Windows 10: How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

Discus and support How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I now find, to my great surprise, that I can't type in the Search field at bottom left. The cursor will go there but nothing will happen to it when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Oct 15, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

I now find, to my great surprise, that I can't type in the Search field at bottom left. The cursor will go there but nothing will happen to it when I start typing.

This is amazing. This computer. Endless problems. I have two computer each with win10 and each installed at about the same time. One just trucks along beautifully with almost never a problem and the other one - this one - seems never to be without a problem.

I just posted about a rebooting problem I just fixed today..... and now, half an hour later.... I find this Cortana or Search field thing....

amazing. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?) :)

Any ideas what I could do about it?

:)

abrogard, Oct 15, 2018
  2. Kinnu18 Win User

Cortana and search field not working

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, but the problem itself is I am unable to type anything in Search field. Then how can I do this action " a) Write Troubleshooting in
    the search box and hit enter. "

Please suggest.

Thanks

Kinnu

Kinnu18, Oct 15, 2018
  3. Unable to type in search box or edge URL entry field

Hi,

Are you unable to just type in this fields or are these fields greyed out?

I would suggest you to first check if install all the latest updates available through Windows updates to make sure that you have all the patches. If you have already done this, then I would suggest try these steps and check if it

helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/view-delete-browsing-history-microsoft-edge

Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Oct 15, 2018
  4. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

Cannot write in Edge address field or Cortana search field

Hi,

I'm unable to write in the address field in Microsoft Edge. The only way I can use the browser is to open a new Tab. Click random Bing news item so it loads the webpage and then use the Bing search textbox that is at the top of the page to be able to search
    the internet.

After some more looking around my PC I'm also unable to write using the Windows Search/Cortana next to the Start Menu. Same goes for the new Settings that has replaced Control Panel.

What does *not* work:

1) Microsoft Edge - Address field doesn't work. I can write in text fields the webpages have available

2) Windows Search/Cortana - Cannot write in search text field. But if I click Feedback then I can write in that textbox.

3) Windows Settings - Cannot search any feature. Under programs and features I cannot write in the search field. But if I try to change computer name. Then I can write.

Paste does work so sometimes I use Notepad to do the writing, then copy-paste into Edge address field or Windows Search.

What does works:

1) Internet Explorer 11 - I can write in the address field here

2) Notepad - No issue writing here.

3) Control Panel - I can write in the search here to find various features

I kind of get the feeling it is all the new UWP applications that I'm having an issue with.

Has anybody seen this before? Any help is appreciated.

Here is my setup info:

Acer Aspire 5738ZG

4 RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1607

OS Version 14393.1358

64-Bit

Microsoft Edge 38.14393.1066.0

Moved from Insider

Original title: Cannot write in Edge address field

Britt-MarieAcer, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

1. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?) - Similar Threads - Enable Typing Search

2. How to enable clipboard for password fields?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable clipboard for password fields?: Hi, I want to use Clipboard on password fields, it was active a few update before but now I can not use it. How can I activate it again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-clipboard-for-password-fields/d594d2ff-694a-4fc0-970e-921dc4507d32
  3. How to enable clipboard for password fields?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable clipboard for password fields?: Hi, I want to use Clipboard on password fields, it was active a few update before but now I can not use it. How can I activate it again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-clipboard-for-password-fields/d594d2ff-694a-4fc0-970e-921dc4507d32
  4. Cannot type in search fields, run field, or Mail

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot type in search fields, run field, or Mail: After recovering from an exception error caused by CorsairVBusDriver.sys by first restoring windows, then renaming all occurrences of the file to include .bak at the end, I uninstalled Corsair Utility Engine, dated 2016, and installed the newest iCUE dated 2020. I am unable...
  5. Webpage search field

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Webpage search field: When I type in a search field from any website (google, reddit, yahoo) on either Chrome or Explorer, the suggestions are not highlighted as I scroll through them with the down arrow. Anyone knows a fix for this? submitted by /u/K3N5T3R [link] [comments]...
  6. Explorer Search Field/Folder Search Field is not working/unavailable

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Search Field/Folder Search Field is not working/unavailable: Hello, I am experiencing a weird issue, my Explorer search field/Folder search field seems not working: 1. When I click on it nothing happens, no blinking cursor appears as it should, to input searching query, nothing. 2. When I use combination Ctrl+F, I can input only 1...
  7. Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working

in Cortana
    Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working: I have tried all these suggested fixes and none of them fix either of the two problems. https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/file-explorer-search-not-working.html I am wondering if anyone else had this dual problem? I see there is a Powershell script I can run...
  8. Use Cortana in text fields?

in Cortana
    Use Cortana in text fields?: Hello to the group, I am used to speak text into input fields on my iPad and Android phone, e.g. on WhatsApp. This works very well by now ;-). In Word 365 on Windows 10, speech recognition is now also available. Question: How can I activate speech recognition (microphone...
  9. Windows Search / Cortana Search: After typing a letter an dark field/box or overlay appears

in Cortana
    Windows Search / Cortana Search: After typing a letter an dark field/box or overlay appears: After I click the Cortana symbol left side bottom to activate Cortanas input field and I make any input for searching, a dark field appears. Just on the top of Cortanas menu I see the web results, other field is hidden bei the darkness. The same happens if i click...
  10. search field and cortana wont function

in Windows 10 Support
    search field and cortana wont function: Hi all I installed a new version of Windows 10 pro. The search function and cortana was working fine. My IT person joined the company domain and everything still worked correctly. We did updates and lost the use of the search bar and cortana. The start button works fine...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Enable typing for Cortana

2. typing search in cortana