Windows 10: How to extend file path characters maximum limit manually?

Discus and support How to extend file path characters maximum limit manually? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to make a clone from mercurial repository. But, unfortunately it is refusing to clone because of the length of the file path. It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kishorejana, Sep 26, 2019.

1. How to extend file path characters maximum limit manually?

I am trying to make a clone from mercurial repository. But, unfortunately it is refusing to clone because of the length of the file path. It's displaying as below,

abort: The filename or extension is too long.

After trying the solutions in different articles, I can't overcome this problem. Suggest me a better solution.

Note: The articles I referred in this community doesn't solve my problem, as it is stating that it cannot be extended.

:)

Kishorejana, Sep 26, 2019
  2. caveljan Win User

Extend NTFS 260 characters filename path limit

Hello,

I am trying to use the Windows 10 feature promoted
    here
    and
    here
    to extend the filename path limit beyond 260 characters (enable long paths in gpedit.msc, add LongPathsEnabled registry in regedit), but even if I follow the instructions to the letter, the limit still won't be removed.

Has anyone met this behaviour? What can I do to remove the limit?

I am using Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607.

caveljan, Sep 26, 2019
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Path Limit

Hi,

This error appears when the name of the file/path names exceeds the 260 character limit . We suggest changing the name of the file/path as an initial troubleshooting in resolving the issue.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Sep 26, 2019
  4. adnanj85 Win User

How to extend file path characters maximum limit manually?

SharePoint: Windows File Path Limit

I have found that syncing folders to SharePoint one-drive limits the file path character limit to 218 characters and it counts "space" as equal to 3 characters, encoded to %20. Please confirm if any other special character is encoded and will be taking more
    space which eventually means the actual path is less than 218 characters.

Other Info:

Office 365/SharePoint Online.

One-Drive: Build 18.151.0729.0012

adnanj85, Sep 26, 2019
Thema:

How to extend file path characters maximum limit manually?

1. How to extend file path characters maximum limit manually? - Similar Threads - extend file path

2. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters: I want to limit the number of characters of Computer Name from 15 to 8 characters in answer file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-limit-computer-name-characters-in-answer/986deac8-279f-4115-8b15-a0c8b6887b1c
  3. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters: I want to limit the number of characters of Computer Name from 15 to 8 characters in answer file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-limit-computer-name-characters-in-answer/986deac8-279f-4115-8b15-a0c8b6887b1c
  4. How to limit computer name characters in answer file? For example a limitation of 8 characters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can a Maximum Path Length Limitation deactivation cause problems?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a Maximum Path Length Limitation deactivation cause problems?: Dear Microsoft Community, I have a question about the path length in Windows. This is 260 characters by default, isn't it? However, now I read that you can disable it. Here is an official article:...
  6. File share Maximum Path Length Limitation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File share Maximum Path Length Limitation: Dear Expert, Our company has some issue that the share drive's path more than 256 characters. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd as I check, it can extend the limitation on that, but I'm confused if I need to enable it...
  7. File share Maximum Path Length Limitation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File share Maximum Path Length Limitation: Dear Expert, Our company has some issue that the share drive's path more than 256 characters. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd as I check, it can extend the limitation on that, but I'm confused if I need to enable it...
  8. File share Maximum Path Length Limitation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Windows 10 Disable maximum path limitation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Disable maximum path limitation: I wanted to disable the path limitation because I need it for my projects for a better organization, but it doesn't seem to work. I tried to disable it from Registry and from Group Policy by setting LongPathsEnabled to 1, and by enabling "Enable Win32 longs paths", but even...
  10. How to remove 260 characters limit of the Windows 10 NTFS paths?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove 260 characters limit of the Windows 10 NTFS paths?: I read the article: How to enable paths longer than 260 characters in Windows 10 it suggests two ways: A) 1. Hit the Windows key, type gpedit.msc and press Enter. 2. Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem >...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. extended file path limit windows

2. extend the path character