Windows 10: How to exclude a folder from being backed up by OneDrive without deleting it

Discus and support How to exclude a folder from being backed up by OneDrive without deleting it in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey there, I've come across this OneDrive problem. When I deselect a folder in the "Manage backup" window on the "Account" tab in the OneDrive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Land Kruzer, Dec 9, 2020.

1. How to exclude a folder from being backed up by OneDrive without deleting it

Hey there, I've come across this OneDrive problem. When I deselect a folder in the "Manage backup" window on the "Account" tab in the OneDrive settings, it says that it'll delete the folder locally but keep it online. I want to keep my folder on the laptop and delete it online. How do I do so?

Even when I go to OneDrive and delete the folder over there, OneDrive automatically backs up the folder again.

Someone please help me.

:)

Land Kruzer, Dec 9, 2020

2. Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude

Settings - Backup Options has lists of folders to back up and folders to exclude. I want NOTHING in either list. But all I can do is ADD to those lists. If I add a folder to EXCLUDE, it goes off backup and appears in EXCLUDE. But that's NOT what
    I want. I just want to delete all folder names from those lists. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete a listed folder. What am I missing? Thanks.

WP51 user even now, Dec 9, 2020
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused How to exclude a folder from being backed up by OneDrive without deleting it :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well How to exclude a folder from being backed up by OneDrive without deleting it :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Dec 9, 2020
  4. How to exclude a folder from being backed up by OneDrive without deleting it

Exclude OneDrive from backup

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will try to provide the assistance that is required to resolve the issue.

I would like to inform that in Windows 10 Sky Drive has converted into One Drive. As per your query, I am led to believe that you wish to remove/exclude OneDrive from the list of backup files. If that is the case follow the steps that are mentioned below
    and check if it helps.

Exclude files from Backup.

1. Open Control Panel by right-clicking on the Start Menu and choosing
    Control Panel. Click or tap System and Security,
    and then tap or click File History.

2. To exclude some folders in your libraries so they do not get backed up, on the left, choose
    Exclude Folders.

3. Choose the file, folder or location that you wish to exclude and click on
    Add.

4. Once you have added the desired file, click the back arrow to get back to the
    File History window.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 9, 2020
Thema:

How to exclude a folder from being backed up by OneDrive without deleting it

1. How to exclude a folder from being backed up by OneDrive without deleting it - Similar Threads - exclude folder being

2. Is there a way to exclude dataset names by pattern from being backed up to OneDrive? Auto...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to exclude dataset names by pattern from being backed up to OneDrive? Auto...: Operating system is windows 10/64bit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-exclude-dataset-names-by-pattern/2ffb03d0-5e01-4e7c-97e8-5ca07a122e6e
  3. Is there a way to exclude dataset names by pattern from being backed up to OneDrive? Auto...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to exclude dataset names by pattern from being backed up to OneDrive? Auto...: Operating system is windows 10/64bit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-exclude-dataset-names-by-pattern/2ffb03d0-5e01-4e7c-97e8-5ca07a122e6e
  4. Is there a way to exclude dataset names by pattern from being backed up to OneDrive? Auto...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to delete OneDrive Documents folder without OneDrive being installed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete OneDrive Documents folder without OneDrive being installed?: OneDrive is not installed Don't want it.I now have two Documents folders.I only want one.I want my [username]/Documents to be the only location that all programs use as a Documents location BUT, there is no Location tab in that folder's Properties. Help me get rid of all...
  6. How to delete OneDrive Documents folder without OneDrive being installed?

How to delete OneDrive Documents folder without OneDrive being installed?: OneDrive is not installed Don't want it.I now have two Documents folders.I only want one.I want my [username]/Documents to be the only location that all programs use as a Documents location BUT, there is no Location tab in that folder's Properties. Help me get rid of all...
  7. Can you exclude particular files from being backed up by OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can you exclude particular files from being backed up by OneDrive?: Because I have one huge extra large video in the phone that I do not wish to be backed up in OneDrive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-exclude-particular-files-from-being-backed/87162bba-5110-49f1-8f41-71da994c8b90
  8. How to stop a specific folder from Desktop from being backed up in Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop a specific folder from Desktop from being backed up in Onedrive?: To be clearer, I do not want Onedrive to stop syncing files to my computer, making them hidden from the File Explorer; I want the opposite. Nor do I want the whole Desktop folder to stop being backed up in Onedrive. I only want one folder from Desktop to stop being uploaded...
  9. How to stop a specific folder from Desktop from being backed up in Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop a specific folder from Desktop from being backed up in Onedrive?: To be clearer, I do not want Onedrive to stop syncing files to my computer, making them hidden from the File Explorer; I want the opposite. Nor do I want the whole Desktop folder to stop being backed up in Onedrive. I only want one folder from Desktop to stop being uploaded...
  10. How to stop a specific folder from Desktop from being backed up in Onedrive?