Windows 10: How to enable Windows 10 to be put to sleep?

Discus and support How to enable Windows 10 to be put to sleep? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'd like to be able to use the Sleep option ["The PC stays on but uses low power. Apps stay open so when the PC wakes up, you're instantly back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oxonsi, Nov 27, 2016.

1. oxonsi Win User

How to enable Windows 10 to be put to sleep?

I'd like to be able to use the Sleep option ["The PC stays on but uses low power. Apps stay open so when the PC wakes up, you're instantly back to where you left off."] in Windows 10. However, when I click on Sleep, the screen goes black, but everything else [case fans, etc.] is still running. If I then move the mouse, the screen comes back on, and if I select Sleep again from the menu, my computer appears to go into a proper sleep. But I don't want Sleep to be a two-step process.

Moreover, my machine also appears to be unable to wake up from sleep. When I press the blinking power button to wake it up from sleep, the screen remains permanently black. The code on the motherboard indicates "System is waking up from S3 sleep state", but it never does wake up. It just stays in that "waking up" state with a black screen. My only recourse is to do a hard reset. Not ideal.

So, how do I enable Windows 10 to go to sleep [with one press of the Sleep option, and to wake up]?

To be clear, in the Power Options control panel, I have selected a custom power plan as my default, and one of the settings in there is "Sleep after: Never". I have it set that way because I don't want my PC to go to sleep by itself, ever. But I do want to be able to tell it to go to sleep. Maybe that's my problem: it can't be set to never sleep, and then be put to sleep? I don't know. It seems like that should be possible, but maybe it isn't?

Otherwise, there may additionally be settings in the BIOS that need to be enabled [or disabled] in order to allow the computer to sleep in the CPU Power Management Configuration. I'm not sure about those.

Thanks for any info / advice.

:)

oxonsi, Nov 27, 2016
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Nov 27, 2016
  3. MD-to-be Win User
    problems with Active Synch 3.7

I have the iPaq h4150

MD-to-be, Nov 27, 2016
  4. How to enable Windows 10 to be put to sleep?

Have you tried right click on start in bottom left hand corner
    As that has a sleep option
    On my laptop mine goes to sleep after an hour of no activity then when I want it woke up I just move my touch button on laptop.
    But mainly I just shut down so little grandson cant play with it, if he wakes up before me

hTconeM9user, Nov 27, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    I can confirm that's not your problem.

See this for some ideas:
    windows 10 sleep problems - Microsoft Community

dalchina, Nov 27, 2016
  6. mc510 Win User
    Weird situation with sleep not working at first, then working on the second try. I have no particular idea about that, but regardless it would probably be worthwhile to run "powercfg -requests" to see if there are devices or processes that are preventing entering sleep.

mc510, Nov 27, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Also the event viewer might give you some ideas.

Event ID 42
    in System log from source Kernel-Power is the sleep event

Event ID 1 in System log from source Power-Troubleshooter = resume

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to enable Windows 10 to be put to sleep?

1. How to enable Windows 10 to be put to sleep? - Similar Threads - enable put sleep

2. How to put apps to Sleep in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to put apps to Sleep in Windows 11/10: [IMG]In this post, we will learn how to put apps to sleep on your Windows 11/10 PC. When your computer is idle, the apps start draining your battery by continuously running in the background. Fortunately, Windows provides several power-saving features, including the Sleep...
  3. How to put Windows 10 to sleep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to put Windows 10 to sleep?: Is there a hack to tell Windows 10 to stay the fu#& asleep at night until maybe 7am. I mean stay asleep. I know how to put Windows to sleep. But there seems to always be some software that wants to go sleep walking and wake the computer at 2am and that is very annoying...
  4. How to enable sleep mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to enable sleep mode: So I was having fan issues on my new Asus Zenbook 14. When I would close the screen, and re open it, the fan would suddenly go off very loudly for no apparent reason. I followed a tutorial to fix a noisy fan, and now for some reason, when I close the laptop and reopen it, it...
  5. How to put HD to sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to put HD to sleep?: Hi, I bought by accident a NAS HD for my desktop internal and it will not go idle sleeping no matter the settings in Windows. Is there a trick to make that happen? option 1: Preferably like after f.e. 15 minutes it goes to sleep and when it is asked for through windows...
  6. Up key puts Windows 10 to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Up key puts Windows 10 to sleep: Hi guys and gals, I got an i7 8565U hp ProBook 650 G5 back in February and I have noticed a weird behavior. At completely random times, when I press the 'up' key several times, to either go up manually or move an object up, the computer goes to sleep. I haven't been able to...
  7. How to enable sleep option

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to enable sleep option: When I trying to enable sleep option in "Power Options", I get "Some settings are managed by your system administrator". This is my PC and I am my administrator myself. How I can remove this limitation, or, at least, enable sleep option for my Windows 10? [ATTACH] I tried...
  8. How to put external harrd drive to sleep in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to put external harrd drive to sleep in Windows 10: Hello, I have external hard drives for data and system backups. I spend most of my time online or sending emails and only occasionally need to open a data file in my external drive. The external drives are spinning away needlessly in the meantime. How can I set my currently...
  9. How to enable Sleep option.

How to enable Sleep option.: i am not able to get a sleep option when i hit the power button in the start menu. also, in power settings, i cant see the option which allows you to put your computer to sleep after the lid shuts down. its like the sleep option no longer exists. >.< * Original title:...
  10. windows 10. No option to put computer to sleep now that hibernate is enabled

windows 10. No option to put computer to sleep now that hibernate is enabled: Same issue as locked thread, had sleep before, but no hibernate, enabled hibernate in usual method, now have hibernate but no sleep.. Tried everything on other locked threads, sleep option is nowhere to be found. Completely stock, brand new HP Spectre 360 15" laptop.......