Windows 10: How to find out if I am Wifi-connected to Router or to Repeater?

Discus and support How to find out if I am Wifi-connected to Router or to Repeater? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The Wifi network here consists of a Router and a Repeater for it. Assume I am sitting with my notebook in the about mid between them. How can I find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pstein, Nov 27, 2019.

1. pstein Win User

How to find out if I am Wifi-connected to Router or to Repeater?

The Wifi network here consists of a Router and a Repeater for it.

Assume I am sitting with my notebook in the about mid between them.

How can I find out if the computer is currently connected to Router or to Repeater?
    ...without physically touching the devices (e.g. disabling the repeater)?

Peter

:)

pstein, Nov 27, 2019
  2. Leveller Win User

Setting up a wifi repeater woes - all advice appreciated!

First off, setting up a wifi repeater is one of the most ridiculously painful experiences I have ever had with tech hardware.

The needs:

... to be able to repeat the wifi output of my Netgear DG834N v1 ADSL/router to the upper floor of my house through the Edimax wireless 300M Range Extender (EW-7416APn v2). To enable my iPad2, 3DS, laptop and anything else that roams to maintain connection and not suffer dropouts.

The questions:

1. How do I know that the roaming devices are using the repeated signal from the Edimax extender and not just grasping on to the weak signal from the DG834N downstairs?

2. Some advice on the net suggest the router and the extender share the same SSID, which seems logical. However some suggest that the router and extender need to be on different SSIDs - but if this were the case surely the devices would only connect to the same SSID and ignore the other SSID?

3. If they use different SSIDs will the devices automatically pick the strongest signal and switch to whichever SSID that is?

4. Some advice suggests using the same channel number for both router and extender, which seems logical. Some advice suggests using different channel numbers for the router and extender - if using the same channel number, does this create too much data and make the connection worse?

5. If using different channel numbers, will the roaming devices automatically choose the right channel number based on connection strength?

6. While using the program WirelessMon I can see both the router and extender and their respective signal strengths, channel numbers and SSIDs - but there is no way of telling if the repeater is in fact repeating the routers signal - is there any software that will show that?

7. Is there any one trusted source for setting up a wifi repeater?

8. Will my hair grow back?

Leveller, Nov 27, 2019
  3. bencrutz Win User
    Setting up a wifi repeater woes - all advice appreciated!

1. you won't know. devices will choose the strongest signal automatically

2. if you are covering mobile devices (gadgets, laptops - moving location) it would be better of to use the same channel & SSID.

3. nope, AFAIK, that's not how it works.

4. i suggest u use the same channel & SSID. it won't make the connection any worse.

5. nope.

6. easy. your router connects to internet. if you get an internet connection from upstair, it means your repeater/extender is working properly

7. IDK, i believe i'm far far away from your location, so i can't tell

8. not likely.

bencrutz, Nov 27, 2019
  4. How to find out if I am Wifi-connected to Router or to Repeater?

Network Repeater Clash with Router?

Hi Simon,

Can you navigate your list of WiFis and disable the "Connect automatically" on your main router? This will make your laptop forget the router and will connect to the repeater directly only. Make sure that the repeater will the only WiFi
    source that has a "Connect automatically" option enabled.

How to find out if I am Wifi-connected to Router or to Repeater? ebf851ee-9178-4122-bb62-10500a3b94d5?upload=true.jpg

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Johann Eva, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

How to find out if I am Wifi-connected to Router or to Repeater?

1. How to find out if I am Wifi-connected to Router or to Repeater? - Similar Threads - find Wifi connected

2. Connection to WiFi router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connection to WiFi router: I installed a Wi-Fi adaptor card on my Motherboard. I disabled the onboard WiFi adaptor.In Control Panel/Internet Options/Connections I cannot find the full panel to edit/enter info to allow the new card to find my router.I conclude that I have missed a step, or do not...
  3. WiFi Device connect to Router WiFi Signal.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WiFi Device connect to Router WiFi Signal.: How do I get a Router to find a WiFi Adapter so that the WiFi adapter can pick up the Router WiFi signal ? The WiFi Router is useless as it needs to inherit a WiFi signal for it to work. I had Windows find the device once, but then I couldn't get it to find it again ?...
  4. Connecting to non-router wifi

Connecting to non-router wifi: Besides my wireless router, I have several other wifi "networks" in my home, that do not provide Internet service. For example, one of my endoscope cameras has such a network. When I disconnect from the router and connect to one of these, the "WLAN-Autoconfig" service part...
  5. Find WiFi Password for a saved network that I am not connected to

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Find WiFi Password for a saved network that I am not connected to: Hello! is there any way to find the password of a network i have saved on my computer but am currently not connected to? couldn't seen to find anything online thank you :) submitted by /u/nicolas-kevin [link] [comments]...
  6. connecting WIFI repeater

in Windows 10 Customization
    connecting WIFI repeater: Does any know how to connect a WIFI repeater? They are suppose to extend your WIFI range in your home. I keep getting the message that there is conflicting IP addresses. They both have the same address. How does one change the IP address on the repeater?...
  7. I cannot find my WiFi router on my laptop but see other wifi routers nearby

I cannot find my WiFi router on my laptop but see other wifi routers nearby: I need help. My WiFi router appears on all my devices except for one of my laptops. The same laptop can see all the other wifi routers nearby except mine. What is the problem? I tried rebooting the laptop and the router. Is there something in the setting blocking my...
  8. wifi repeater connection problem

wifi repeater connection problem: ok let me start off with this problem i installed a wavlink repeater in my house every computer in the house sees it and can connect to it but one laptop does not connect it sees it and i enter the password for it and it trys to connect but then says wont connect can some one...
  9. Connecting to Router/WIfi

Connecting to Router/WIfi: I can not connect to my Router/Modem at all. I have tried everything there is to be able to connect. I did get a msg come up from Microsoft that said problem was with Microsoft & to try back later. That was 2 days ago. Thank you...
  10. I have forgotten the password to Cisco RV320 WIFI router and am unable to find it in device...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have forgotten the password to Cisco RV320 WIFI router and am unable to find it in device...: How do I get to the router to reset it through Device Manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-forgotten-the-password-to-cisco-rv320-wifi/170657d5-a1e7-46b4-9282-062b25dff2ca

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to find whether i am connected to repeater or router