Windows 10: How to find File and Folder Ownership information using Command Prompt

Discus and support How to find File and Folder Ownership information using Command Prompt in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]This step by step guide will show you how you can find the File & Folder Ownership information using Command Prompt. It is possible to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Dec 30, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

How to find File and Folder Ownership information using Command Prompt

WinClub, Dec 30, 2019
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Dec 30, 2019
  3. Take Ownership

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are unable to take full ownership of the files and folders.

I would recommend you to see if you are logged in administrator account, if not then enable it. Please follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to enable the built in administrator account.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt. To do that you need to do the following:

• Press the Windows key t+ R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box
    • Enter cmd and right-click on the Command Prompt result that should appear.
    • This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select Run as administrator there.
    • Accept the UAC prompt
    • Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Can't take ownership of external hard disk

Hi Jenil,

Welcome to the Microsoft community.

In order to assist you better could you please confirm a few things like:

• Have you installed any third party folder lock software on your computer?
    I would suggest you to follow methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Step 1: Make sure that you are logged in as an administrator.

Step 2: Try to take ownership of the files and check if it helps.

Taking ownership of a folder from explorer

1) Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer.

2) Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu.

3) Click on "Security" tab.

4) Click on “Advanced” button.

5) Now click on "Owner" tab in Advanced Security Settings for User windows.

6) Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list.

7) Click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.

8) Now select User/group and click apply and ok. Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder.

9) Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed.

10) Now Owner name must have changed.

11) Now click Ok to exist from Properties windows.

Once you have taken the ownership of file or folder next part comes is granting permissions to that file/folder or object.

If the above method doesn’t work, you could try taking ownership from the command line.

Or Taking ownership of a file or folder from command line

Open an elevated Command Prompt window.

To do so:

a. press windows + X.

b. Select Command Prompt as Administrator.

c. Type the following command and press ENTER:

takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y

d. To assign the Administrators group Full Control Permissions for the folder, use this syntax:

icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T

The /T parameter is added so that the operation is carried out through all the sub-directories and files within that folder.

e. To know more information about the above commands, run these commands from a Command Prompt window.

takeown /?

icacls /?

Once you take ownership, you can grant permissions on those files or folders.

Method 2:

Try the steps in the following Microsoft article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Chkdsk disclaimer.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. WE will be glad to assist.

Arul_D, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

1. How to find File and Folder Ownership information using Command Prompt - Similar Threads - find File Folder

2. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    renaming multiple files using the command prompt: Hello,I had a few dozen files that used a naming convention beginning with an abbreviation for a city in this case, WI and then an alpha-numeric sequence that was unique to each file. I wanted to rename the files to include the entire city name in this case, Windsor without...
  3. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    renaming multiple files using the command prompt: Hello,I had a few dozen files that used a naming convention beginning with an abbreviation for a city in this case, WI and then an alpha-numeric sequence that was unique to each file. I wanted to rename the files to include the entire city name in this case, Windsor without...
  4. How to unhide files in command prompt?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to unhide files in command prompt?: Im a standard user trying to make a new admin account. I was trying to do the sethc.exe trick but i accidentally hid the windows folder and everything within it. Im a standard user so I can't unhide it unless i have the admin password. Ive been trying to use attrib -h -s...
  5. How to open a File or Folder using Command Prompt or PowerShell in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to open a File or Folder using Command Prompt or PowerShell in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Thanks to the graphical user interface of Windows 10, users can get just about […] This article How to open a File or Folder using Command Prompt or PowerShell in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. How to find Outlook .ost /.pst files in command prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to find Outlook .ost /.pst files in command prompt: Windows 10 has developed a critical error and, following the assessment of an expert technician, I have been advised to reinstall. The process will remove all apps but preserve my files which are, in any event, backed up daily. I am not sure if the reinstall will erase...
  7. Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt

Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt: Surface Pro 3 64bit Hi there, I originally began trying to create touch index.html from ubuntu in the command prompt. It said touchcannot touch no such file or directory . I tried doing the same thing from git bash but same message. I've also tried to create a folder in...
  8. How to delete files and folders using Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete files and folders using Command Prompt in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]At times, all our attempts to delete files or folders via File Explorer yield no results. Many reasons can be attributed to the failure, which can lock down the files/folders and prevent their deletion. In such cases, you can use [...] This post How to...
  9. Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders.

Need help using Command Prompt to delete files & folders.: This is the name of the folder I am trying to delete: I:\WD Backup.swstor DONT USE\Gary Smetana\N2M3NzM4ZTM3ZGZlNDE1OD\Volume{83749cc6-0000-0000-0000-501f00000000}\Users\Gary Smetana\Desktop\Favorites\Higgs Boson and GeV as mass I put that address into the following...
  10. Information on command prompts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Information on command prompts: I need imformation on command prompts https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/information-on-command-prompts/1809a681-23c4-487d-8beb-ce86307366ea