Windows 10: How to expand System Reserved partition to accept Windows 10 1709.

Discus and support How to expand System Reserved partition to accept Windows 10 1709. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In an effort to get 1709 update to install, one of the "solutions" that has been suggested is that is should expand my current 100 MB NTFS System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dahermit, Mar 16, 2018.

1. dahermit Win User

How to expand System Reserved partition to accept Windows 10 1709.

In an effort to get 1709 update to install, one of the "solutions" that has been suggested is that is should expand my current 100 MB NTFS System Reserved partition from its current 100 MB to 550 MB ( the cause of the Oxc1900200 error). However, when I research how to expand a partition, I find that it states that there must be unallocated space into which to expand the partition. I have no unallocated space. My drive is as follows:

How to expand System Reserved partition to accept Windows 10 1709. [​IMG]

My current drive is Disk 0.
    I tried taking some of the room (450 MB) on the eMachines (C: ) partition which could be combined with the System Reserved partition to make 550 MB System Reserved. However, when I took some space (450MB) from eMacines (C: ), for a new partition (F: ), the drive crashed, would not boot. I ended-up rescuing it copying a clone to it.

So my question is: How do I make space on my disk 0 so that I can increase the System Reserved partition to accommodate the installation of Windows 10 Pro 1709?

:)

dahermit, Mar 16, 2018

2. Windows 10 "Can't update system reserved partition"

I shrank the main partition to make room to expand the system reserve partition as described above. The unallocated space was ample. However, the disk management tool would not expand the system reserve partition. The expand choice was greyed out for
    the system reserver partition. I saw a could of posts that described command line approaches to do the expansion, but Partition Wizard was simpler and perhaps safer.

Jim Boone 70810, Mar 16, 2018
  3. Windows update reports it couldn't update the system reserved partition

Windows 10 update 1709 continually fails.

"we couldn't update the system reserved partition"

JeanJones2, Mar 16, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

I'd boot my PC from e.g. Minitool Partition Wizard's boot disk.
    Then decide if I needed to keep the manufacturer's recovery partition. If not, delete that, and adjust the other partitions accordingly.
    If I wanted to keep it, then shrink C: and expand the System Reserved partition.

When you say it failed to boot- in what way?
    You might find it tries to run Automatic repair to sort itself out.
    If that doesn't kick in, then boot your PC from Macrium Reflect's boot disk and use its Fix Boot utility.

I wouldn't have two presumably bootable disks in my PC at the same time.

dalchina, Mar 16, 2018
  5. dahermit Win User
    When I ran the Aomei Partition Program's command to do the partition, it ran for 23 hours and then crashed. The disk would not boot, no matter what I tried. It locked-up and I had to shut the power off.

I do not. What you see in the screenshot (Disk 1) is a clone sitting in a USB dock. The power was "on" to the dock when the screenshot was taken. Normally, the power is off and it would not show up in the Drive Management program. For the purpose of this discussion, you can just ignore the existence of Disk 1.

I do not have one of those. I would prefer to use Windows 10 Drive Management system.

How would I know if I wanted to do that...or not? I need more information...not an abstract.

A step-by-step would be helpful. When you give an abstract (a summary), you have a frame of reference in your mind (can envision the steps in what you are saying), I do not.

dahermit, Mar 16, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    That's where you are mistaken. To do this, use a boot disk from a 3rd party partition manager, or use a 3rd party partition manager which will apply the changes when your PC is restarted.

Experts here state they would never attempt to use Disk Management to make changes to Windows partitions.

Read the guide /help for the one you use.
    Using such things is usually a matter of dragging sliders- the picture of the partition boundary.
    It might take a couple of steps.

MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server

It's your choice!!!!
    If you ever want to restore your PC to the state it was in when you bought it, keep it.
    If you don't want to restore your PC to the state it was in when you bought it, delete it.

dalchina, Mar 16, 2018
  7. SIW2 Win User
    1.Shrink your C partition ( from the right) by about 600 mb.
    2.Create a new partition from that unallocated 600mb.
    3.Give your newly created 600mb partition a drive letter, e.g. S.
    4. Give the 100mb partition a drive letter, e.g. Z
    5. Open an elevated command prompt type:
    diskpart
    sel vol z:
    inact
    sel vol s:
    act
    exi
    bcdboot c:\windows /s s:

8. dahermit Win User

Using what program? I assume it has some kind of slider bar?

Right...will name the new partition drivel letter "S".

Will change old 100MB partition (System Reserved) to drive letter "Z".

Right-click the start button, click on "Windows PowerShell (Admin)".

Type "diskpart", hit "enter"?

Type "sel vol z:", hit "enter"?

Type "inact", hit "enter"? (makes vol z: inactive)...Whoa! "vol" z:?! Not "partition" Z:?
    Sets vol s: to active. But there is that "vol" thing again...volume or partition?

I assume you meant "exit"?
    I am sorry, but your instructions are too imprecise to trust. Bad instructions are worse than no instructions at all. I cannot be sure that you know what you are doing...sorry. I don't want to mess up my computer.

dahermit, Mar 17, 2018
  9. dahermit Win User
    How would I know if I wanted to do that...or not? I need more information...not an abstract.

When I bought the computer (refurbished/used/from a reseller), I came with Windows 10 Pro. I have been told that the reason for my partition arrangement (15/100/C: ) is that it was upgraded by the refurbisher to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7. My wife's computer has a 350 MB System Reserve partition, indicating (I was told), that hers was likely upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8. I anticipate that I will have to upgrade Windows Pro, beyond the 1709 build at some time in the future. Therefore, I do not anticipate ever going back to the 15/100/C: arrangement inasmuch as some have told me that 1709 needs more (550MB) than a 100 MB System Reserved partition to operate.

dahermit, Mar 17, 2018
  10. Hi,
    Just use mini tool *Smile
    Reduce the 15gb partition if it has free space.

ThrashZone, Mar 17, 2018
  11. dahermit Win User
    Evidently, it seems too much to expect an explanation (Is a Recovery Partition not needed?) and then a step-by-step process.

dahermit, Mar 17, 2018
  12. dahermit Win User
    Let me start over. How should I partition my drive to be able to install Windows Pro 10 build 1709? That is, what size, what should they be named.

dahermit, Mar 17, 2018
  13. How to expand System Reserved partition to accept Windows 10 1709.

ThrashZone, Mar 17, 2018
  14. SIW2 Win User
    You originally posted
    I have answered that already. You refused to follow instructions.

You later posted:
    If you want to do a clean install from booted media - that is different

15. SIW2 Win User
    A partition is a volume.

Diskpart understands the short versions e.g.:
    sel
    lis
    vol
    act
    inact
    exi
    You can type the words in full if you really want. I do it so often, I just use the short versions.

Thema:

1. How to expand System Reserved partition to accept Windows 10 1709. - Similar Threads - expand System Reserved

2. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  3. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  4. System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  5. System reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System reserved Partition: as you can probably see in the screenshot , my System reserved Partition and the partition where my windows is installed are on totally different drives: windows: drive 0 (SSD) System reserved Partition: drive 1 (HDD) what i want is simple: move System reserved Partition...
  6. How to create a System Reserved Partition???

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to create a System Reserved Partition???: In my laptop, i have 2 drives,first one is 1TB HDD which is completely empty and have no System Reserved Partition but second one is 120GB SSD, in which the windows 10 is installed and it also do have 549MB System Reserved partition. My question is there any to way to create...
  7. Windows 10 can't update system reserved partition; my system reserved partition is empty.

Windows 10 can't update system reserved partition; my system reserved partition is empty.: Hi, Trying to eliminate the freezing up problem with Windows 10. Recently noticed a key update KB3176938 has not been loaded to my system. In the settings, tried to update but got the message "Can't update the system reserved partition." OK, so poked around in Microsoft...
  8. Expand System Reserve Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Expand System Reserve Partition: Hi, Have a HP - Windows 10 Desktop. It originally came with windows 7. It upgraded fine to Windows 10, but when the latest version was released, it is unable to update as the System Reserved Partition is only 128 MB. I am also not getting the latest security updates as...
  9. Windows 10 without system reserved partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 without system reserved partitions: Hi can anybody please explain these two questions: A- How many are the partitions that windows 10 automatically creates during installation, what are they for and what is it stored in them? B- if I choose not to have them (for example by creating the windows partition with...
  10. No system reserved partition

No system reserved partition: Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to install I get the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. expand windows 10 100 mb partition