Windows 10: How to Enable MDS Mitigation?

Discus and support How to Enable MDS Mitigation? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just updated my laptop to v1903 and installed KB4497165: Intel microcode updates. The security report looks fine apart from the extract below:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Steve C, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Steve C Win User

How to Enable MDS Mitigation?

I just updated my laptop to v1903 and installed KB4497165: Intel microcode updates. The security report looks fine apart from the extract below:

Speculation control settings for MDS [microarchitectural data sampling]Windows OS support for MDS mitigation is present: TrueHardware is vulnerable to MDS: TrueWindows OS support for MDS mitigation is enabled: False

Should I enableWindows OS support for MDS mitigation and how do I enable it?

:)

Steve C, Jun 8, 2019
  2. Rob dB Win User

Mitigation not enabled

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by system policy: False

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by absence of hardware support: False

BTIWindowsSupportEnabled : False

BTIDisabledBySystemPolicy : False

BTIDisabledByNoHardwareSupport : False

So what I can gather by this is that the system mitigation is disabled, however not by policy or absense of hardware, so in a nutshell, windows doesn't want to enable it for some unknown reasons. Unlike others who have the mitigation disabled due to absense
    of hardware support mine is apparently completely software related.

So I'll ask you guys, how do I enable the protection?

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True

As you can see both hardware and software support it.

Rob dB, Jun 8, 2019
  3. Rob dB Win User
    Mitigation not enabled

According to windows Update it's installed, however I do not see it in control panel, when trying to reinstall the update it also says it's already installed.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's also in the controlpanel. So yeah, it's installed. As already stated:

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True <- This indicates I have succesfully installed microcode update

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
    <- This indicates that I have succesfully installed the Windows Update

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False
    <- This tells me that the mitigation protection is disabled

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by system policy: False
    <- This tells me that it's not due to policy

Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by absence of hardware support: False <- neither because of hardware

So ya... dno what to do to enable the mitigation since it seems that at this point windows is trolling me. I'll try to reinstall the update.

Rob dB, Jun 8, 2019
  4. t0yz Win User

Mitigating the last "L1 terminal fault" vulnerabilities - possible or not?

I've read that, thanks.

If what you saying is true, this is a departure from how previous vulnerabilities were described, and just adds confusion. The previous way of doing it made far more sense, you could see if the necessary hardware (microcode) was there and if the mitigation
    is enabled&working.

With this formulation, it suggests that the hardware is vulnerable, and that's it. Yes you applied the mitigations, but... hardware is still found to be vulnerable.

The whole reason we apply these mitigations is to patch the vulnerable hardware and achieve a non-vulnerable state. You don't want to see that you're still vulnerable with all mitigations in place.

t0yz, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

1. How to Enable MDS Mitigation? - Similar Threads - Enable MDS Mitigation

2. BSOD mitigation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD mitigation: My pc started Blue screening today and after eventually removing 3/4 of my RAM sticks it seems stable but wanted to get some eyes on a few dumps for clarification as IO've been having intermittent problems for a few weeks now....
  3. BSOD mitigation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD mitigation: My pc started Blue screening today and after eventually removing 3/4 of my RAM sticks it seems stable but wanted to get some eyes on a few dumps for clarification as IO've been having intermittent problems for a few weeks now....
  4. BSOD mitigation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Security Mitigations

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security Mitigations: Under security mitigations in event viewer. I get several warnings of these a day. Process device harddisk volume 3 program files waterfox waterfox.exe was blocked for making system calls to win32k.sys. Is there anything I need to do to not get this worrying and can I just...
  6. Security Mitigations

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Security Mitigations: Under security mitigations in event viewer. I get several warnings of these a day. Process device harddisk volume 3 program files waterfox waterfox.exe was blocked for making system calls to win32k.sys. Is there anything I need to do to not get this worrying and can I just...
  7. Windows MDS mitigation gone after update to 1909?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows MDS mitigation gone after update to 1909?: I just updated my Laptop (I5 4200U) from version 1903 to 1909. Before updating, the SpeculationControl Powershell script showed: Windows OS support for MDS mitigation is present: True Hardware is vulnerable to MDS: True Windows OS support for MDS mitigation is enabled: True...
  8. Enable Retpoline to mitigate Spectre variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enable Retpoline to mitigate Spectre variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715): Following the release of Cumulative Update KB4482887 Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.348 there is a lot of discussion regarding the new Retpoline mitigation. This feature has been included in the KB4482887, but is disabled by default. In future updates, or the next Feature...
  9. Spectre mitigations in MSVC

in Windows 10 News
    Spectre mitigations in MSVC: Microsoft is aware of a new publicly disclosed class of vulnerabilities, called “speculative execution side-channel attacks,” that affect many operating systems and modern processors, including processors from Intel, AMD, and ARM. On the MSVC team, we’ve reviewed information...
  10. KB4078407 Update to enable mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2

in Windows 10 News
    KB4078407 Update to enable mitigation against Spectre, Variant 2: This update does not provide protection against Spectre Variant 2. All it does is turn on protection if you had previously disabled it because of a bad BIOS update.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mdswindowssupportenabled

2. Windows OS support for MDS mitigation is enabled: False

3. how to get mdswindowssupportenabled to true

4. windows os support for mds mitigation is enabled,
  5. Windows OS support for MDS mitigation,
  6. windows os support for mds mitigation is enabled is false,
  7. mds mitigation required,
  8. Check whether Windows OS support for MDS mitigation is enabled,
  9. Group policy to Mitigating Spectre variant ,
  10. hardware is vulnerable to mds: truewindows os support for mds mitigation is enabled: false,
  11. windows10 how to enable mds mitigation,
  12. enable branch target injection mitigation,
  13. btidisabledbysystempolicy,
  14. enable btidisabledbysystempolicy,
  15. MDSWindowsSupportEnabled False