill Vallance, Jun 2, 2021
  4. MedFlex Win User

Will Windows 10 be compatible with ICC profiles v4?

ICC profiles are not a program to be compatible with, but the way color management is handled.

Some applications in Windows 7 like Microsoft Photo Viewer supported V4 profiles in slide show mode but only V2 profiles (the older ICC standard) when not in slide show mode. This was annoyingly inconsistent.

So another way to ask the question might be how well implemented are the Microsoft Apps and Windows 10 in general to the latest ICC color profile standard or are their still weird inconsistencies like in prior operating systems.

A related question would be does the Edge browser properly support Version 4 ICC profiles. Prior browser support was another problem area where browsers are concerned.

For instance the latest version Chrome supports only v2 icc profiles (at least in my test).

While IE 11 supports V4 and 2 ICC profiles which makes IE 11 a much better browser if you have profiled your monitor with an up to date tool and want to view accurate colors while browsing as compared to the Chrome browser.

Here's an interesting link one can use to see what level of ICC support applications have:

Is your system ICC Version 4 ready?

The box at the top of the page is broken up into 4 quadrants with different color standards. How this page looks on your monitor in different apps will answer the questions about which versions of ICC support exist or if there is no ICC support.

I've upgraded a couple of my computers to Win10 but have not profiled them yet. My profiling app is the latest i1 toolset can calibrator from xrite. This creates Version 4 ICC profiles which can be problematic. The older Version 2 profiles are generally
    supported. I can check this out. Of course, an official response about the level of ICC V4 color management support by the major Microsoft apps in Win10 would be nice to know without having to do the basic research. And clearly, the Windows Compatibility
    Center, since we are not talking about application compatibility, not going to help answer the original question.

Hopefully that clarifies the Original Poster's question.

I would imagine since IE11 had V4 support that Edge still does, but since Photo Viewer had mixed support within the same app, no way to know without testing.

MedFlex, Jun 2, 2021
Thema:

1. How to Enable HDR for Apps using ICC Profiles in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable HDR Apps

2. Windows ICC profile naming limitations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows ICC profile naming limitations: what is maximum length of profile name do windows color management supports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-icc-profile-naming-limitations/773972a8-3061-4116-8c0d-7422d75a4489
  3. How To Enable HDR Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How To Enable HDR Windows 10: HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and we use it to add a dramatic upgrade in picture quality, video, brightness, and color contrast compared to SDR, and some also know it as Standard Dynamic Range. For More Information -...
  4. How to enable Auto HDR in Window 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable Auto HDR in Window 10: [ATTACH]HDR or High Dynamic Range allows one to experience an increased range of color and luminance (the intensity of light emitted from a surface per unit area), which is especially useful when it comes to gaming and watching movies. Many games and movies support it, but...
  5. How to enable HDR

How to enable HDR: I recently purchased a windows 10 computer with intel intergrated graphics card UHD 620. I have the kaby lake R and upgraded to Win10 1909 version. I go to the video settings and I have no options to enable or turn on HDR. It just says 8 bit no HDR. How do I get or enable...
  6. ICC Profile for Monitor?

ICC Profile for Monitor?: I’ve never used an ICC Profile before and I’ve successfully added a profile as default but nothing changed on the monitor. I looked at my monitor’s picture setting and nothing has changed there. Am I missing something? When I added the ICC profile I figured it would change my...
  7. How to install a Color Profile in Windows 10 using an ICC Profile

in Windows 10 News
    How to install a Color Profile in Windows 10 using an ICC Profile: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Ever wondered why an image looks different on every monitor? Why some of the pictures taken from a phone look surprisingly better on another phone’s display? The answer is how the display has been configured to output the correct color [...] This post How to...
  8. ICC Monitor profile reset

ICC Monitor profile reset: So I got me a new Monitor and downloaded an ICC profile which I did set up via the windows 10 color management - I now would like to deactivate it again and thought if I would uncheck "Use my settings for this device" in color management it would go back to standard, but...
  9. ICC profiles ignored under Color Management app in Windows 10.

ICC profiles ignored under Color Management app in Windows 10.: I'm having two issues here using Windows 10. 1. When I do the "Identify" under Display settings I see that DELL monitor is numbered as 1 and BenQ is numbered as 2. At the same time under Color Management next to a "Device" is says that BenQ is 1 and Dell is 2....
  10. ICC colour profiles

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ICC colour profiles: I want to remove a yellowish tint from my laptop screen - LG Display LP173WF4-SPF5 I have added a few ICC profiles but the colours look exactly the same, is this possible with laptop screens or is it just for monitors?...