Windows 10: How to enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10

Discus and support How to enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you want to enable or disable SMBv2 on your Windows 10 device then this guide will help you do so. But before that, let’s know a brief introduction... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 1, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10

If you want to enable or disable SMBv2 on your Windows 10 device then this guide will help you do so. But before that, let’s know a brief introduction about this application, however, if you are already familiar with this application, you can directly go to the below section and use the steps to proceed.

SMB (Server Message Block) is a network file sharing protocol that is actually designed for data sharing across computer devices like files, printers, and more. On the SMB client and in computer networking, there are currently three versions that are supported by Windows 10. These are SMB version 1 (SMBv1), SMB version 2 (SMBv2), and SMB version 3 (SMBv3) – in which SMBv1 is the original implementation of SMB. However, SMB2 is a new version of the old Server Message Block communication protocol and this one is more secure. The latest version of the SMBv3

To enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10, follow the below suggestions. If you’re going to enable the SMBv2 file transfer protocol on your computer, you first need to check whether your system can install it or not.

To do so, open the Power User Menu using the Windows+X keyboard shortcut

Select Windows PowerShell (Admin) from the menu list.

If the UAC prompt asks you for your approval, click yes and the PowerShell prompt will open.

On the next screen, type the following command and press Enter:

Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB2Protocol

How to enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10 How-to-detect-SMBv2-in-Windows-10.png

If the above command runs successfully, it means your computer is able to install SMB2. So proceeding with it, now you can enable this feature by running a simple command.

To do this, type the following command and press Enter to enable it:

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $true

How to enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10 How-to-enable-or-disable-SMBv2-in-Windows-10.png

Now you will be asked to confirm whether you really want to perform this action. So, press Y and hit Enter. And this will enable the SMB2 protocol on your computer.

Read: How to check SMB version on Windows 10.

In case the SMB2 protocol is already enabled on your system and now you want to disable it then all you need to run the following command in the elevated PowerShell window:

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $false

Once you run the above command successfully, press Y and hit Enter.

After performing the above process, now SMB2 protocol is disabled on your computer.

Disable SMBv2 or SMBv3 for troubleshooting in Windows 10

If both SMBv2 and SMBv3 protocols are already enabled, then it would be helpful for troubleshooting if you disable anyone for a while. However, there are also some consequences of disabling these protocols. It can deactivate the following functionality:

• Transparent Failover – clients reconnect without interruption to cluster nodes during maintenance or failover
    • Scale Out – concurrent access to shared data on all file cluster nodes
    • Multichannel – aggregation of network bandwidth and fault tolerance if multiple paths are available between client and server
    • SMB Direct – adds RDMA networking support for very high performance, with low latency and low CPU utilization
    • Encryption – Provides end-to-end encryption and protects from eavesdropping on untrustworthy networks
    • Directory Leasing – Improves application response times in branch offices through caching
    • Performance Optimizations – optimizations for small random read/write I/O.

Related: How to disable SMB1 on Windows 10

How to enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10 How-to-enable-or-disable-SMBv2-in-Windows-10.png
    This article How to enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Jun 1, 2021

2. Is there an easy way to activate SMBv2 or v3 on windows 10?

Hi Bill,

By default, the Server Message Block is enabled in Windows 10 devices. However, if SMB is disabled, running commands in PowerShell can enable it. For us to provide an effective solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows 10 is installed on your device?
    • Are you using a Windows Server?
    • Is the device connected to a domain network?

In the meantime, you can check this link. It serves as a guide on how to
    detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows and Windows Server.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Darleen Pen, Jun 1, 2021
  3. Guest access disabled - Why is it necessary to enable to access SMBv2 NAS?

Hello.

Since this is the files, folders and storage forum, I hope someone can help me.

As most of you know, since windows 10 build 1709, "Guest Access in SMBv2" is disabled by default. When this happened the only way I had to regain network access to my NAS was by modifying the policy "Computer configuration\Admin. Templates\Network\Lanman
    Workstation\Enable insecure guest logons". It has been working until I completed the upgrade to windows 10 2004 build.

Couldn't access to the NAS even with the mentioned setting. As a workaround, I was able to edit the registry

"Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\allowinsecureguestacess".

So now I have access again.

Nevertheless there are some things I don't understand:

- even when I installed smbv1 (windows features) I couln't connect to the NAS, a linux client could, using SMB1

- removed SMB1. Checked with Wireshark and my windows tried to connect via SMBv2 protocol. So, why would I need "Guest access" if my NAs only admits authenticated users?

- Before the registry workaround, I configured SMBv2 access to a linux server and my windows could connect after being asked for user/password.

So, why my windows rejected the connection to the NAS, without even asking for credentials?

Thanks and regards.

Dave

Dave_Carvalho, Jun 1, 2021
  4. tracit99 Win User

tracit99, Jun 1, 2021
Thema:

1. How to enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - enable disable SMBv2

2. How to enable or disable Feedback Notification in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Feedback Notification in Windows 10: Microsoft asks you for feedback. This way, it can improve its services and optimize the Operating System for you. However, Feedback Notifications can be annoying. Therefore, in this article, we are going to see how to enable or disable Feedback Notification in Windows 10....
  3. How to Enable or Disable Automatic Learning in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Automatic Learning in Windows 10: Microsoft along with many other tech giants is trying to make Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning adjust according to the user. Be its speech recognition, Automatic Learning, etc. Microsoft is trying to embed as many features in their Windows OS as they can....
  4. How to Enable or Disable Tablet Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Tablet Mode in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows 10 is not just an operating system that is designed solely for desktops […] This article How to Enable or Disable Tablet Mode in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. How to enable or disable Hardware Virtualization in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Hardware Virtualization in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Hardware Virtualization, also called Platform, Server virtualization is the virtualization of computers as complete […] This article How to enable or disable Hardware Virtualization in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Guest access disabled - Why is it necessary to enable to access SMBv2 NAS?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Guest access disabled - Why is it necessary to enable to access SMBv2 NAS?: Hello. Since this is the files, folders and storage forum, I hope someone can help me. As most of you know, since windows 10 build 1709, "Guest Access in SMBv2" is disabled by default. When this happened the only way I had to regain network access to my NAS was by modifying...
  7. Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled

Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled: We all know about how people at microsoft make smbv1 mandatory to share folder across a local network, which exposes us to ransomwares. people at Microsoft have no concerns for security, despite being in IT business for the last 30 years.... in windows 10 , like 1809, the...
  8. How To Get Smbv2

How To Get Smbv2: Just got my Nighthawk Gateway/router, hook up my HHD to router, when into windows 10 pro, and it wouldn't show up. I did everything, until one of the artilcles were talking about Smb v1 and I found it under Window Programs. They said check it, I did and now it shows up. The...
  9. How to enable or disable SwiftKey suggestions in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable SwiftKey suggestions in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Microsoft acquired SwiftKey a few years back. This was then rolled out for iOS and Android versions earlier this year. The good news is that it has now been seamlessly integrated with Windows. Starting with Windows 10 1809, you can [...] This post How to enable or...
  10. How to Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows 10: [IMG] Booting the computer system involves loading an operating system from the various boot devices like drivers, network, and USB drives when the computer is switched on. Once the startup sequence finishes loading the operating system, the system hardware will be [...]...