Windows 10: How to figure out whats stopping a computer from booting?

Discus and support How to figure out whats stopping a computer from booting? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A laptop of mine recently decided to stop working. I used chkdsk on the hard drive a few times but that just said the diskor the filesystem at least... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Onixiya, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Onixiya Win User

How to figure out whats stopping a computer from booting?

A laptop of mine recently decided to stop working. I used chkdsk on the hard drive a few times but that just said the diskor the filesystem at least was good. I've ran memtest86 on it for about a hour with no problems so i don't think ram is a problem for it. How would i find out whats actually wrong with it?

:)

Onixiya, Feb 29, 2020

2. Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Feb 29, 2020
  3. GNJha Win User
    Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Feb 29, 2020
  4. How to figure out whats stopping a computer from booting?

Computer keeps re-booting

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then check.

Method 2

I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 3

If the above method doesn’t help, I suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back to their default settings. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Method 4: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

How to figure out whats stopping a computer from booting?

1. How to figure out whats stopping a computer from booting? - Similar Threads - figure whats stopping

2. How to clear disk space and how to figure out what to clear?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clear disk space and how to figure out what to clear?: So i havve that problem of my C drive being full constantly and i tried disk cleanup, deleting temp files, etc. I downloaded TreeSize and can see most of it is Steam Program files and was just wondering if i could get some help with next steps....
  3. Can't figure out what's crashing my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't figure out what's crashing my computer: I recently upgrade my motherboard, CPU, SSD, and memory sticks on my computer. Essentially everything but the graphics card has been replaced. I also gave it a fresh install of windows 10, updated all the drivers I could find updates for, and I updated the BIOS. Since...
  4. Can't figure out what's crashing my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't figure out what's crashing my computer: I recently upgrade my motherboard, CPU, SSD, and memory sticks on my computer. Essentially everything but the graphics card has been replaced. I also gave it a fresh install of windows 10, updated all the drivers I could find updates for, and I updated the BIOS. Since...
  5. Can't figure out what's crashing my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Windows error, can’t figure out how to boot it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows error, can’t figure out how to boot it: I have the error 0xc000014c and have plugged in a usb drive with windows 10 but can’t figure out where to go from here. Help? :( submitted by /u/idrlikethis [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eu2e18/windows_error_cant_figure_out_how_to_boot_it/
  7. How to figure out what firmware was installed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to figure out what firmware was installed: Good morning, My SurfaceGo just installed some new firmware. I checked the UpdateHistory but could not find anything. Any suggestions on how to figure out what firmware was installed ? Thanks Lee 127740
  8. How to figure out what firmware was installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to figure out what firmware was installed: Good morning, My SurfaceGo just installed some new firmware. I checked the UpdateHistory but could not find anything. Any suggestions on how to figure out what firmware was installed ? Thanks Lee 127740
  9. Cannot figure out what is now waking computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot figure out what is now waking computer: This started a few days ago and I can not find the culprit. Monitor will go to sleep, only to wake up at some unknown interval; if I manually put the computer to sleep, such as around 2100 last night, I will find it awake, as I did this morning at 0430. The other computer...
  10. How do I figure out what caused my computer to freeze?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I figure out what caused my computer to freeze?: what do you mean event viewer You have an Event Viewer under Computer Management. It tracks...events...such as crashes, driver crashes, etc. That's always your first stop for diagnosing issues like this.