Windows 10: How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top

Discus and support How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If you want to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag the window to the top in Windows 11, here is how you can do that. This feature is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Sep 24, 2022.

1. WinClub New Member

How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top

WinClub, Sep 24, 2022
  2. FableT Win User

Why can't I drag maximized windows with snap disabled

I have my system set up in a three monitor environment. I was forced to disable the snap because of the extremely frustrating handling of "sticky edges" between each screen. Recently, I have noticed that I am not longer able to drag a maximized window,
    but first have to unmaximized my windows before I can drag them to a new position. This is a gigantic inconvenience.

I checked my HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Control Panel > Desktop > DragFromMaximize setting. It is set to 1 which should be the appropriate setting to allow me to complete this action.

Further searches indicate that this is somehow tied to having the snap feature disabled, but I was unable to find suggestions on how to set my preferences and/or registry settings to either make the drag maximized window behavior work with snap disabled
    or apply a different set of settings that would allow me to leave snap enabled but disable sticky edges.

Move from: [ Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings ]

FableT, Sep 24, 2022
  3. How to: Use Snap Layouts and Snap groups in Windows 11

Windows 11 comes with a lot of multi-tasking improvements, one of the best ones is Snap layouts and Snap groups. This article discusses how to use Snap Layouts and Snap groups in Windows 11.

How to use Snap Layouts in Windows 11

How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top [​IMG]

Snap layouts in action - Picture credits https://blogs.windows.com/

The new Snap layouts feature focus is to increase user's productivity, which helps to arrange or snap the apps logically on the screen according to the user choice. This is particularly helpful when the user has a bigger, or widescreen, and has multiple applications open as per the requirement. To invoke snap layouts, on the active Window, either press Windows key+Z or hover over the maximize button. In the earlier releases of Windows, the user had to drag the app to the edge of the screen to activate the snapping feature.

On traditional displays, you would see four layout choices and for ultrawide screens, you would see six layout choices.

How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top 5e34f79a-a6fd-4966-af48-1a56317d4753?upload=true.png

To choose the location of the app, simply click the mouse button in the desired layout to snap the first active app on that part of the screen. When the first app is snapped, snap assist would show up, asking you to select the app you want to snap on the second layout. After the second, select the app for 3rd layout(if you selected that layout) and so on.

How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top 13a8adac-3dc2-407b-825a-3804165098d4?upload=true.png

(In the Picture - snap assist on the right when Hyper-V is snapped on the left)

Snap groups:

So after using Snap groups to snap your work apps, let us say you want to take a break, and want to use Focus sessions on the Clock app. This is where the snap group feature comes in handy. You can pick up where you left them off and can open the layout with a single click. In the taskbar, it shows the title as Group.

How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top 089b3527-1b3e-41cd-89b4-04c3e1d645a3?upload=true.png

Snap Group having 2 apps grouped

To summarize, Snap groups remember the layouts used when multiple apps have been snapped mutually into a group using the Snap Layouts feature so that you can quickly resume where you left off.

Coming Soon

In the Windows Insider Builds 22557+, Microsoft has introduced a new way to invoke Snap layouts. Just drag a window to the top of the screen to reveal the snap layouts, drop the window on top of a zone to snap it, and use snap assist to finish building your layout.

How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top 3833deb8-e3f6-456b-a2ff-35d889505b99?upload=true.gif

How to turn off Snap Flyouts

In case this feature is not relevant to you, Microsoft has also provided an option in Windows 11 to turn off specific settings related to Snapping in the Settings app. To turn off Snap layouts:

1. Open Settings>System.
    2. Navigate to Multi-tasking.
    3. Turn off the settings you like, under snapping.

How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top c59606d3-3543-4332-a6ab-1d547182f259?upload=true.png

Also read:

Sumit (Volunteer Moderator), Sep 24, 2022
  4. How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top

Disabling Snap

I would like to disable snap.

Snap windows is turned off, but still after idle time (even short), the operating system automatically drags all open windows to the top left corner of my screen and shrinks them.

What should I do?

Thanks,

Efrat

EfratNakash, Sep 24, 2022
Thema:

How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top

1. How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top - Similar Threads - enable disable Snap

2. How to disable snap back when dragging a scroll bar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable snap back when dragging a scroll bar?: When clicking and dragging on a scroll bar in Windows Edge, or Windows Explorer, possibly other apps as well there is an invisible zone that is a few pixels wide on either side of the scroll bar. If you drag the bar up or down and move the cursor too far to the left or right...
  3. How to disable snap back when dragging a scroll bar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable snap back when dragging a scroll bar?: When clicking and dragging on a scroll bar in Windows Edge, or Windows Explorer, possibly other apps as well there is an invisible zone that is a few pixels wide on either side of the scroll bar. If you drag the bar up or down and move the cursor too far to the left or right...
  4. Snap layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snap layout: Hi - Is it possible to customize the snap layout? E.g., there is a four squares layout, I'd like to have 9 squares. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-layout/84eb9f9a-a1a5-403a-9516-c29373f6f2f1
  5. Snap layout

Snap layout: Hi - Is it possible to customize the snap layout? E.g., there is a four squares layout, I'd like to have 9 squares. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-layout/84eb9f9a-a1a5-403a-9516-c29373f6f2f1
  6. Problem with snap Layouts layouts that you see when you over over the maximise screen button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with snap Layouts layouts that you see when you over over the maximise screen button: Here you can see 6 snap layouts but in my window, I can see only 4, this does not happen with notepad only, it happens with all the Microsoft apps. Let me attach another pic of google chrome see below notepad screenshotsee the difference, So my question is how to unlock all...
  7. Problem with snap Layouts layouts that you see when you over over the maximise screen button

Problem with snap Layouts layouts that you see when you over over the maximise screen button: Here you can see 6 snap layouts but in my window, I can see only 4, this does not happen with notepad only, it happens with all the Microsoft apps. Let me attach another pic of google chrome see below notepad screenshotsee the difference, So my question is how to unlock all...
  8. How to enable or disable Snap Layouts on Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Snap Layouts on Windows 11: [IMG]In this article, we will explain how you can enable or disable the Snap Layouts on Windows 11. Microsoft never stays behind the technological need of evolving world. Multitasking and increase work management raised the need of using multiple Windows simultaneously. Snap...
  9. Disabling Mouse drag snap but keeping Keyboard shortcuts snap

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling Mouse drag snap but keeping Keyboard shortcuts snap: I have been trying to find a solution to this but have come up with nothing. I am having trouble with resizing windows with the mouse, where it automatically either maximises or snaps to one side when it is not my intention. I want to disable this, but the two options I...
  10. How to disable snap assist (when dragging a window it automatically puts it on full screen).

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable snap assist (when dragging a window it automatically puts it on full screen).: I know snap assist can be handy when dragging a window onto your second screen where it expands to full screen automatically. However, if I just want to adjust a window by a few centimeters it expands on the main screen. When I begin dragging (no matter how little I move) a...