Windows 10: How to find specific phrase in search of all files in Documents folder

Discus and support How to find specific phrase in search of all files in Documents folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This used to work. By "used to," I mean it worked a couple of weeks ago. Now, when I'm in Windows and I click on the Documents folder and type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cosmicwords, Oct 8, 2019.

1. How to find specific phrase in search of all files in Documents folder

This used to work. By "used to," I mean it worked a couple of weeks ago. Now, when I'm in Windows and I click on the Documents folder and type something in the search box, using quotes, I no longer get a list of the documents containing the search terms but instead get a list of any and all documents that have any of the search terms.

For example, I'll type "for goodness' sake" in the search box and, astoundingly, I'll get a list of every document that contains the word "for" in it! Come on! What happened? Did I press the anti-magic button somewhere and now search no longer works? I actually need this for my job, where I often have to reference past documents and can't possibly guess which exact past document I need.

Help, please.

:)

cosmicwords, Oct 8, 2019
  2. JanO129 Win User

Windows 10 - How to search an exact phrase in file contents?

UberHaker, I opened a specific Word document, copied a specific phrase out of that document, typed in ~="the phrase" and searched in My Documents where the file was located. It never found that document! I then did the same search in the specific folder,
    but it never found that specific document. Instead, it finds single words, not the phrase! ARGHHH! So frustrating.

JanO129, Oct 8, 2019
  3. Phrase search using File Explorer

Hi Yoshiko,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, do let us know if you are trying to locate the phrase from a word document.

Please note that the search bar in file explorer will only look for folders and files and not for contents.

If it is a word document, I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps:

1. Open the document/file.

2. Press Ctrl + F to enable search option.

3. Type the phrase or word you are looking for without the quotes.

4. Check if you are able to locate what you are searching for.

Do let us know if this works. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 8, 2019
  4. How to find specific phrase in search of all files in Documents folder

Searching for Phrase in File Explorer

I'm not having a problem searching in folders of Excel and Word documents for single words like "word".

My problem is searching through Excel and Word documents in a folder for a phrase like ""how can I search for a phrase".

I'm getting results including individual words in the phrase like "how" or "I" but not the exact phrase.

Dan9Baldwin, Oct 8, 2019
Thema:

How to find specific phrase in search of all files in Documents folder

1. How to find specific phrase in search of all files in Documents folder - Similar Threads - find specific phrase

2. Finding deleted files - Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Finding deleted files - Documents folder: Hi.So I was making space on my harddrive yesterday. In doing so I found there was 30gb of stuff on my harddrive that I think was linked to an old work OneDrive account that I couldn't delete, even when I de selected 'read only'. So in trying to clean up the drive, I appear to...
  3. Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer: Hi there, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I am trying to search for the phrase ">1000" in 1000's of word documents. If I search for >1000 or even just the > symbol in the file contents it brings up almost every document listed. Is this because the search...
  4. Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer

Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer: Hi there, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I am trying to search for the phrase ">1000" in 1000's of word documents. If I search for >1000 or even just the > symbol in the file contents it brings up almost every document listed. Is this because the search...
  5. How to Seach for Documents with specific name and specific phrase in File Explorer

in Cortana
    How to Seach for Documents with specific name and specific phrase in File Explorer: In Windows 10 File Explorer, is there an AND operator that will allow you to seach for documents with a specifc name and which contain a specific phrase?For instance, can I search for documents with name:"Operating Agreement" which also contain the phrase "termination for...
  6. How to Seach for Documents with specific name and specific phrase in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Seach for Documents with specific name and specific phrase in File Explorer: In Windows 10 File Explorer, is there an AND operator that will allow you to seach for documents with a specifc name and which contain a specific phrase?For instance, can I search for documents with name:"Operating Agreement" which also contain the phrase "termination for...
  7. How to Seach for Documents with specific name and specific phrase in File Explorer

8. How to search for files that contain a text phrase?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to search for files that contain a text phrase?: how can I search for a file that contains a specified phrase, but may be in any directory or file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-search-for-files-that-contain-a-text-phrase/5044fb8d-6db8-4d94-8f0b-2d7d4dd3a556
  9. Can't Get Windows 10 Search To Find Files In A Specific Folder....

in Cortana
    Can't Get Windows 10 Search To Find Files In A Specific Folder....: I'm hoping someone can help me out here.... I have a folder - C:\MyStuff and I have a bunch of subfolders. I would like to be able to search for things by pressing the Windows key and then typing part of the name. I thought that would be possible - but Windows never...
  10. Search not finding all files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not finding all files: Hi everyone, We recently purchased two new Acer PC's running Windows 10 on a HDD. We also bought a SSD for each device which I then cloned the HDD to the SSD to decrease startup time. Please note that since cloning I have not formated or deleted any data on the HDD and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search options file explorer specific phrase

2. how to find a phrase only if file explorer

3. file explorer find documents containing phrase

4. how do i search for a phrase in my documents