Windows 10: How to encrypt external hard drive that contains Windows XP installation? Error: "The drive...

Discus and support How to encrypt external hard drive that contains Windows XP installation? Error: "The drive... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an old hard drive with Windows XP installed on it from my old computer. I want to encrypt it using Bitlocker, but there is no option to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JM1999, Apr 14, 2021.

1. JM1999 Win User

How to encrypt external hard drive that contains Windows XP installation? Error: "The drive...

[COLOR=rgba26, 26, 27, 1]
    I have an old hard drive with Windows XP installed on it from my old computer.

I want to encrypt it using Bitlocker, but there is no option to "Encrypt this drive with Bitlocker" or "Manage Bitlocker" etc.

While trying work arounds, I have seen this error message:

"The drive cannot be encrypted because it contains system boot information. Create a seperate partition for use as the system drive that contains the boot information and a second partition for use as the operating system drive and then encrypt the operating system drive."

I tried creating a new blank partition, but that made no difference.

Is there a way to encrypt this hard drive using Bitlocker?

It was encrypted in the past using Bitlocker, but I de-crypted it because I wanted to use the newer XTS-256 encryption.

Now it's been decrypted, it seems impossible to use Bitlocker even though it was previously encrypted without any issues!
    [/COLOR]

:)

JM1999, Apr 14, 2021

2. external drive and encryption?

This question is two-fold.

First I would like an external enclosure that is rugged and shock resistant (static electricity and the like, being winter and all) for a 3.5inch SATA drive.
    Barring that, an external drive with the above. What would you guys recommend?

Also, I was wondering, is there a tool to encrypt the entire hard drive, but that does NOT ask to format said encrypted disk? I tried TrueCrypt, and last time I did, it asked me to format the drive because it was not recognized. I know there are alternatives, but I forgot their names. Price is of no concern if it is able to do so. any suggestions? Does Windows not show "drive must be formatted" on TrueCrypt drives anymore?

Best way would be if I plug in the drive, it asks for password automatically or something...

speedy11131, Apr 14, 2021
  3. External Hard Drive "is not accessible"

Hi Ridhwan,

Sorry for the delayed response. Let me continue to assist you further.

The issue here could have been due to fact that the Drive I:\ is encrypted or a flush drive. This forces the computer to not recognize the format and displays the error message. I suggest here to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key + letter 'X.'
    • Choose 'Disk Management.'
    • Right click on the External drive and select 'Change Drive letter and Path names.'
    • Rename the drive letter i.e. remove letter I and say you replace it with letter
      J.
    • Restart the computer and check the issue status.

Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arvind Ram, Apr 14, 2021
  4. Marc Cai Win User

How to encrypt external hard drive that contains Windows XP installation? Error: "The drive...

Encrypted External Drive that cannot be opened.

Hi Sana,

It is a good idea to use Bitlocker to protect hard drives. Please provide the following needed information:

1. How do you try to access the drive?

2. Do you get any pop-up message when trying to access the drive?

3. Is this an external hard drive?

You can turn off Bitlocker Drive Encryption by following these steps:

• Login as Administrator to your PC.

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, find the volume on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the What level of decryption do you want dialog box, click either
      Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption or Decrypt the volume as needed.

Regards.

Marc Cai, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

1. How to encrypt external hard drive that contains Windows XP installation? Error: "The drive... - Similar Threads - encrypt external hard

2. External hard drive error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive error: I was transferring files to my external HDD LaCie Rugged Mini USB3, and my computer turned off because of an error during the transfer. After I turned it back on, the drive was identified as a Local Drive H:, and I can no longer access the files on it. Now, when the disk is...
  3. External hard drive error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive error: I was transferring files to my external HDD LaCie Rugged Mini USB3, and my computer turned off because of an error during the transfer. After I turned it back on, the drive was identified as a Local Drive H:, and I can no longer access the files on it. Now, when the disk is...
  4. Encrypted External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypted External Hard Drive.: I have External WD Drive that I encrypted, some hove confused with use of BitLocker. I need the data on the drive but can not access it any more. Any help-solution please.Thank you.MD...
  5. Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?: I use bitlocker with my dell xps windows ten laptop. I also use an old chromebook. So I have a one tb external hard drive that i downloaded lot of videos/files on with the chromebook. Thus after a lot of files, i transfer it to my chromebook by copy and pasting it etc since...
  6. Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

in Windows 10 Support
    Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?: I use bitlocker with my dell xps windows ten laptop. I also use an old chromebook. So I have a one tb external hard drive that i downloaded lot of videos/files on with the chromebook. Thus after a lot of files, i transfer it to my chromebook by copy and pasting it etc since...
  7. How to install Windows on an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install Windows on an external hard drive?: My computer is being fixed right now, but I bought a fancy new SSD for it and would like to go ahead with installing windows 10 in it. I have a pen drive with windows' iso in it, a computer with two USB ports, and a case where I can put my SSD. Now, how do I use all these...
  8. Windows Xp booting from external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Xp booting from external hard drive.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Burtonlefty [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/efywhl/windows_xp_booting_from_external_hard_drive/
  9. External hard drive installation

External hard drive installation: I am using Windows 10 and am trying to get my computer recognize my external hard drive via a USB port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-installation/5fbf5c54-03af-4c0a-95aa-c2d0f473c5ec
  10. External Hard Drive Error

External Hard Drive Error: My external hard drive is showing an error. G:\ is not accessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. Does anyone know how to fix it without formatting it? Have a lot of file on there that I'd like to recover if possible. Any advice would be greatly...