Windows 10: How to enable or disable Auto-Mounting of Drives, Disks, Volumes in Windows

Discus and support How to enable or disable Auto-Mounting of Drives, Disks, Volumes in Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Whenever a new drive or any storage device is attached to a Windows 10 computer, the Operating System tends to automatically allot at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Feb 5, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

How to enable or disable Auto-Mounting of Drives, Disks, Volumes in Windows

WinClub, Feb 5, 2019

2. How to view free space of a mounted volume in windows 10 ?

Hi Marvin,

• Running Windows 10 version 1709, Build 16299.125.
      • Have been running Win10 since the initial release, auto update is turned on
      • Previous versions until ~ April/May 2017 have worked fine.

• This is a home-built system, about 5 years old.
      • Intel i5-2500K CPU
      • Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard
      • Sapphire/AMD Radeon HD5750 graphics card
      • Multiple HDD's (Seagate, Samsung), all formatted at NTFS, all 2TB+
      • 5 HDD's are mounted this way, and the problem affects all of them.

• Troubleshooting attempts:
      • Tried remounting in a new folder - no success
      • Assigned drive letter - Works fine
      • Assigned drive letter AND mounting to a folder simultaneously - Drive letter works, folder-mounted volume reports zero used/free space
      • Ran extended disk diagnostics (Seagate SeaTools, WD DataLifeguard) - No problems found
      • Hard Disk Sentinel Pro 3.60 reports 100% health on all volumes.
      • Tried mounting a new HDD - Windows reports zero Free space and zero Used space
      • Tried turning Disk Indexing on and off -- no effect
      • Have not tried Safe-Mode yet
      • Have not defragged because there have been no disk performance issues or errors ***EDIT*** Windows reports that all volumes are being optimized automatically (Frequency: Weekly). I did not realize this was enabled.
      • Have not done a clean install of Windows

PeteLam1ofMany, Feb 5, 2019
  3. auto-mount removable drives to NTFS folders

It used to be common to use autorun.inf on removable drives but the proliferation of security threats has rendered this facility useless. So I'd like to have the following Security feature added to currently supported versions of Windows (not just Windows
    10)

1. to auto-mount non-NTFS formatted removable drives to a designated folder

2. no assignment of drive letter(s) & administered from the disk management console.

3. NTFS folder permissions shoult block network access by default on the mount-point.

I know it's possible to disable auto-mounting but it isn't flexible enough to redirect to a pre-designated folder/mount-point.

Is it possible to retro-fit the facility into Windows?

Drive letters should have been eradicated by now as there's no need for a 16-bit subsystem.

technogeist2k10, Feb 5, 2019
  4. nrr18 Win User

How to view free space of a mounted volume in windows 10 ?

I have several mounted drives attached to folders. At one time I was
    able to see the free space under "properties" but NOT now.

I did some "experimentation":

Windows + R

CMD

C:>dir

[gives me a list of all the volumes, including mounted drives. So if one of my "mounted drives" is listed as "Seagate backup plus", if I type WITH " " marks:]

dir "Seagate backup plus"

[I will see a list of all directories on THAT drive AND disk usage statistics]

nrr18, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

1. How to enable or disable Auto-Mounting of Drives, Disks, Volumes in Windows - Similar Threads - enable disable Auto

2. How to enable a disk that was disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable a disk that was disabled: Some time ago I installed a SDD in my Lenovo desktop Win10 and disabled the hard drive, and now want to use that drive to store a backup clone of my system. I don't recall the steps used to perform the disable, but I believe I utilized either disk or device management...
  3. How to enable a disk that was disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable a disk that was disabled: Some time ago I installed a SDD in my Lenovo desktop Win10 and disabled the hard drive, and now want to use that drive to store a backup clone of my system. I don't recall the steps used to perform the disable, but I believe I utilized either disk or device management...
  4. How to enable a disk that was disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. does a mounted volume use disk space on the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does a mounted volume use disk space on the hard drive?: I have a Box mounted volume. Does this also use space on my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-a-mounted-volume-use-disk-space-on-the-hard/42917f1c-32f3-49eb-97ae-018f643d3546
  6. does a mounted volume use disk space on the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does a mounted volume use disk space on the hard drive?: I have a Box mounted volume. Does this also use space on my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-a-mounted-volume-use-disk-space-on-the-hard/42917f1c-32f3-49eb-97ae-018f643d3546
  7. does a mounted volume use disk space on the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Enable / Disable Windows Auto Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Enable / Disable Windows Auto Updates: Hello,Reading the tutorial on you site "Enable / Disable Auto Updates for Windows....", I decided to use (as on option 7), the "WAU Manager".Till now I disabled the updates in the "Task Manager" by disabling the win update service. (But cannot postpone the updates any...
  9. Enable or Disable Automount of New Disks and Drives in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automount of New Disks and Drives in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Automount of New Disks and Drives in Windows How to Enable or Disable Automatic Mounting of New Disks and Drives in Windows Automount is enabled by default in Windows. When enabled, Windows automatically mounts the file system for a new volume...
  10. Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted: [img] You can see from the image above that random drives get drive letters assigned to them for no reason. In addition to that, I can't even remove the drive letters, unless I use diskpart, but then that doesn't stick between reboots. Any ideas? 41103