Windows 10: How to find file location in search function?!

Discus and support How to find file location in search function?! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys, At some point windows has changed the search function. I used to search for a file or folder, then when finding the file or folder. I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rscoo, Apr 9, 2020.

1. /u/rscoo Win User

How to find file location in search function?!

Hey guys,
    At some point windows has changed the search function.
    I used to search for a file or folder, then when finding the file or folder. I would hit the 'up arrow' directory function in the explorer window. It used to go to the folder where the found file was stored. You could then keep going up the directory from there.
    Now it just goes back to where you searched from.

The only fix I can think of is to go to the file properties to find the directory. But this is super annoying.

Any other ideas? or is the a setting I can change?

submitted by /u/rscoo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rscoo, Apr 9, 2020
  2. MattCorey Win User

My search is not functioning

1. Use the shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager.
    2. If you see only a handful programs listed by it click on the "more details" link.
    3. Locate "Cortana" under background processes.
    4. Right-click on the process and select "end task" from the context menu.
    The Cortana process is reloaded right away by the operating system.

i strongly suggest u to follow step by step fix with pictures on https://geeksadvice.com/fix-windows-search-not-working/

MattCorey, Apr 9, 2020
  3. Unable to open any files/folders using Search function on Windows 10

Hi,

To resolve your concern about searching any files/folders with an index rebuild, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Go to Control Panel and find Indexing Options.
    • Under Indexing Options, make sure that Windows is indexing the location on which your files/folders are saved.
    If the files are not listed like the Users folder (Documents and Desktop folders), you can manually add them.

• Click Modify then you should see the list of all locations on your computer.
    • Find the desired drive or folder which contains the files you'd like to be indexed and check the box next to it.
    • Hit OK and you'll return to the Indexing Options.
    NOTE: If you're not facing a total malfunction of Windows Search, you can quickly jump to
    Indexing Options by searching from the Start Menu (Windows 7 and Windows 10) or the
    Start Screen (Windows 8 and 8.1).

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Apr 9, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

File folder search function no longer works

I suggest you remove your cloud drive from the equation until it's clear indexing is working on your internal drive. Were you trying to use Windows search indexing to find things only in cloud storage? Items indexed should be as per your Indexing Options. I've certainly never tried using it to index something in cloud storage. Unless that appears as a drive letter you wont be able to specify it in Indexed locations.

Note this discussion about indexing Onedrive as an example:
    OneDrive indexing for WIndows Search – Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-88984b798fce

But here Dropbox is reported as being indexed:
    OneDrive Personal does not show up in Indexing Options after moving to C:/OneDrive in Windows 10 - Super User

Does that mean searching indexed locations on your internal drive works?

Otherwise:
    Please check search indexing is working as per post #4.
    Then try open explorer at an indexed folder and try searching for a file on your disk.

dalchina, Apr 9, 2020
Thema:

1. How to find file location in search function?! - Similar Threads - find file location

2. why does the search function not find tagged files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does the search function not find tagged files?: in explorer i use the tag function under file properties. however the search function in explorer fails to find the tagged files. this problem has only newly arisen - worked fine before a few days ago....
  3. why does the search function not find tagged files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does the search function not find tagged files?: in explorer i use the tag function under file properties. however the search function in explorer fails to find the tagged files. this problem has only newly arisen - worked fine before a few days ago....
  4. How to find location of file/app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find location of file/app?: I cant find the option "open file location" or "properties" in my windows 11 when i right click a specific app... is there any other way to find the location of an app or file?...
  5. How to find location of file/app?

How to find location of file/app?: I cant find the option "open file location" or "properties" in my windows 11 when i right click a specific app... is there any other way to find the location of an app or file?...
  6. Odd functionality of searching for files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Odd functionality of searching for files: This is a bit of an obscure issue, and I hope I can explain it well enough to get some help. When a website or app has the option to add a file, it opens a file explorer window. In the top right of this window is a search box. As you type a file name in that search box, a...
  7. Cannot find file location

Cannot find file location: Help! I want to find the file location of a game on my PC, but it won't let me cos i do not have the permissions. i cannot configure the permissions to let me access the files. what do i do?...
  8. File Explorer "cannot find" location of file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer "cannot find" location of file: This problem started just a few days ago: The app has its icon on the task bar but now defaults to Windows can't locate file...?. I can go C:\Programs Files x86...; click on .exe and even then I get same error msg., I can execute same approach on any other app and it works...
  9. Windows 10 search function not finding any files in any folders

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search function not finding any files in any folders: I used to be able to type in part of the name of a file in a folder and the search function would find the file and I could click it. In the past couple of months, I have changed nothing but now whenever I search for a file in a folder (even if I type the entire name exactly...
  10. Windows Search finding files but not showing file location

in Cortana
    Windows Search finding files but not showing file location: Running Windows 10 Pro. When I search in a folder, the search comes up with a number of files. These files have names, size info, type info etc., but don't have an icon and don't show a folder path or location. This only appears to be a problem on a shared network folder;...