Windows 10: How to find ChkDsk results in Event Viewer logs in Windows 10

Discus and support How to find ChkDsk results in Event Viewer logs in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; We run ChkDsk on our computer systems to find and fix the errors. After completing the scanning, the chkdsk results are saved in Event Viewer. You can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 23, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to find ChkDsk results in Event Viewer logs in Windows 10

We run ChkDsk on our computer systems to find and fix the errors. After completing the scanning, the chkdsk results are saved in Event Viewer. You can read the chkdsk results in the Event Viewer with some clicks. In the case of corruption, sudden power failure, etc., Windows executes the chkdsk command automatically and checks the system for errors. Besides this, you can also schedule the chkdsk in Windows 10 for disk error checking. The chkdsk utility in Windows 10 fixes various performance issues and makes the system run smoothly.

Windows saves the chkdsk results in Event Viewer so that the user can read them and take additional troubleshooting steps. But many users do not know how to read the Event Viewer Log for Check Disk on a Windows 10 machine. In this article, we will show you the steps that help you find the chkdsk results in Event Viewer logs.

How to view ChkDsk log in Event Viewer

We will use the following two methods to view the Event Viewer logs for chkdsk:

1. Using the Event Viewer app on Windows 10.
    2. Using the Windows PowerShell.
    1] Reading ChkDsk results using the Event Viewer app

Follow the below-listed steps.

1] Type “Event Viewer” in the Windows search box and click on the app to launch it.

2] In the Event Viewer app, expand the “Windows Logs” section in the left panel.

How to find ChkDsk results in Event Viewer logs in Windows 10 find-Chkdsk-results-in-Event-Viewer_1.png

3] Now, right-click on the “Application” option and click “Filter Current Log.”

How to find ChkDsk results in Event Viewer logs in Windows 10 find-Chkdsk-results-in-Event-Viewer_2.png

3] In the Event Sources drop-down menu, select the checkboxes for “chkdsk” and “wininit.” When you are done, click OK.

How to find ChkDsk results in Event Viewer logs in Windows 10 find-Chkdsk-results-in-Event-Viewer_3-493x500.png

After performing these steps, you will be able to view the chkdsk results in the Event Viewer center panel.

Select a particular log and its details will be available in the bottom center panel.

2] Viewing ChkDsk results using the PowerShell

Let’s see the steps to view chkdsk results using the Windows PowerShell.

1] Type PowerShell in the Windows search box and click on the Windows PowerShell app.

2] In the PowerShell window, type the following command and press the Enter key to execute it.

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message

This will show you the chkdsk logs.

3] You can also export the chkdsk logs in the text file. For this, type the following command in the PowerShell and hit Enter.

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\chkdsklog.txt

The file will be saved on your Desktop with the name “chkdsklog.”

Do note that the PowerShell command provides you only with the most recent chkdsk logs. Hence, if you want a detailed chkdsk log, please follow the first method listed in this article.

This is how you can find and view the chkdsk results in Event Viewer logs.

Related post that you may like to read: ChkDsk stuck at a particular % or hangs at some stage.

How to find ChkDsk results in Event Viewer logs in Windows 10 find-Chkdsk-results-in-Event-Viewer_3.png
    This article How to find ChkDsk results in Event Viewer logs in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 23, 2021

2. there are no chkdsk logs in event viewer

i have run a few chkdsk commands on my hdd and on a few usb sticks, however i can't find any log in the event viewer regarding the chkdsk output.

the commands complete successfully (as i see in the CMD window), it's only the logs that never appear in the event viewer.

Alexios Gk, Apr 23, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    chkdsk and event viewer

Chkdsk /F just checks the file system integrity. Stage 4 of Chkdsk is checking for bad blocks in used sectors. Stage 5 checks for bad blocks in the unused sectors. This can be very time consuming, especially so if any bad blocks are found. These stages only run if you use the /R option for chkdsk, or the /B option for an ntfs volume. Type CHKDSK /? to see the full help.

To read the chkdsk results, see this tutorial.

Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10

Alternatively, Chkdsk run at boot stores its results in the hidden and protected Syatem Volume Information Folder. You do not have permission to explore this folder, but if you run TreeSizeFree as an adminitrator you can see its contents and read the Chkdsk logs.

How to find ChkDsk results in Event Viewer logs in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. Callender Win User

Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10

If I use this path it doesn't work:

If I use this path then it works fine:

Callender, Apr 23, 2021
Thema:

1. How to find ChkDsk results in Event Viewer logs in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - find ChkDsk results

2. Bad block in Event Viewer which CHKDSK doesn't find

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad block in Event Viewer which CHKDSK doesn't find: I have reviewed the many posts found about this issue. I have taken the suggested steps CHKDSK, DISM, etc. including running the Seagate Utilities. I've even replaced the hard drive. I'm still seeing the events appearing in Event Viewer. Window 10 PRO seems to think my system...
  3. Bad block in Event Viewer which CHKDSK doesn't find

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad block in Event Viewer which CHKDSK doesn't find: I have reviewed the many posts found about this issue. I have taken the suggested steps CHKDSK, DISM, etc. including running the Seagate Utilities. I've even replaced the hard drive. I'm still seeing the events appearing in Event Viewer. Window 10 PRO seems to think my system...
  4. Bad block in Event Viewer which CHKDSK doesn't find

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't find chkdsk results

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't find chkdsk results: I just did chkdsk test on main drive, after restart. And after login no results were shown... And it is not in Event Viewer, but it showed previous chkdsk tests, weird... I tried filter by event Sources: Wininit, chkdsk, or event id 26226 and it is not there. 180470
  6. How to find and view BSOD log files in Windows 10 Event Viewer

in Windows 10 News
    How to find and view BSOD log files in Windows 10 Event Viewer: When a Blue Screen of Death error occurs, Windows displays its details and code for a short time and restart the PC. Even sometimes Windows restart so quickly that the users cannot note down the error code. In such situations, BSOD log files can help. In this post, we will...
  7. chkdsk and event viewer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk and event viewer: chkdsk does not do 4 & 5 and event viewer does not find. How do I check disk for errors? And correct errors? (sfc /scannow still scans but is it working? It has not found integrity violation in 5 months). 171334
  8. chkdsk and event viewer

in Windows 10 Support
    chkdsk and event viewer: chkdsk does not do 4 & 5 and event viewer does not find. How do I check disk for errors? And correct errors? (sfc /scannow still scans but is it working? It has not found integrity violation in 5 months). 171334
  9. Event Viewer Logs

in Windows 10 Support
    Event Viewer Logs: I’m currently on Win10 Pro x64, version 1709, Build 16299.371. Searching in my Event Viewer, I noticed some logs under the “Applications and Services Logs” folder, which I don’t recall having previously (pointed with red arrow, in the image) and are all inactive! Can...
  10. Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10: How to: Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 How to Read Event Viewer Log for Chkdsk (Check Disk) in Windows 10 [img] Information Checking your drives for errors every once in a while can help fix some performance issues. Drive errors can usually be caused by...