Windows 10: How to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10

Discus and support How to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; One important difference to note between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the specific device on which it was set up, and can ONLY... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 7, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10

One important difference to note between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the specific device on which it was set up, and can ONLY be used to access that specific Windows 10 device. If you forgot your PIN, you can reset it. If you have a Microsoft account with a PIN, you can reset the PIN at sign-in. In this post, we will show you how to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10.

How to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10 Enable-or-Disable-PIN-Reset-at-Sign-in-screen.jpg

If you disable PIN reset at sign-in, it will remove the I forgot my PIN link on the sign-in screen for all Microsoft accounts on the PC.

How to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable PIN reset at sign-in.

Since this is a registry operation, it is recommended that you back up the registry or create a system restore point as necessary precautionary measures.

To enable (default setting) PIN Reset at Sign-in screen in Windows 10, do the following:

• Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
    • In the Run dialog box, type notepad and hit Enter to open Notepad.
    • Copy and paste the code below into the text editor.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\NgcPin]
    "EnablePinReset"=dword:0000000f
    • Now, click the File option from the menu and select Save As button.
    • Choose a location (preferably desktop) where you want to save the file.
    • Enter a name with .reg extension (eg; EnableResetPIN.reg).
    • Choose All Files from the Save as type drop-down list.
    • Double-click the saved .reg file to merge it.
    • If prompted, click on Run > Yes (UAC) > Yes > OK to approve the merge.
    • You can now delete the .reg file if you like.

To disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen in Windows 10, do the following:

• Open Notepad.
    • Copy and paste the code below into the text editor.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\NgcPin]
    "EnablePinReset"=dword:00000000
    • Repeat the same steps as above, but this time save the reg file as DisableResetPIN.reg.

That’s it on how to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10!

Related post: How to remove PIN login in Windows 10.

How to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10 Enable-or-Disable-PIN-Reset-at-Sign-in-screen.jpg
    This article How to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 7, 2021

2. Disable Sign In PIN

Hi I'm Peter an independent advisor, if you want to disable Windows 10 PIN sign in option, you can do it in this way.

Step 1: Press Windows and R key on the keyboard and enter gpedit.msc on Run open box. Then, press Enter or click the OK button to access Local Group Policy Editor.

run gpedit.msc

Step 2: In this interface, access Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Systems > Logon > Turn on PIN sign-in.

turn on PIN sign in option

Step 3: Double click Turn on PIN sign-in, and set this option to Disabled. Then click OK and Apply button. After that, the PIN sign in option is disabled.

PeterFlynn4, May 7, 2021
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Windows 10 PIN Sign-in

Hi Pat,

It is possible that the PIN set in an earlier build does not work after reinstalling Windows 10. To better assist you, we'd like clarify few things:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 is installed on your computer?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using before reinstalling Windows?
    • Have you tried resetting your PIN?
    • Did you get any error messages after you verified the PIN you entered?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how you can reset your PIN.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, May 7, 2021
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Can't reset my PIN

Hi SQxAe,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Were there any changes made to the operating system recently?
    2. Is the system connected with Wired or wireless connection?

If you are using wireless connection, I suggest you to plug in to the Ethernet cable and try entering the password. I also suggest you to change the Microsoft password by login to
    login.live.com from other device. Try entering the password through
    on-screen keyboard.

I also suggest you to enable build-in admin account using command prompt from WinRE, follow the below steps, and check if that helps.

Step: Enable built-in admin from WinRE.

1. On the login screen click on the power button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
    2. Hold Shift key and click on restart.
    3. Click on Troubleshoot.
    4. Click on Advanced options.
    5. Click on Command Prompt.
    6. Type the command net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter key.
    7. Once logged in to the built in admin account, try changing the current user account password.

If you are unable to change the password for the account, I suggest you to create a new user account. Follow the steps from the article to create a new user account

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

I also suggest you to refer this article on
    PIN sign-in issues
    , and check if that helps.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, May 7, 2021
Thema:

1. How to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable PIN

2. Pin sign in disabled. How to reset

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Pin sign in disabled. How to reset: How to reinstall pin sign in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-sign-in-disabled-how-to-reset/1cc88abe-0f6a-4a22-8d56-99142e25419e
  3. Pin sign in disabled. How to reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin sign in disabled. How to reset: How to reinstall pin sign in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-sign-in-disabled-how-to-reset/1cc88abe-0f6a-4a22-8d56-99142e25419e
  4. Pin sign in disabled. How to reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PIN Sign In Enabled but Settings shows it as disabled

PIN Sign In Enabled but Settings shows it as disabled: Hey,So since a reset a while back, I've had this issue where Windows Settings shows that I don't have a PIN set however it prompts me for my PIN on sign in - and if I try and add a PIN it will ask me to enter my current PIN to confirm then close without asking for a new...
  6. PIN Sign In Enabled but Settings shows it as disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PIN Sign In Enabled but Settings shows it as disabled: Hey,So since a reset a while back, I've had this issue where Windows Settings shows that I don't have a PIN set however it prompts me for my PIN on sign in - and if I try and add a PIN it will ask me to enter my current PIN to confirm then close without asking for a new...
  7. PIN Sign In Enabled but Settings shows it as disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to disable PIN sign-in in Windows 10?

How to disable PIN sign-in in Windows 10?: I installed Windows 10 on my new laptop yesterday. During the setup it asked for a PIN, and I set one. A PIN is the default way for me to login right now.Now I would like to disable it and require a password. So I go to Settings->Accounts->Sign-in options.I go to Windows...
  9. Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to...
  10. Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in with PIN to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in with PIN to Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in with PIN to Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services....