Windows 10: How to Enable or Disable Sound Output Device in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Enable or Disable Sound Output Device in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In Windows 10, the default audio output device is the device that Windows uses to play sound – this can be speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 14, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to Enable or Disable Sound Output Device in Windows 10

In Windows 10, the default audio output device is the device that Windows uses to play sound – this can be speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or other audio devices connected or built-in to the PC. In this post, we will show you how to enable or disable Sound Output Device in Windows 10. Enable or […]

This article How to Enable or Disable Sound Output Device in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 14, 2021
  2. paulpv Win User

Disabling Audio input/output (Microphone/Speaker/etc) in Device Manager does not disable device in Sound Control Panel or stop audio...oh my!

In Windows 10 (1803 build 17134.228), I open both "Device Manager" (devmgmt.msc) and the "Sound Control Panel" (mmsys.cpl).

Both Device Manager and the Sound Control Panel show the same audio input/output devices.

ex: "Speakers" and "Microphone".

This is good!

In Device Manager, I disable "Speakers", which continues to show up and has an icon showing it is disabled.

In Sound Control Panel, "Speakers" still shows up and *is not disabled*!

When I play a sound through the [disabled in Device Manager] Speakers, I can still hear the audio!

This is horrible!

In Device Manager, I re-enable "Speakers".

In Sound Control Panel, I disable "Speakers".

In Device Manager, "Speakers" disappears as an Audio output device.

Audio correctly cannot be heard.

This is good!

In summary:

1. Why does disabling "Speakers" in "Device Manager" not stop audio coming out of them?
    2. What does disabling "Speakers" in "Device Manager" actually do?
    3. Why is disabling Speakers in Device Manager different than disabling Speakers in Sound Control Panel?

Now for the real meat: I am trying to disable/enable the Audio input/output device...

...the way that the Sound Control Panel does...

...but programmatically (PowerShell, C#, C...whatever works).

There are many of examples of how to disable/enable a device that involve "devcon.exe disable/enable", "Get-PnpDevice | Disable/Enable-PnpDevice", and "Get-Device | Disable/Enable-Device".

All of these result in the device being disabled in the Device Manager, and exhibiting the above undesirable behavior; the audio devices still show up in Sound Control Panel and are usable. How to Enable or Disable Sound Output Device in Windows 10 :(

I also have tried the Registry hack (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\{GUID} DeviceState=1 or 10000001), but that seems to be a cosmetic hack only and doesn't actually force close any open devices or prevent new opens.

So I'll add another question:

1. How can I programmatically disable/enable and audio device to have the same effect as doing it in Sound Control Panel?

And no; UI automation of the Sound Control Panel is not an acceptable answer.

I am looking for an actual API that can be called in the background, not a horrible UI hack that requires being in the foreground.

Thanks!

Pv

paulpv, Apr 14, 2021
  3. Re-enable audio device

Hi,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I would need little information on the issue.

• Are using speakers / head phones to listen to audio?
    If you have disabled the audio device, then you might not see it under the list of playback devices. I would suggest you to follow these steps to make sure you see the disabled devices:

• Open
        Control panel

• Click Hardware and Sound and then Click on
        Sounds.

• Under Playback tab, right click on the empty area and make sure
        “Show Disabled Devices” has a check mark on it. If headphones/Speakers are disabled, it will now show up in the list.

• Right click on the device and
        Enable it. Click OK.
    If the issue still persists, try enabling speakers automatically using steps below.

• Go to Settings> Click on themes> Advance sound settings> right click on the speakers or the audio device youo have connected > click on
      Configure device.

• Test the sound level you want, click Next.

• And configure the audio devices.

Hope this helps you. Do reply if you need further assistance on Windows 10.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Apr 14, 2021
  4. How to Enable or Disable Sound Output Device in Windows 10

Disabled motherboard audio device disappears from sound configuration

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with enabling and disabling the sound drivers, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to try the below steps to Update the driver
    and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Under Sound, video and game controller, right click on the driver and click on
      Update the driver software.

• Click on Browse my computer for driver software, click on
      Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

• Follow the Onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

How to Enable or Disable Sound Output Device in Windows 10

1. How to Enable or Disable Sound Output Device in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Sound

2. How to enable sound output to multiple devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable sound output to multiple devices: I have two devices normal speakers and a usb c rodecaster pro. I'd like to output the sound to both devices at once. I'm finding a lot of guides on how to do it in Windows 10, but those setting-screens are missing in Windows 11.So: how do i output all sounds to two devices at...
  3. How to enable sound output to multiple devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable sound output to multiple devices: I have two devices normal speakers and a usb c rodecaster pro. I'd like to output the sound to both devices at once. I'm finding a lot of guides on how to do it in Windows 10, but those setting-screens are missing in Windows 11.So: how do i output all sounds to two devices at...
  4. How to change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10: When you connect speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or other audio devices to your PC, you can select which device you want to use by default. In this post, we will show you how to change default Sound Output Device in Windows 10. Change Default Sound Output Device We...
  5. my output device keeps getting enabled and disabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my output device keeps getting enabled and disabled: it suddenly happened and wouldn't stop even after i restarted my device video of it happening: https://youtu.be/I4el1FiahkU https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-output-device-keeps-getting-enabled-and/55a34294-33d8-43fc-87f1-a808859ec660
  6. No Sound No Output device

No Sound No Output device: Running 19042.746 on a ASUS 2n1 computer. I believe this started 1 or 2 updates ago. I have no sound from the speakers or earphones with "the hardware device is not connected to the computer Code45" and "No output devices found" no pull down for choice. Device manager does...
  7. How do you re-enable an audio output device after disabling it in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you re-enable an audio output device after disabling it in Windows 10?: Hello! I wanted to extend my laptop screen via an HDMI cable to watch a movie on my TV, while still playing the audio from my laptop. To do this, I disabled the TV's audio in "Manage sound devices" in Windows 10, which made the audio play from my laptop while the movie played...
  8. No audio output device is enabled

No audio output device is enabled: What does 'No audio output device is enabled' mean and how can it be fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/no-audio-output-device-is-enabled/5dbb4804-638c-4eb1-b874-91d978177333
  9. Enable or Disable a Sound Output Device in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable a Sound Output Device in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable a Sound Output Device in Windows How to Enable or Disable a Sound Output Device in Windows The default audio playback device is the device that Windows uses to output (play) sound. This can be speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or...
  10. Is there a Regedit to Disable/Enable a specific sound device?

Is there a Regedit to Disable/Enable a specific sound device?: I just got the Logitech G933 headset and I love it for the most part. One really annoying thing is that it seems everytime I boot my computer, to get my headset to work on Windows 10, I need to Disable/Enable my headset through the Recording devices area of the Control Panel....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. window disable output audio jack programmatically