Windows 10: How to extend C partition

Discus and support How to extend C partition in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; One years ago I did a fresh Windows 10 installation with two partition C 200 GB and D 300GB but now I need more free storage for C. I have tried disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnissaRae, May 2, 2021.

1. AnissaRae Win User

How to extend C partition

One years ago I did a fresh Windows 10 installation with two partition C 200 GB and D 300GB but now I need more free storage for C. I have tried disk management but extend option is greyed out. I do not want to reinstall windows 10 again. it would be possible? plzz help

:)

AnissaRae, May 2, 2021

2. How to extend C partition

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the information provided.

Please to inform you that you need to have an “unallocated disk space” to the right of the Partition\Volume you wish to extend on the same drive. Only when “unallocated disk space” is available “extend” option is highlighted.

I suggest you to try these steps and check if they helps.

Step1: Press Windows + R and Diskmgmt.msc and try the following

a. Right click the basic volume want to extend.

b. Click extend volume.

c. Follow the instruction on the screen.

Step2: Open a command prompt and type diskpart.

At the DISKPART prompt, type list volume. Make note of the basic volume you want to extend.

At the DISKPART prompt, type select volume <volumenumber>. This selects the basic volume volumenumber that you want to extend into contiguous, empty space on the same disk.

At the DISKPART prompt, type extend [size=<size>]. This extends the selected volume by size megabytes (MB).

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sudharshan M K, May 2, 2021
  3. -xKevin- Win User

I don't understand stemp 2. What's the volume number for C:? What do I put for [size=<size>]?

-xKevin-, May 2, 2021
  4. How to extend C partition

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

1. Right-click on the partition (in your case, Data) and select
    Delete Volume.

2. When the prompt appears click Yes.

3. The partition will now display as Unallocated.

4. Now, right-click on C: Drive and select Extend Volume.

5. Click on Next. If you wish to extend all the unallocated partition to C: drive, then click
    Next otherwise next to select the amount of space in MB
    text box type in the space (in MB) to merge with C: drive.

6. Click on Finish.

Note: In disk management, D: drive must be next to the C: drive on the right-side only then you can extend C: drive.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, May 2, 2021
Thema:

1. How to extend C partition - Similar Threads - extend partition

2. Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent: I have 4 partitions on my C: drive, in order left-to-right on Disk Management: 579M Recovery Partition, 99.33G Boot, 100M EFI, 50G Unallocated. I want to merge the Boot partition with the Unallocated, but they are not adjacent. I've read several posts on this but I find them...
  3. Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent: I have 4 partitions on my C: drive, in order left-to-right on Disk Management: 579M Recovery Partition, 99.33G Boot, 100M EFI, 50G Unallocated. I want to merge the Boot partition with the Unallocated, but they are not adjacent. I've read several posts on this but I find them...
  4. Need to extend C: partition, but unallocated is not adjacent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?: Recently, I had an HP system fail the windows 10 update KB5034441. This system was not using Bitlocker which seems to be the cause of KB5034441 being pushed out as an update. According to many "tips", such as this one, the install failure will prevent future updates from...
  6. How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?

How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?: Recently, I had an HP system fail the windows 10 update KB5034441. This system was not using Bitlocker which seems to be the cause of KB5034441 being pushed out as an update. According to many "tips", such as this one, the install failure will prevent future updates from...
  7. How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Not able to extend my c drive as there is a healthy partition between my c drive and d drive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to extend my c drive as there is a healthy partition between my c drive and d drive ?: i want to extend my c drive by fomatting my d drive but there is a healthy partition between my C and D drive , so what am i supposed to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-extend-my-c-drive-as-there-is-a/68423c4d-bb72-4ab4-875a-45cdb680f744
  9. Not able to extend my c drive as there is a healthy partition between my c drive and d drive ?

Not able to extend my c drive as there is a healthy partition between my c drive and d drive ?: i want to extend my c drive by fomatting my d drive but there is a healthy partition between my C and D drive , so what am i supposed to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-extend-my-c-drive-as-there-is-a/68423c4d-bb72-4ab4-875a-45cdb680f744
  10. How to extend C partition without losing the applications installed on D partition C and D...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to extend C partition without losing the applications installed on D partition C and D...: Hello!I know there have been a lot of questions about this issue but those are either too old or do not apply to my situation.I have two disks: one has 1T space and the other one has 2T. This is a screenshot. Sorry I cannot change language as the system is pre-installed, but...