Windows 10: how to find the file name for a DVD

Discus and support how to find the file name for a DVD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I loaded a DVD into my desktop PC and I don't know how to find that file. Where should I look for it?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TASS_757, Aug 16, 2019.

1. TASS_757 Win User

how to find the file name for a DVD

I loaded a DVD into my desktop PC and I don't know how to find that file. Where should I look for it?

:)

TASS_757, Aug 16, 2019

2. DVD RW drive will not open from file explorer and new Windows DVD player app will not work

Hi Lan,

Thank you for your response.

I would suggest you to follow the below methods to fix issue.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the hardware troubleshooter and check the issue status.

• Press “Windows key + X”.
    • Type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.
    • Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.
    • Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: I suggest you to uninstall and install the network adapter drivers as below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try updating the DVD\CD-ROM drives from device manager.

• Press Windows key+ X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand DVD\CD-ROM drives.
    • Right click on the driver select Update Driver Software.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: I suggest you to check and install if there is any latest firmware update for DVD drive from the computer manufacturer.

Also, see:
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Disclaimer: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry.

However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
    For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, follow the steps to do the same:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type regedit in the run box.
    • Locate and click the key or subkey that you want to back up.
    • Click the File menu, and then click Export.
    • In the Save in box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy to, and then type a name for the backup file in the
      File name box.
    • Click Save.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 16, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Burn files and documents to the computers DVD recorder

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check fi t helps

• Press Windows + x, and select Control panel.

• Select Auto play.

• Under DVD select Blank DVD.

• Click on Chose a Default.

• Select Burn file to Disk File Explorer.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Aug 16, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

1. how to find the file name for a DVD - Similar Threads - find file name

2. Find files with names with spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Find files with names with spaces: I have created duplicate files by accident in my music library, for example, I will have01 You Got It.m4a and 01 You Got It 2.m4aI, therefore, want to search all files that end on _2.m4a where my underscore represents a space for explanation.However, when I search on "*...
  3. How to find out long name files and folders in W10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to find out long name files and folders in W10?: everytime I try to copy a big folder it gives me an error for hundreds of files that have names too long, so I need to find out which of my files in my HD have long names or paths. At first I thought this should be incredibly straightforward and easy, but this is windows and...
  4. How to find a File name?

How to find a File name?: I transferred a photo CD from CVS to my computer so that I could Email them to someone, I prepare the email I go to file Explorer click on what I want to send, hit open then the box to the left of the open key asks for the file name, what and where can I find the "File...
  5. Finding files with obscure names

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding files with obscure names: Files may appear in Windows Explorer with names that give no clue as to their nature or purpose. The names may be important to allow programs that depend on them to find them, or there may be other reasons why they should not be changed. What is the best way to add metadata...
  6. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder: Two odd things are happen to my files: 1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name 2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a library) Here's what is happening in explorer: I search for the text OLD, the results come up: file=IMG_3654.JPG folder...
  7. Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content

in Windows 10 Support
    Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content: Hi. In Windows 10, is it possible to find documents with the same content but different filenames? 121161
  8. how to find a saved document from notepad. file name unkown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to find a saved document from notepad. file name unkown: help to find document https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_books/how-to-find-a-saved-document-from-notepad-file/e3af08d5-9f76-4a32-b3d1-409932be885e
  9. How do I find the path to the ISO file of a mounted virtual DVD.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How do I find the path to the ISO file of a mounted virtual DVD.: Downloaded Windows 10 Iso using a program from one of the links here: Windows ISO Version 1511 help needed - Windows 10 Forums, and I have the ISO mounted as a virtual DVD drive - but cannot find where the ISO has downloaded to. Is there an easy generic way - command line,...
  10. How to find PC's previous name?

How to find PC's previous name?: I just did a Windows 10 reset. It is my main machine and other wireless network machines print through it. Now I cannot print from the remote machines, I'm assuming because the reset machine now has a new name. Where on my remote machines might I find a network path...