Windows 10: How to ensure drive/folder/file permissions are correct?

Discus and support How to ensure drive/folder/file permissions are correct? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have: Drive 1 - SSD (boot) Drive 2 - HDD (storage) Drive 3 - HDD (storage) Drive 4 - External HDD (storage) I have reinstalled Windows... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by King Mustard, Sep 10, 2016.

1. How to ensure drive/folder/file permissions are correct?

I have:

• Drive 1 - SSD (boot)
    • Drive 2 - HDD (storage)
    • Drive 3 - HDD (storage)
    • Drive 4 - External HDD (storage)

I have reinstalled Windows several times over the time I've had drives 2, 3 and 4. I believe the "life" of the drives has spanned from Windows 8, to 8.1 and now to 10.

I have always only been the single user of the PC.

Sometimes, when I try to move files between drives, I get a message stating I need to be an administrator to continue. I can simply click Continue (or OK, I don't quite remember) and it transfers just fine.

How can I ensure drive/folder/file permissions are correct on all of the drives?

:)

King Mustard, Sep 10, 2016

2. "locked" files

I have a specific folder of pictures, that now appears to be locked. Upon clicking the icon, Windows photo viewer opens the following message:

"__filename__

It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again."

Next steps:

1. Set my user as the drive owner, and all sub-folders.

2. Ensured that my user had "Full Control" permissions

tdstone0312, Sep 10, 2016
  3. OneOption0, Sep 10, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

How to ensure drive/folder/file permissions are correct?

The permission is just the uac if you copy files ok then it's set right

Samuria, Sep 10, 2016
  5. I have (and have always had, since the Vista days) UAC completely switched off.

The dialogue is a permission dialogue, not a security one.

Extra information:

How to ensure drive/folder/file permissions are correct? [​IMG]

King Mustard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to ensure drive/folder/file permissions are correct?

1. How to ensure drive/folder/file permissions are correct? - Similar Threads - ensure drive folder

2. File and folder sharing permission.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File and folder sharing permission.: I have a computer network LAN, and I want the computers across my network to have different permission-level access to my shared files for example I want computer A to have read-only permission and computer B to have read and write permission, what should I do?...
  3. File and folder sharing permission.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File and folder sharing permission.: I have a computer network LAN, and I want the computers across my network to have different permission level access to my shared files, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-and-folder-sharing-permission/3642e982-0e8f-4f87-ac6d-54258b8b1ae7
  4. File and folder sharing permission.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File and folder sharing permission.: I have a computer network LAN, and I want the computers across my network to have different permission level access to my shared files, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-and-folder-sharing-permission/3642e982-0e8f-4f87-ac6d-54258b8b1ae7
  5. File & Folder permissions

File & Folder permissions: I have downloaded a game Forza Horizons from the Microsoft store. while trying to find the location of the exe to add to my Dragon Centre app i have unintentionally moved the exe to my desktop. when trying to move it back to the original location it gives me an error...
  6. How to ensure edits to files in folder-a are automatically done to the same files in folder-b?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to ensure edits to files in folder-a are automatically done to the same files in folder-b?: Hi all. On my computer, in folder-a I have several files and folders. With Windows, is it possible to do all of the following: Clone that folder to another location. Ensure that, every time any file/folder is updated inside folder-a, the same edit occurs in folder-b. It...
  7. Files and Folders Permissions Inherited

Files and Folders Permissions Inherited: So with windows 7, if i had an external drive D:\ with read and execute only permissions for user X, and these permission were inherited from the drive D:\ if user X opened the drive, selected a folder on the drive and right clicked, there would be a UAC symbol by DELETE,...
  8. Permission to delete file and folder

Permission to delete file and folder: [IMG]i want to delete an app from my laptop but it requires permission from system and administrator but I can't do it. Please tell me how to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-to-delete-file-and-folder/3d51b993-bd01-4440-8d32-ac348254491d"
  9. How to get full permissions for C drive folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get full permissions for C drive folders?: I have spent a ridiculous amount of time Googling this now, going from forum to forum and am now (understandably, no?) feeling very irritated! *sarc Why on earth do Microsoft design Windows 10 Home Edition so that dialogue boxes come up telling you to contact the system or...
  10. Backup and Restore Permissions of File, Folder, or Drive in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Permissions of File, Folder, or Drive in Windows: How to: Backup and Restore Permissions of File, Folder, or Drive in Windows How to Backup and Restore Permissions of Files, Folders, or Drives in Windows On ReFS volumes, you can set security permissions on files and folders. These permissions grant or deny access to...