Windows 10: How to enable the built-in microphone when I plug in my headset

Discus and support How to enable the built-in microphone when I plug in my headset in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, I have a headset that has two output jacks. One for the microphone and one for the speakers. I want to use my laptop's built-in microphone instead... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OmSanti, Mar 21, 2019.

1. OmSanti Win User

How to enable the built-in microphone when I plug in my headset

So, I have a headset that has two output jacks. One for the microphone and one for the speakers. I want to use my laptop's built-in microphone instead of the headset's. I can't seem to be able to find a way to do that. I have searched on the web, tried to fiddle around with the recording devices but nothing works. Once I plug in my headset and select the Headset option from the MaxxAudio Pro prompt the laptop's mic stops working. If there is a way to use my headset's microphone I am ok with that but it doesn't seem to work. Thank you for your support! I have windows 10 and Dell Inspiron 15 3000

:)

OmSanti, Mar 21, 2019
  2. Luke06426 Win User

SurfaceBook built in microphone

All

SB had issue (twice now) where the Realtek built-in microphone didn't work when I was skyped. Rather than shutting down and rebooting the whole SB, I tried in Sound/Properties to disable the device so I could then enable the device.

But when I disabled, the microphone disappeared completely. Tried reinstalling drivers, uninstalled Realtek drivers, and reinstalled. Bluetooth headset works. Plugged in (3.5 mm) headset works - but not the built in microphone as it doesn't even appear
    in the list.

Called MS tech support, but all they know how to do is read off a script. There last suggestion was to re-install the machine. Sounds like a sledgehammer for a fly solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Luke06426, Mar 21, 2019
  3. Palaven Win User
    Want to Enable Built-In Mic With Headset Connected (Combo Jack)

Ok, I fixed the problem. For anyone reading this in the future let me describe the fix in more detail.

(1) Thank you for the reply. I had already tried those steps. The issue was that the same microphone would appear, whether or not my headset was plugged in, and would always be enabled. There was also no microphone that ever appeared as disabled.

(2) The problem, as is turns out, was that my Sound manager was combining my built-in mic and my headset mic into one icon that I could enable or disable. To fix this, open the Realtek HD Audio Manager. In the upper-right hand corner there is a button
    "Device advanced settings." There are two options: (a) "Tie up the same type of input jacks, i.e., line-in microphone, as an input device." and (b) "Separate all input jacks as independent devices."
    You need to change the option to the second one, separate all input jacks.

(3) Once this option has been changed, you can follow the steps laid out in the response. Now two microphones will show in the Audio Devices, and you enable the one you want and disable the other one.

Palaven, Mar 21, 2019
  4. thiam1 Win User

Laptop switching from headset to built-in microphone on its own.

I did disable the built-in microphone a few times during my initial troubleshooting. But that doesn't force the headset to pick up the sound input function. Even after reboot, I just have no microphone
    at all while sound still comes through the headset.

Thanks.

thiam1, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

1. How to enable the built-in microphone when I plug in my headset - Similar Threads - enable built microphone

2. Headset's built in mic only is recognized when it is plugged into the microphone jack.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headset's built in mic only is recognized when it is plugged into the microphone jack.: When I plug the headset into the headphones jack I can hear audio but cant use my mic, and when I plug it into the mic jack i can use the mic but can't hear anything. Also the drivers for the mic and headphones appear separately in Device Manager when they are plugged into...
  3. Headset's built in mic only is recognized when it is plugged into the microphone jack.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headset's built in mic only is recognized when it is plugged into the microphone jack.: When I plug the headset into the headphones jack I can hear audio but cant use my mic, and when I plug it into the mic jack i can use the mic but can't hear anything. Also the drivers for the mic and headphones appear separately in Device Manager when they are plugged into...
  4. my headset microphone is not plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my headset microphone is not plugged in: I tried:1. updating driver software2. troubleshooting3. reinstalling my micOnly my headset mic is not working, other are working.sorry for bad english...
  5. my headset microphone is not plugged in

my headset microphone is not plugged in: I tried:1. updating driver software2. troubleshooting3. reinstalling my micOnly my headset mic is not working, other are working.sorry for bad english...
  6. my headset microphone is not plugged in

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. how do I enable popup dialog when I plug a jack for microphone and headset? Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I enable popup dialog when I plug a jack for microphone and headset? Windows 11: In Windows 10 when I plug a jack the sistem ask me if it is - headphon - headphone with microphone I update with windows 11 but when I plug a jack nothing appears….where can I enable pop up dialog??Where can I set:- to use headphone whit the microphone of the laptop…?- to use...
  8. how do I enable popup dialog when I plug a jack for microphone and headset? Windows 11

how do I enable popup dialog when I plug a jack for microphone and headset? Windows 11: In Windows 10 when I plug a jack the sistem ask me if it is - headphon - headphone with microphone I update with windows 11 but when I plug a jack nothing appears….where can I enable pop up dialog??Where can I set:- to use headphone whit the microphone of the laptop…?- to use...
  9. How to enable microphone only when external microphone is plugged in?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to enable microphone only when external microphone is plugged in?: When I unplug my external microphone, the built-in microphone activates. When I go into my sound settings and disable the microphone, it disables both the built-in microphone and the external microphone. Is there a way to set up my sound so that I can only have an external...
  10. Headset is plugged in, but headset microphone is not detected as "plugged in" by my...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headset is plugged in, but headset microphone is not detected as "plugged in" by my...: Hello, I've been using a bootcamped Macbook Pro (mid-2014) for Windows and already have the Apple drivers called "Cirrus Logic CS4208 (AB 93)", but have not been able to use the microphone my headset comes with. I can use the internal microphone of my laptop, and my headset...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to enable a headset microphone

2. how to enable headset microphone

3. how to enable microphone on elitebook hp

4. internal microphone disabled when I plug in headphones,
  5. enabling microphone,
  6. how can i enable microphone access,
  7. enable built-in microphone,
  8. enable application to use microphone,
  9. enable my built in microphone,
  10. does this computer have a microphone,
  11. where do i plug my headphones with built in mic,