Windows 10: How to exclude sub folders with specific name from backup

Discus and support How to exclude sub folders with specific name from backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to exclude the node_modules folders from backup. The backup folder has many node_modules subfolders. Are there any methods to exclude... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Michael.Ko, May 21, 2020 at 9:52 PM.

1. How to exclude sub folders with specific name from backup

I would like to exclude the node_modules folders from backup. The backup folder has many node_modules subfolders. Are there any methods to exclude subfolders with specific names?

:)

2. Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude

Settings - Backup Options has lists of folders to back up and folders to exclude. I want NOTHING in either list. But all I can do is ADD to those lists. If I add a folder to EXCLUDE, it goes off backup and appears in EXCLUDE. But that's NOT what
    I want. I just want to delete all folder names from those lists. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete a listed folder. What am I missing? Thanks.

WP51 user even now, May 21, 2020 at 9:53 PM
  3. JBoisve Win User
    Problem with File History in Windows 10

Yes I follow the steps.

As you mentioned, it does not make sense and it does not work for me to add in the exclude list a folder that is in the include list.

Particularly, if I would like to backup a specific sub-folder of a folder that is automatically in the include list.

If I put a folder that is in the automated INCLUDE list in the EXCLUDE section then I won't be able to backup a sub-folder for that particular folder just because the parent folder is in the EXCLUDE list.

4. Rafe Win User

How to exclude sub folders with specific name from backup

Windows File History / Backup - exclude folder by name

In Windows 10 "File History" / Backup (whatever it's called now), is there a way to exclude folders by name? For example, I'd like to exclude all folders named 'bin' from being backed up. Essentially, it would be great to be able to exclude things from file backup like you can do for git using a .gitignore file. Any ideas/suggestions on how to do this?

Thema:

How to exclude sub folders with specific name from backup

1. How to exclude sub folders with specific name from backup - Similar Threads - exclude sub folders

2. Exclude specific network folders from a network search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exclude specific network folders from a network search: Hi, I'm currently on Windows 10 Home 1909 and am wondering how do I exclude specific network folders when I'm frequently doing a search on a networked drive? The drive isn't mapped, just added as a network location shortcut in "This PC". Thanks. 154147
  3. How to use batch file to delete specific sub-folders in a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to use batch file to delete specific sub-folders in a folder?: TL;DR I have a folder, and in it, a new sub-folder is added every day. What commands can I add to a batch file that will keep only the three most recently added sub-folders in this folder? Hi all. On my computer I have a folder named folder-data with several files and...
  4. Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I create a symlink to a folder, but exclude a sub-folder?: TL;DR On COMPUTER-A I have a folder, with several files and sub-folders. COMPUTER-B is on the same network. On COMPUTER-B, can I add a symlink to the folder, but exclude one of the sub-folders? Hi all. I have a question about Windows symlinks. Here is my setup: I have two...
  5. Exclude specific network folders from a network search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude specific network folders from a network search: Hi, I'm currently on Windows 10 Home 1909 and am wondering how do I exclude specific network folders when I'm frequently doing a search on a networked drive? The drive isn't mapped, just added as a network location shortcut in "This PC". Thanks. 154147
  6. Exclude Folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exclude Folder.: Hey guys, I have a folder in my Windoes 10 Explorer that I want to exclude from media scanning, so it won't appear in anywhere except Explorer. Does anybody know how to make the equivalent of .NOMEDIA folder like the one in Android. Thank you very much....
  7. Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup: Hello, I have a quick question about "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" feature on Windows 10. I set up a backup months ago to include a system image and some personal data and everything worked fine. I notice this backup feature tried to backup my game dedicated drive...
  8. Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude

in Windows 10 Customization
    Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude: Settings - Backup Options has lists of folders to back up and folders to exclude. I want NOTHING in either list. But all I can do is ADD to those lists. If I add a folder to EXCLUDE, it goes off backup and appears in EXCLUDE. But that's NOT what I want. I just want to delete...
  9. How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?: I can't backup any specific folders in my Documents folder unless the Documents folder itself is backed up. Otherwise trying to add them does nothing. Adding the Documents folder to the backup list causes my other folders to appear on the list. Why is this? Am I expected to...
  10. Changing Folder Sub-name?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Folder Sub-name?: Ok so I'm a bit of a neat freak? I like to keep things in the right places so I went ahead and created a folder called Software which will keep all of my programs like AIDA64 or Precision X etc.. I was able to get it so that it would show under "This PC"...