Windows 10: How to expose *.lnk and other valid shortcut extensions

Discus and support How to expose *.lnk and other valid shortcut extensions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; this is maddening folks, and I don't know a category here at tenforums that works for the question. I am having to go through every file due to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cognus, Apr 29, 2020.

1. cognus Win User

How to expose *.lnk and other valid shortcut extensions

this is maddening folks, and I don't know a category here at tenforums that works for the question.
    I am having to go through every file due to a really bad problem with copy integrity, so using tools to fetch and order both healthy and damaged files. Links/shortcuts are everywhere in this mess. I really NEED to see the real filename but windows seems to obfuscate links, leading to errors in the program that I'm using to sort the mess [File Locator Pro] and problems trying to properly rename real and valid shortcuts.

edit: the OS is Windows 10 Pro v1909

help pls. Puh-leezze
    c

:)

cognus, Apr 29, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

The term for extensions, such as .lnk, not being shown is Superhidden.

You can unhide Superhidden extensions using, for example, this guidance from SS64 but do use RegEdit to Export each Registry Key in .reg format first so you can return everything to normal afterwards.
    Superhidden file extensions - SS64
    - You can just do the bit you want by deleting all the other sections of the .reg file
    - If you are going to run the whole lot then make a system image forst

Denis

3. cognus Win User

Try3 this is very helpful.
    and this is interesting: I have been using File Locator Pro to go dig through the debris for files the user needs. It has a few typical search parameter choices, such as "documents", that should include damaged and good doc, docx, pdf, rtf, txt etc. Using that parameter, when it encounters a link to a doc, it 'prints' that in GUI as a "docx" or "doc" extension but in the "type" it will show 'shortcut'. I guess I can see why this somewhat confusing into is shown. However, after reading the ss64 detail you posted I went back to see what FLP would show if I simply request *.lnk - sure enough, it finds them and shows them as such.

very helpful. thank you much

cognus, May 23, 2020
  4. cognus Win User

this is maddening folks, and I don't know a category here at tenforums that works for the question.
    I am having to go through every file due to a really bad problem with copy integrity, so using tools to fetch and order both healthy and damaged files. Links/shortcuts are everywhere in this mess. I really NEED to see the real filename but windows seems to obfuscate links, leading to errors in the program that I'm using to sort the mess [File Locator Pro] and problems trying to properly rename real and valid shortcuts.

edit: the OS is Windows 10 Pro v1909

help pls. Puh-leezze
    c

cognus, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. How to expose *.lnk and other valid shortcut extensions - Similar Threads - expose lnk valid

2. Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied: I need your help with this shortcut link that I try to correct but I didn't. What I did is to right-click the desktop shortcut link of Microsoft Train Simulator (outdated but still can run the game) to Properties of this link. Then I change the line in Target box to add "...
  3. .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  4. .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  5. Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

in Cortana
    Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk): My computer that is running Windows 10, desktop search or Cortana, cannot find the shortcut files (files with the extension .lnk). The problem occurred after the update. I hope to help....
  6. "Win + R" "powershell" - Eliminar PowerShell Shortcut (.lnk)

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Win + R" "powershell" - Eliminar PowerShell Shortcut (.lnk): Buenas tardes, Tengo instalado Windows 10 versión 1803 (OS Build 17134.254) En un Surface laptop ---- Quiera saber donde localizar el PowerShell Shortcut (.lnk) que se ejecuta al entrar la combinación de teclas "Win + R" y escribir "powershell". La razón es que "jugando" con...
  7. How to show LNK extension?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to show LNK extension?: Hi! I want to show links extension LNK. Some Explorer replacements allowing it. How to enable showing LNK extension? Thank you for help. Miro 111886
  8. The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!

in Browsers and Email
    The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid!: Hi, Just turned computer on, and upon starting found "File Explorer" icon in Taskbar to be "flashing" together with the error message..... The Target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid! I am using Mozilla Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer, (IE being turned off)....
  9. Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder: Does anyone know of an app/script to: 1. scan whole folder/drive 2. find all files ending in .lnk (i.e. shortcuts) 3. if the thing that it's pointing to does not exist -> alert me / flag it / delete it / etc I'll continue searching online, but I must not be using the...
  10. How to get back shortcut (LNK) icon?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get back shortcut (LNK) icon?: Hi! I'm using MysticThumbs. There is possible to hide and show filetype icon overlay. I'm using also Stardock Fences - there's not this option. I have all set as show. Problem is that shortcut (LNK file) has not icon ovelay (small arrow) - but not everywhere - on desktop...