Windows 10: How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Hibernation allows you to save the state of the computer without losing any unsaved […] This article How to Enable or Disable Hibernation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Feb 11, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10

WinClub, Feb 11, 2021

2. Windows 10 gets stuck booting with some laptop configurations if hibernation is enabled. Please make it easy to disable hibernation

Open Administrator Command Prompt:

• powercfg /H OFF <-- this will eliminate all hibernation types
    • powercfg /H REDUCED <-- this allows for a smaller hiberfil.sys, which only allows for Fast Startup.
    • powercfg /H /? <-- explains options
    powercfg /h /?

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE <ON|OFF>
    POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /SIZE <PERCENT_SIZE>
    POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE <REDUCED|FULL>
    Alias:

POWERCFG /H
    Description:

Enables/disables the hibernate feature or sets the hiberfile size.
    Parameter List:

<ON|OFF> Enables/disables the hibernate feature.
    /SIZE <PERCENT_SIZE> Specifies the desired hiberfile size as a percentage

of the total memory size. The default size cannot be

smaller than 40. This parameter will also cause

hibernate to be enabled.
    /TYPE <REDUCED|FULL> Specifies the desired hiberfile type. A reduced

hiberfile only supports hiberboot.
    Examples:

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE OFF
    POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /SIZE 100
    POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE REDUCED

Also, in Settings - Power & sleep - Additional power settings you can
    Choose what the power button does

There you can uncheck Turn on fast startup. That might eliminate this issue without disabling hibernation, if full hibernation actually still works well for you. You may just have one hardware component that is not resuming from sleep state
    properly, but that can be hard to track down.

How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 b3a6996f-54df-4af2-8b27-b090ff122a23.png

Don Cuthbert, Feb 11, 2021
  3. Sleep and hibernate command line

There are two terms which are close but different, at least I look at them differently

There is the BIOS fast, quick, speedy boot and as far as I know the only way to change that setting is to enter BIOS and make the change.

There is Windows Fast Start Up and that is something you can change in Windows. If you disable hibernation using the
    powercfg -h off
    command it, by default, disables Windows Fast Start Up. If you issue command powercfg -h on to re-enable it will turn hibernation back on and assuming you have not changed Fast Startup it will re-enable. If that is how you disable Fast Startup, and we are talking about same "Fast" they enabling hibernation will enable it.

You can can also control Windows Fast Startup manually with this tutorial.

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

If you shut Windows Fast Startup off this way you can continue to use hibernation as a power setting.

I'm unaware of a command line that changes the state of Windows Fast Startup. I'm sure if it was readily known Shawn would have included in tutorial.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 11, 2021
  4. Naki Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 :)

Thema:

1. How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Hibernation

2. Is there a command line command to enable/disable: Activate Window by hovering over it with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a command line command to enable/disable: Activate Window by hovering over it with...: Most of the time I like to use the option in MS Windows 11: Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.Sometimes I want to temporarily disable this option because it is annoying. Now I'm looking for a way to do this quickly.For example with a command line command or...
  3. Is there a command line command to enable/disable: Activate Window by hovering over it with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a command line command to enable/disable: Activate Window by hovering over it with...: Most of the time I like to use the option in MS Windows 11: Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.Sometimes I want to temporarily disable this option because it is annoying. Now I'm looking for a way to do this quickly.For example with a command line command or...
  4. How to enable Windows 10 fast startup using the command line

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to enable Windows 10 fast startup using the command line: How to open Fast Startup and Hibernate through the windows command line https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-windows-10-fast-startup-using-the/133660f7-cf7e-454d-b3bf-398b2e7ab396
  5. How to change Sleep Timeout using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Sleep Timeout using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10: [ATTACH]One of the most annoying features in Windows 10 for desktop computers is the […] This article How to change Sleep Timeout using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Disable Ask for Password on Screen wakeup using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Disable Ask for Password on Screen wakeup using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Imagine a situation where you have just put the lid down of your laptop, […] This article Disable Ask for Password on Screen wakeup using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. How to change the Power Plan type using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Power Plan type using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Power Plan is an important part of your computer, especially if it’s a laptop […] This article How to change the Power Plan type using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. How to set Monitor Timeout using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to set Monitor Timeout using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10: [ATTACH]While Windows settings allow you to change monitor timeout, so it turns off when […] This article How to set Monitor Timeout using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Most useful commands for PowerCFG command line

in Windows 10 News
    Most useful commands for PowerCFG command line: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Power Configuration or powercfg.exe is a command-line tool in Windows which allows you to configure power system settings. It is especially useful for laptops which run on battery and will enable you to configure hardware-specific configurations which are...
  10. how to disable / enable devices using command line in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to disable / enable devices using command line in Windows 10: Hello friends, Prior to updating to 1803 my headphones/laptop speakers were working just fine. When I connect my USB headphones, audio automatically redirected to headphones but not any more (after updating to 1803). Now, I need to manually disable speakers after connecting...