Windows 10: How to extend storage in C: after I shrunk D:

Discus and support How to extend storage in C: after I shrunk D: in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I extend the storage in C: drive after I shrunk the amount in D: drive. Both are NTFS but the C: drive still has extend greyed out. Please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlyssaMcIlvain, Nov 23, 2020.

1. How to extend storage in C: after I shrunk D:

How do I extend the storage in C: drive after I shrunk the amount in D: drive. Both are NTFS but the C: drive still has extend greyed out. Please Help!!

:)

AlyssaMcIlvain, Nov 23, 2020
  2. Anwille Win User

extend c drive storage space

Hi, I'm , an Independent Advisor.

Disk Management is a Windows built-in tool that supports to increase partition size with its "Extend Volume" feature. However, the program has some limitations in increasing disk space:

- Extend Volume only works on NTFS and RAW partition. FAT32 and other file systems are not supported.

- The Extend Volume will grey out if there is no adjacent unallocated space behind the target partition.

So, the ways to increasing C drive with or without adjacent unallocated space are different. Open the Disk Management, and follow the right tutorials listed below to extend the local disk C drive on your own now:

#1. Increase C Drive Space with Adjacent Unallocated Space

Step 1. Right-click This PC/My Computer, click "Manage", select "Disk Management" under Storage.

Step 2. Locate and right-click on the local disk C drive, and choose "Extend Volume".

Step 3. Set and add more space to your system C drive and click "Next" to continue.

Step 4. Click "Finish" to complete the process.

Note that if that unallocated space on your system disk is not behind the C drive, you can't extend C drive in Disk Management.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help you further!

Anwille, Nov 23, 2020
  3. WiIfred P Win User
    Extend Volume C:

As for extending your Local Drive C. Since you mentioned that you are trying to use a shrunk space from your Local Drive D, is it a different physical hard drive from your local drive C? Can you please provide a screenshot of the disk management showing
    both local drive C and D.

WiIfred P, Nov 23, 2020
  4. Keegman Win User

How to extend storage in C: after I shrunk D:

I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend

So I have 237gb of storage on my C drive and it is nearly full, my D drive has 931gb of storage and is completely empty. in an attempt to solve this problem I went online looking at different forums and articles and many recommended that I delete D drive
    so i can extend C drive, but it will not give me the option after deleting it.

Keegman, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

How to extend storage in C: after I shrunk D:

1. How to extend storage in C: after I shrunk D: - Similar Threads - extend storage shrunk

2. How To Temporarily Extend C-Drive With External Storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How To Temporarily Extend C-Drive With External Storage: For better context, feel free to visit Page 3 of my "Correcting An Endless 'Automatic Repair' Loop" thread. Details and screengrabs are included in the most recent posts.I would like to ask the Microsoft Community about using an external storage device in order to temporarily...
  3. How To Temporarily Extend C-Drive With External Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Temporarily Extend C-Drive With External Storage: For better context, feel free to visit Page 3 of my "Correcting An Endless 'Automatic Repair' Loop" thread. Details and screengrabs are included in the most recent posts.I would like to ask the Microsoft Community about using an external storage device in order to temporarily...
  4. How To Temporarily Extend C-Drive With External Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can i extend my C drive volume to D

How can i extend my C drive volume to D: I am using Windows 10 and my C drive is almost full how can I extend the space to D so that I can install other apps to in my C drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-extend-my-c-drive-volume-to-d/60806b96-dcc3-42e7-b0fa-c091cac59d7f
  6. how to extend storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to extend storage: recently I bought a new pc which has only 500 GB HDD storage my old pc also have a 160 GB HDD which is working fine but it has windows 7 installed on it now I want to use this old 160 GB HDD on my new pc as storage but I don't know what should I do first. can I just plug it...
  7. how to extend storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to extend storage: recently I bought a new pc which has only 500 GB HDD storage my old pc also have a 160 GB HDD which is working fine but it has windows 7 installed on it now I want to use this old 160 GB HDD on my new pc as storage but I don't know what should I do first. can I just plug it...
  8. D drive shrunk after reset?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    D drive shrunk after reset?: Yesterday after restarting my computer I got a "repairing drives" message. It would then fail and give me some options to restart or try to fix or reset drives. Nothing would work including reset drives which would fail every time. So I installed windows from a windows USB...
  9. I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend: So I have 237gb of storage on my C drive and it is nearly full, my D drive has 931gb of storage and is completely empty. in an attempt to solve this problem I went online looking at different forums and articles and many recommended that I delete D drive so i can extend C...
  10. Storage File C and D

Storage File C and D: Hi, Apologies my understanding of Windows 10 is not what it should be !! My C Drive is full and I have done everything requested to free up space but it has had little effect I bought some extra space on my D Drive a couple of months back and thought this would resolve the...